• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Have EFI 5.0 , want to swap to 351

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Questions ,

I installed a mass air SEFI 5.0 from a 90 mustang in my EB in 1999
Was a daily driver from 99 to 2005
So it has some miles on the motor
Has low compression on one cylinder
Burnt valve I think

I've run across a free one owner 96 E-250 15 passenger van with a good running roller 351 and a dead trans
. Actually it will be a negative price since I can sell the wheels and tires for $300 and get $275 at the crusher for the body

Im sure this has been covered before
And if so please post up the link to the thread

What parts will I need to make the swap?

I know the speed density 351 won't fit under the hood

I don't mind
using speed density
Plan on keeping the engine stock

Is there a way to use the SD in an EB
Or do I have to convert the 351 to mass air and use my current Mustang computer ?

I know BC makes a adapter to use the mustang upper on the 351 lower
Do I use the Mustang computer?
With the 351 injectors?
I swap the Mustang mass air meter for which kind?

Last edited:

70_Steve

Old Guy
Questions ,

I installed a mass air SEFI 5.0 from a 90 mustang in my EB in 1999
Was a daily driver from 99 to 2005
So it has some miles on the motor
Has low compression on one cylinder
Burnt valve I think

I've run across a free one owner 96 E-250 15 passenger van with a good running roller 351 and a dead trans
. Actually it will be a negative price since I can sell the wheels and tires for $300 and get $275 at the crusher for the body

Im sure this has been covered before
And if so please post up the link to the thread

What parts will I need to make the swap?

I know the speed density 351 won't fit under the hood

I don't mind
using speed density
Plan on keeping the engine stock

Is there a way to use the SD in an EB
Or do I have to convert the 351 to mass air and use my current Mustang computer ?

I know BC makes a adapter to use the mustang upper on the 351 lower
Do I use the Mustang computer?
With the 351 injectors?
I swap the Mustang mass air meter for which kind?
Sounds like you're expecting this to be harder than it is.

Use the truck lower with BC Broncos adapter to your 5.0 upper and just leave everything else alone. Same computer, same fuel injectors (19 lb?), same MAF.

I run a mild build 351 using an A9P computer, stock 5.0 MAF and 19 lb injectors. I used the truck fuel rail cause it suited my fuel line routing. Only difference is I have a GT-40 lower and Exploder upper with the Exploder throttle body. Runs fine!

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Free van? Wish I was that luck, mine cost me $800

I'm in the middle of swapping the 351W from a 96 E350 van. You sure the E250 is SD? I thought only the E350's were in 96. Something to do with a loophole in the emission standards for trucks/vans over 3500 GVW(is the 250 that heavy?). If it is SD, then the ECM is OBDI more than likely. My E350 had the OBDII port but it was dead. I found the OBDI connections under the hood.

My plan was to us the speed density setup however I've decided to go mass air. Reason is hardly no one is running SD. I posted up asking almost the same questions and didn't get much. http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250151

I bit the bullet and bought a GT40 cast Iron marine lower intake ($350 delivered) and picked up a GT40 upper with throttle body and mass air sensor at the junk yard ($35). Plan to run one of the mass air harnesses the vendors sell. I'll pick up a Mustang ECM off eBay or maybe find one in the junk yard.

All your mass air stuff should swap over and yes, use the BC adapter or swap to the GT40 setup. Us the injectors off the van and the Mustang ECM. Use everything off the van. That's what I'm doing (or trying to do anyway)

You may or may not need a new oil pan.
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251233

Distributor is tricky. The van should use a remote TFI (black module) and will not plug into your current mass air harness. A rewire can be done (so I'm told) and the exact instructions used to be up in oldfordfuelinjection (so I'm told) but that site is gone. Most will say buy a new distributor but I'm on a budget and am determined to make the 96 dis work with the gray remote module somehow. All the info on how to do it is out there but I've not been able to pull it all together.

Tim

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Unplug the wire harness from the Manifold/et. you currently have. Replace 5.0 with 351w with stock lower truck intake manifold. Install BC adaptor and use upper Mustang manifold. (assuming you have the GT intake with the runners in a straight line.) Hook up the wire harness to intake combo.

Can even use the Van 351w serpentine system with fan spacer and reverse rotation 17", Mechanical fan.

You may have to change a few things, (Intake Adaptor and Distributor) but you have 90% of what you need.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Yeah dude, its super simple - all of the 302 stuff goes on the 351w except the lower intake. I'm running that same exact setup - 89GT A9P with a truck lower, B.C. adapter and Mustang upper. Runs like a top-

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Can even use the Van 351w serpentine system with fan spacer and reverse rotation 17", Mechanical fan.

