• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help starting my EB Restoration/RestoMod

savyen

Loc.
Lakeland, FL
Good evening

I recently acquired a 1966 Bronco that has been in my family for the past 30 years. It went through a backyard restoration 25 years ago and is still in decent shape with very little rust. Overall plan will be to do a frame off restoration, replace the inline six with a new crate Coyote (found a great deal that includes shipping and the ECU Pack), new suspension, etc.. The overall goal is to have an Early Bronco that will have most of the modern tech we see on new vehicles and will be my daily driver which we may see some trails but not anything serious. In other words a semi budget minded ICON style Bronco.

The first question I have (which I am sure I will have many) is regarding transmissions/transferase. My understanding is I can run a manual transmission without a standalone computer. Is that assumption correct and is it that much more difficult/expensive to install an automatic. I typically prefer a manual with a sports car and an auto as a DD. Also updating the engine and trans do I need to also update the transfer case? The reason I am asking this so early is because I am buying the engine within the next month and other big parts within the next 2-3 months.

The official build is scheduled to start in August and I will start a build thread once we begin this process. I am sure I will have questions regarding brakes (thinking Wilwood), interior, lifts/tire combos, and anything else I run into. If anyone else has any sage advice and/or recommendations I would love to hear it and I look forward to all of your contributions…..

Thanks….

OP
OP
S

savyen

Loc.
Lakeland, FL
For some reason I am unable to upload pictures to this thread and I am sure it is user error. I have updated "my garage" with 4 pictures. If anyone has any directions on how to post pictures besides the FAQ which I used I would be grateful....

kip60

Become a contributor and you can post pictures. Otherwise you need to link to photobucket or other picture site. Search the forums on how to become a contributor.

OP
OP
S

savyen

Loc.
Lakeland, FL
Thanks for the help and here are the pictures...

Attachments

• 20160320_161236.jpg
    20160320_161236.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 20160320_161248.jpg
    20160320_161248.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 20160320_161300.jpg
    20160320_161300.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 20160320_161316.jpg
    20160320_161316.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 20160320_161326.jpg
    20160320_161326.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 72

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I would call BC Broncos they have done this and have the installation parts worked out. They can answer these questions and maybe save you allot of asprin.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Welcome :) Noticed that your 66' doesn't have a 66' top or doors, did it start life as a roadster/u13?

OP
OP
S

savyen

Loc.
Lakeland, FL
I would call BC Broncos they have done this and have the installation parts worked out. They can answer these questions and maybe save you allot of asprin.

I will do that thank you, I emailed them but I think it would be better to actually talk to someone.

OP
OP
S

savyen

Loc.
Lakeland, FL
Welcome :) Noticed that your 66' doesn't have a 66' top or doors, did it start life as a roadster/u13?

I learn something new everyday, I was not aware that the doors and the top were not 66. I know that during it's first backyard restoration it was a result of the 66 and a donor bronco.

I look forward to learning from all of you... thank you

blamejane

Bronco Guru
You're definitely starting with one hell of a nice looking bronco, congrats and welcome to CB. I love it when a bronco has such family history already in place. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
I learn something new everyday, I was not aware that the doors and the top were not 66. I know that during it's first backyard restoration it was a result of the 66 and a donor bronco.

What is the VIN? You may have a U13. First 3 characters will tell.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK

Sure, that happens a lot, some parts are beyond repair and they get swapped, it's a good looking bronco! The tailgate isn't 66' either, they rusted out often at the bottom and were swapped often as a result.

What's the color?

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
If I were to do mine over again, I would definitely went with an Atlas Transfer case and been done with it. I've been fighting a leaky Dana 20 for years and still have not succeeded.

I think I read somewhere that the Coyote will bolt direct to an Atlas????

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Once you get started, you're welcome to come check out mine....since you're just down the road and I'm in Windemere. I've done several frame-off Bronco restorations and could at least give you some ideas.

OP
OP
S

savyen

Loc.
Lakeland, FL
Once you get started, you're welcome to come check out mine....since you're just down the road and I'm in Windemere. I've done several frame-off Bronco restorations and could at least give you some ideas.

Thank you I will take you up on that offer and buy you a beer...

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
Another roadster bites the dust.

Good looking bronco and have fun on the build. Ask lots of questions and definitely call Jason at BC as he seems to have the coyote swap worked out. His phone will be ringing on my next build. Looks like a solid Bronco to start with.