• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Has anybody built a driver?

gtown68

Loc.
Georgetown, Texas
68 U14 Daily Driver

It's like all the rest, a work in progress, but a street ride. No intention of off-roading it.
(302, C-4 Auto, pwr steering, pwr disc brakes up front, A/C, seats from 2005 Ranger (60/40 split bench), head liner, reversed bulkhead, 31x10.50 AT's)
Working on the body, getting it ready to paint.
Actually drive a company truck daily, but take the Bronco out on Wednesdays and weekends.

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
I built mine to be a driver. Well I kept it within reason. 2" lift, 31" tires, relatively stock drivetrain that is tweaked just a bit for my liking. If you go radical, you are going to wind up not having a DD but another project just the same as a serious trail rig.

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My first EB that I built with 33's is now my wife's rig and stays on the road 99% of the time. It does have lockers and 4.11's so I've got to play in it some, especially when mine is on jack stands in the garage.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
My DD will be a 74 with a mild lift and probably 33", PS, PDB up front and an NV3550. Top off for the summer and a soft top in it's place. Will not see teh snow.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Mine is a driver. here is proof. I also just got back from a nice little drive around the area. got kinda cold, it's 45 degrees out.

Attachments

• P1010028.JPG
    P1010028.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 92
  • P1010029.JPG
    P1010029.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 49
  • P1010030.JPG
    P1010030.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 53

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I sure love seeing pictures of your ride, Bax. That thing is gorgeous! I'm sure you hear that a lot, but its well deserved.
Thank you very much. My daughter said "it's fun to drive around and break necks" Kinda made me laugh.

yak67

Bronco Guru
Mine is a driver more than a trail rig.....to be a trail rig, it would need to see trails right???? I don't get out much anymore, and I'm too scared now to mess up my new paint. I think you could have a nice driver with around a 3.5" lift and 33's or 35's, power steering, hydro disc brakes, and a 5 speed.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I consider mine to be on the upper edge of what I would still call a driver. Then again I am getting soft and that probably is moving the line for what I cal a driver down even more.

33" tires are about as tall as you would want to go. Braking starts degrading after that. Also life expetancy of ball joints and wheel bearing goes down exponentioally with taller tires as well. Lift should be moderate as well. 2½ or maybe 3½" at most. My soft trail springs ride good, but handling suffers. This thing leans like a sailboat in turns. Scares the crap out of passengers, I learn to live with it. I took it to work and put it on the skid pad once. I made a U-turn and decided that was the end of the handling test. I really should consider a sway bar for the street. But I do like the springs, they do ride nice.

I did use mine as a semi-daily driver for several years. My main transportation was a motorcycle. With that I found a need to have 4 dependable wheels. The roof and doors stayed on the whole time. Never could tell when I would need a dry ride to work.

For a daily driver, look for comfort upgrades more then anything. Good seats, quiet muffler, that kind of stuff. Stock is reliable. I didn't say stock Bronco, stock mustang engine is still a stock engine and is reliable, just a little more fun. Custom trick parts are not a good choice for a daily driver.

DJBRONCO

Loc.
Pawleys Island
I bought mine to be a weekend toy. After a few upgrades and changes it has become my full time daily driver. I really do drive this to and from work every single day of the week. I hate to say it but I can't imagine taking it off road and beating on it. This thing has turned into my baby. I have a few other toys and there is nothing I would rather drive more than the Bronco.

It's a 72 with pdb up front, ps, ac, c4 auto and it really drives great. I need a new set of tires but the truck really drives well and it gets a ton of attention on the road. I have people asking questions or making offers to buy it almost everytime I stop for gas or go to the store.
my.php
[/URL][/IMG] [/IMG]
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

OP
OP
Gud Racing

Gud Racing

Bronco Guru
I am thinking of something along the lines of this bronco. As far back as I can remember we've always had an EB. I have so many found memories of riding in the back of my Dad's 74. That old bronco has been everywhere from driving to New Orleans to black-bear pass. It was basically stock and did it all with no problem. I am not sure my old bronco really needs much more than cleaned up and maintained.