I measured the van shroud opening and the stock Bronco shroud opening and they are the same 21.5 inches. So they SHOULD work as far as size goes.

About the spacer? What size and where can I get this? I'm guessing the fan doesn't fit in deep enough into the Bronco shroud? Can the van fan clutch be used or does that put it too deep? Where can I get the correct fan I'm going to need? Explore fan maybe?

Tim

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Just a thought for you Tim. If you went with 94-95 Mustang EFI it should be plug and play with your distributor, has plenty of tuning support, and has built in 2 speed electric fan control.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Just a thought for you Tim. If you went with 94-95 Mustang EFI it should be plug and play with your distributor, has plenty of tuning support, and has built in 2 speed electric fan control.

Now that is REALLY good to know. So I should be able to buy a used harness off eBay or junk yard, and run the 94-95 ECM too?

Hell yeah....Now to find one in the junk yard......mustangs are thin pickings around here in the yards.....

Tim

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
oldfuelinjection.com

The oldfuelinjection.com page is gone.
Ford kill its predecessor fordfuelinjection.com, so maybe that is what happened.

The info from it can currently be found at:

http://oldfuelinjection.packrad.net/

He has all the old site as a zip file also, should his page "disappear", well worth downloading for future needs.

Basketcase

I am collecting all the parts and components to do this same swap except that I don't have a 5.0 efi currently in the EB. I am installing a 1996 5.8 from an E-250 van and planning on using the BC Bronco intake adapter with a 5.0 GT upper. It appears that one difference between the 5.0 and the 5.8 is the way the EGR works. It looks like the 5.0 routes the exhaust gasses up through the intake manifold to the EGR valve while the 5.8 runs piping from the exhaust manifold to the EGR. It would appear that there is no way to run the EGR with the 5.8 using the 5.0 upper manifold. It seems like this should be OK though...am I wrong in that assumption? Will I need to get an EGR eliminator plate to go between the intake and the throttle body? Any other changes needed to the EEC or wiring to make this happen? Sorry if this has been covered before, but I am a noob when it comes to EFI and EB's.

OP
OP
R

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
I am collecting all the parts and components to do this same swap except that I don't have a 5.0 efi currently in the EB. I am installing a 1996 5.8 from an E-250 van and planning on using the BC Bronco intake adapter with a 5.0 GT upper. It appears that one difference between the 5.0 and the 5.8 is the way the EGR works. It looks like the 5.0 routes the exhaust gasses up through the intake manifold to the EGR valve while the 5.8 runs piping from the exhaust manifold to the EGR. It would appear that there is no way to run the EGR with the 5.8 using the 5.0 upper manifold. It seems like this should be OK though...am I wrong in that assumption? Will I need to get an EGR eliminator plate to go between the intake and the throttle body? Any other changes needed to the EEC or wiring to make this happen? Sorry if this has been covered before, but I am a noob when it comes to EFI and EB's.

I have the EGR unhooked anyway
has a bypass plate but EGR is still plugged in and laying on top of engine so it wont throw a code.

OP
OP
R

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Free van? Wish I was that luck, mine cost me $800

same place gave me a bus a couple years ago,

really nice one owner 30 passenger 1996 P chassis bus , reclineing seats TVs etc
17,000 miles on it,
typical GM POS, the P chassis with the 454, runs so hot it will actually MELT the spark wires and crack the exhaust manifolds

they had a few problems with it on trips, didnt have anyone with a CDL to drive it and started renting a minibus or van that diesnt need a CDL when they went on a trip

hadnt been cranked or moved in 7 years, had a family of raccoons living in it

I replaced all the rubber brake hoses, and all the brake pads, (had discs in rear) fixed the broken electric door opener, and replaced the ign cylinder since they had lost the key years ago.
gave up trying to fix the A/C

sold it for $5,000

last year someone offered me a 2wd 96 F-350 crew cab diesel
same story, hadnt been cranked or moved in 5 years, owner of the office park said it better be gone on Monday or else.
they told me I could have it if I got it by Monday AM

I aired up the tires, threw in 2 new batteries, put a jumper cable on the glow plugs for a few seconds, and drove it away
they were shocked, pissed, and impressed all at the same time,
theyd already had 2 mechanics out to try to get it running, neither could get it going.

sold it for $2500

Last edited:

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR

Bronco Brian

Bronco Guru
Sounds like you're expecting this to be harder than it is.

