• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help! Ignition Tumbler Won't Go In

hunt&fish

Loc.
Marietta, Georgia
I used a paper clip and the key to remove my tumbler. That went great.
However, I can't get the new tumbler to go in all the way and what's worse, I can't get the old tumbler in either. So now ignition is in ACC , running my battery down. What's the trick ? I put the key in the tumbler, turned it to the ACC position and pushed it in. It does not appear to be bottoming out against the bezel and is not locked in. Pushing in with the key and twisting it back and forth does not help. Any advice ?

65 mustang

Yes teeth up,I wish I could tell you how I did it. Mine went the same as yours. Came out easy as pie ,went back in well, I don't know what happened it just worked..Scott

(keep trying it will go)

Incognito

Loc.
Key West, Florida
Key

Just went through that....

Use a screwdriver to move the switch to the righ ttposition.

The key barrell point is not flat...the end is tapered. Be sure you are lining it up.

Put it in...push in with the paperclip and then turn back until it clicks in.

OP
OP
H

hunt&fish

Loc.
Marietta, Georgia
Just went through that....

Use a screwdriver to move the switch to the righ ttposition.

The key barrell point is not flat...the end is tapered. Be sure you are lining it up.

Put it in...push in with the paperclip and then turn back until it clicks in.

I was not using the paper clip. Maybe that's the problem. I'll try it in the morning when there's more light. thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And as 74fiberglass said (and especially before inserting a screw-driver(!)), disconnect the battery.

Paul

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
You need a paperclip to install the new tumbler. Push the paperclip in the little hole and turn counterclockwise about 1/4". The tumber should slide in and now you can turn it to the right and you are locked and ready to go.

OP
OP
H

hunt&fish

Loc.
Marietta, Georgia
New Tumbler is In !

I used a paper clip and the key to remove my tumbler. That went great.
However, I can't get the new tumbler to go in all the way and what's worse, I can't get the old tumbler in either. So now ignition is in ACC , running my battery down. What's the trick ? I put the key in the tumbler, turned it to the ACC position and pushed it in. It does not appear to be bottoming out against the bezel and is not locked in. Pushing in with the key and twisting it back and forth does not help. Any advice ?

I gave up and drove it to a locksmith ( you can crank it with the tumbler out using a blade screw driver ). Fifteen minutes and $10 later and I was good to go.
Thanks for the tips.