My66.jpg

OP
OP
Gud Racing

Gud Racing

Bronco Guru
I bought mine to be a weekend toy. After a few upgrades and changes it has become my full time daily driver. I really do drive this to and from work every single day of the week. I hate to say it but I can't imagine taking it off road and beating on it. This thing has turned into my baby. I have a few other toys and there is nothing I would rather drive more than the Bronco.

It's a 72 with pdb up front, ps, ac, c4 auto and it really drives great. I need a new set of tires but the truck really drives well and it gets a ton of attention on the road. I have people asking questions or making offers to buy it almost everytime I stop for gas or go to the store.
my.php
[/URL][/IMG] [/IMG]
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

I've gotta say Wow! That is nice. I don't think I wouldn't of cut the fenders on this bronco if they weren't already done. I sure like the looks of a nice stock bronco! These day's that's what's out of the norm.

SeaninSt.Cloud

Put your money toward a new vehicle. Don't wind up like that guy who needs a drive shaft to get to work. Gamble with only with that which you can afford to lose. 40 year old vehicles are for weekend fun, not daily commutes. Those that try always break down-no 3 year 36k warranty and roadside assistance.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
My first Bronco was my DD for 2 years, had 2 1/2" lift, Q-78's 302 3 spd. in 2 years I put 100k on the odometer and the biggest issues I had were,
Timing chain, went while I was playing in East Lake Toho, Best Bass Boat I ever had.
Rear Drive Shaft, went out on Nova Road, 20 miles from anything, pulled the shaft, locked the hubs and drove on.
Other than that no problems at all, Drove it daily about 50-60 miles, weekend was 2 fill ups in both tanks.

deltabronco

Bronco Guru
I am doing a ground up restoration on my 76 I just inherited. Mine is not that difficult since everything on it was stock to begin with. I am just replacing OEM Parts except the suspension and tires.

77B

Loc.
Bixby,Ok.
I'm in the process of building a daily driver. I bought this 77 five years ago stock with 63,000 orig. miles. The engine seals started leaking all over the drive way and the floor pans needed replacing. I hope to have it back on the road this summer with a few mods.

Todd B.;D

Attachments

• DSC00903.jpg
    DSC00903.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC00907.jpg
    DSC00907.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC00911.jpg
    DSC00911.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC00919.jpg
    DSC00919.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC00912.jpg
    DSC00912.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC00917.jpg
    DSC00917.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC00918.jpg
    DSC00918.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC00922.jpg
    DSC00922.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 9

scotts77

Loc.
Marietta, GA
I built mine primarily as a "driver". I don't mind a few easy trails, but muddin' and rocks are not for this one.

Attachments

• Broncdriver.JPG
    Broncdriver.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 21
  • bronco 004.JPG
    bronco 004.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 24

kntr

Bronco Guru
The only 2 vehicles I had for a long time were two restored broncos. The blue one was my DD for about 5-6 years. I drove it about 80,000 miles and it only left me stranded one time and it was in town, so no big deal. I should have never sold that thing. For awhile my wife drove it back and forth to work... 20 miles round trip... 5 days a week. I drove the 1/2 cab back and forth to work and college.

My hill climb/carb testing ground in the background. ;) The BFG Mud Terrains were a lot better on the hwy than the Super Swampers. Both had 3.5" Duff Lifts and the blue one got a 1" body lift later. The blue one had a T5 and got 15-17 mpg.

together.jpg

73-bronco-SOLD.jpg

Top, rollbar, and bed were sprayed in Rhino.
Maroon.jpg

I even hauled my mountain bikes in the back. You can see on the top of the roll bar where I would mount the front of the bike.
Rhino.jpg

Any bronco can be a daily driver. Mine were both pretty nice with lots of goodies.