Use the truck lower with BC Broncos adapter to your 5.0 upper and just leave everything else alone. Same computer, same fuel injectors (19 lb?), same MAF.

I run a mild build 351 using an A9P computer, stock 5.0 MAF and 19 lb injectors. I used the truck fuel rail cause it suited my fuel line routing. Only difference is I have a GT-40 lower and Exploder upper with the Exploder throttle body. Runs fine!

That's what I did too.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Meh - mine isn't plugged in and I have never checked for check engine lights. Idles at 650rpm and 10 gallons lasts 3 solid days of wheeling - ignorance is bliss.

OP
OP
R

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
So what all do I need to grab from the van?
Leave the upper intake and all the wiring and computer in the van ?

I can't bring the van home to my house
I'm gonna be loading in on a trailer , taking it to my brothers house Yanking the engine while it's in his driveway
Then winch it on a trailer , pull the wheels off , and haul it to the crusher , I hate to see it go there , but they pay almost double of what any salvage yard has offered

Any tips to make it easier to remove engine from van?

Looks crowded in there !

Was thinking of pulling the radatior and Sawzall the core support and try to pull it streigt out the front

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
So what all do I need to grab from the van?
Leave the upper intake and all the wiring and computer in the van ?

I can't bring the van home to my house
I'm gonna be loading in on a trailer , taking it to my brothers house Yanking the engine while it's in his driveway
Then winch it on a trailer , pull the wheels off , and haul it to the crusher , I hate to see it go there , but they pay almost double of what any salvage yard has offered

Any tips to make it easier to remove engine from van?

Looks crowded in there !

Was thinking of pulling the radatior and Sawzall the core support and try to pull it streigt out the front

Well I pulled the ECM, engine harness, the main ECM harness including all relays and such. I kept the gas peddle and cable, the charcoal canister and hoses, all the fuel lines and filter (it was a new). Oh and of course the engine. At the time I was going to use the SD system. It's good to have the plugs I guess.

No sawzall needed for me on the front. Everything in the front of the van unbolts leaving a pathway to pull the motor. It was not an easy pull. I had to sawzall the exhaust. I had to take the front dress off to get to the motor mount bolts. I had to also remove the oil cooler thing that attaches to the block at the oil filter. Once I got the motor mount bolts loose, I had hell getting the bolts/mounts out. I had to really tilt the motor left/right to get them out. There are a couple of brackets that hold some heater tubes (mine has the rear area heater) and the wiring harness plugs that I removed to gain 2 inches more height for the pull. A couple of bell housing bolts are hard to get to.

I pulled it by myself using my Harbor Freight 2 ton cherry picker

Tim

mattt

Bronco Guru
Are you sure that 96 van is speed density? Most vans of that vintage I've seen are Mass Air. If it is Mass Air, there are more than a few full size truck and bronco guys that are jumping into Mass Air conversion on 87-94 vehicles. The 95 CA Mass Air OBD1 conversion seems a little more favored, but I'd assume someone would be in for the Mass Air set up out of this van?

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
My 96 E350 is for sure Speed Density. It's all about the weight. The ECM ECC-IV EFI-SD48B

SD was used up until '98 (maybe 97) on HD trucks(those over 8500lb GVWR). There might be some Cali sold HD's that were Mass Air ???

All something I DIDN'T know till after I bought the van. I would have bought it anyway but was expecting to use everything from the van. It's going to cost me a bit more to go Mass Air but the more parts I sell off the van the better. Now who needs van parts? :cool:

Tim

mattt

Bronco Guru
My 96 E350 is for sure Speed Density. It's all about the weight. The ECM ECC-IV EFI-SD48B

SD was used up until '98 (maybe 97) on HD trucks(those over 8500lb GVWR). There might be some Cali sold HD's that were Mass Air ???

All something I DIDN'T know till after I bought the van. I would have bought it anyway but was expecting to use everything from the van. It's going to cost me a bit more to go Mass Air but the more parts I sell off the van the better. Now who needs van parts? :cool:

Tim

That is interesting info about your '96. Ryan's old site is nowhere near complete or 100% accurate, but there is no reference to a '96 Speed Density EEC. This is Ryan's site that I'm referencing.... http://web.archive.org/web/20110414065146/http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=17

What EEC catch code is on the ECU in your '96? Where have you checked model year of the van? The Emissions System sticker under the hood, on the core support, or air box lid is typically the most accurate for ID-ing model year.