• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help starting my new rebuilt engine

ugly74

Bronco abuser
Nah I'm good, no need to educate anyone.. Carry on. Waiting for OP to determine why that long pushrod held the valves open magically. As if a pushrod isn't part of the valve lift equation.

Lifter preload, my good sir, is the answer to that mystery.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Lifter preload, my good sir, is the answer to that mystery.

Why..I believe you might be correct, Dan, old boy. Harrumph. Here's a toast...

Its a small toast...made from some bread that was starting to mold, and a little burnt about the edges.....but my heart was in the right place. Shirley.

Ourobos

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Big Island Hawaii
Yes.. it is.. And if the lifter is PRELOADED .100" TOO MUCH for example with a pushrod that is .100" too long? When the lifter loads up with oil, you don't think it will travel that extra .100"? Although normal preload is typically .020" to .060"..

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes.. it is.. And if the lifter is PRELOADED .100" TOO MUCH for example? When the lifter loads up with oil, you don't think it will travel that extra .100"? Although normal preload is typically .020" to .060"..

Hint: Adjustable rockers. ;)

Still waiting for your links to the calculations of valve lift that include a pushrod length. Take your time.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
Yes.. it is.. And if the lifter is PRELOADED .100" TOO MUCH for example with a pushrod that is .100" too long? When the lifter loads up with oil, you don't think it will travel that extra .100"? Although normal preload is typically .020" to .060"..

Your theory is correct, when dealing with positive stop studs. Set it and forget it.
When youve got an adjustable valvetrain, all the adjustment necessary to account for pushrod length, is right there with the adjustment nut.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cam lobe lifts lifter.. Lifter lifts PUSHROD (note that), pushrod pushes on rocker arm, rocker arm pivots on valve opening valve.. Need more clarification 'genius'?

Bingo. Now..show, specifically, how pushrod length affects the amount of valve lift. ;)

Yr god with a shovel though...I'll give ya that.

Ourobos

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Big Island Hawaii
I guess pushrod manufacturers make pushrods in .050" increments for no reason, hell any old pushrod will do with that magic adjusting nut on the rocker stud.. LOL

Imagine if you can, this pushrod an inch longer for illustrations sake.. Think it might push that valve open when the rocker is 'adjusted' down tight?

Valvetrain.jpg

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I guess pushrod manufacturers make pushrods in .050" increments for no reason,]

Of course not silly..they make them in those increments so that you can get your rocker geometry right. Correct initial rocker angle, average rocker angle and a good average actuation point on the valve stem (or lash cap).

Just like the tech articles describe..and as did I, earlier. As I've done building high performance engines (mine and customers') for the last four decades.

;)

Ourobos

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Big Island Hawaii
I've built a few hundred myself. Have four on engine stands now.. ;D

I'm wagering his 'adjusted' poly lock isn't center or doesn't have a .080" sweep on the valve.. Thus the longer pushrod is effecting his geometry and preload negatively (there is no lash on a hydraulic lifter, like you had mentioned earlier, only preload...) Simple as I can put it bud.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
Lets say just for arguments sake ourobos that you are correct. That the longer pushrod will have an affect on the open duration of the valve.

But when its closed, .030-.060 lifter preload is still just that. Closed is closed. A too long pushrod wouldnt change that.

OP
OP
Razorbackbronco

Razorbackbronco

UPDATE:

Wooohooooo! It's alive!

So I decided to check my valves first so I turned to TDC and man did I cinch those things down!! I obviously didn't have a very soft touch! As I let out each one I could see the valve springs lift up so that's where my compression was going. After adjusting them all it cranked over beautifully and started right up! Man what a good feeling, the cam, headers, and duals make it sound sooo much better!

I'm still not sure I have the valves dialed in perfect. I guess if they are too loose ill here them tapping. Any indication if they are still too tight? Of the three types of stock ford valve trains this ones seems the hardest to get right because there is no torquing down the nuts, or measuring the lash.

Another question I have is I'm about to install my electric choke wire on my edelbrock 1406. I'm going to splice it into the red/green wire from the regulator but I want to know what the best way to splice the choke wire into the middle of the green/red wire.

You guys are awesome!!! I wouldn't be this happy tonight without all your help! Gonna break out the Johnnie Walker Blue label!!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Congrats. You'll probably hear it if one is too loose. Too tight and you might feel it as a miss. Laser temp gun on the header tubes can verify they are all burning.

Solder and heat shrink that choke wire in. That means cut the green-red wire then solder them all together.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
Glad you got it fixed! I love the feeling of building a motor and watching it fire up and run sweet.

Arent you going to thank the rest of us for barging in on your thread to argue the laws of physics? ;D

PaveBronco

great to hear the things alive. was starting to look like a Jeep forum for a while there, which is why I left and went to Bronco's, if this keeps up I may have to switch to a Scout...ugh..rust, burnt oil and hay...