• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help with stock power steering

Jp76

Loc.
Cave Creek, AZ
So I have finally been driving my 76 and it now chatters when turning the wheel all left or right from a stop. I am also noting a squeal after driving for a while (possibly the belt?).

History - It sat for 3 years and when I checked the dipstick on the res, it was bone dry - I tried adding some fluid, and it didnt take much. I am wondering if the pwr steering needs to be bled to hold more but have zero experience with these units. For reference, the reservior has a "pop-off" cap with the dipstick on it. Thanks for any ideas!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Have you checked it since you started driving it? Sounds like it could still be low.

OP
OP
Jp76

Jp76

Loc.
Cave Creek, AZ
Yeah, the issues have started since putting some miles on. I am wondering if there is a bubble in the line or something; is there a particular way to bleed the lines? (turn all the way left, all the way right, etc.?) Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...I am wondering if there is a bubble in the line or something; is there a particular way to bleed the lines? (turn all the way left, all the way right, etc.?) Thanks

Yes there is. Even though you've been driving it, I would start with the initial bleed/purge procedure and go from there.
That's where you either lift the front wheels up off the ground, or at least lighten their load a bit by using a jack under the axle.

With the reservoir topped off (using the dipstick with the engine off I believe, but someone can correct that if wrong) and the engine running, do just what you said and turn the wheel all the way in one direct, then the other.

You do not want to run it to the end and hold it there, but once you hit the end you can stop just short of it from then on.

Do this continually for what will probably end up being anywhere from 20 to 100 times. Yep, you read that correctly.
The book says about 10 times in each direction if I remember, but from all reports from the Bronco world they rarely purge air that quickly for our setups. Might be a hose configuration, or just the characteristics of the Ford/Thomsen(sp?) pumps, but even though every once in awhile someone gets lucky and only needs to turn the wheel a couple of times, most of us have to do it an entire crap-ton of times.

As said, you may be dealing with multiple issues, including an old tired and worn out pump. Nothing likes sitting for extended periods, and really old stuff doesn't like it any more than really new stuff does. You may just have worn seals.
These pumps were notorious for squealing when they got hot, and/or were under heavy use. Especially with larger tires (which constitutes heavy use when hot by the way.;);D) while four-wheeling.

Are you familiar enough with the systems, or have owned the Bronco long enough to know whether it's an original style for sure? Or maybe even the original pump?

Good luck.

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If it was dry when you got it, it leaked out. Have you put fluid back in (or even checked the fluid level) since the problems started?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I'm still going with fluid leaked out since he fist put some in and it isn't topped off anymore.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... I don't like the Thompson pumps. I'd say go ahead & just swap to a Saginaw much better pump.
. But if you want to try a few things with the Thompson .. I once changed the fluid in mine .. That one I was running just ATF in it. It sure pushed out some nasty stuff.
Another one was a friends it too had ATF .We put some of that Lucus power steering additive . It worked . IT STOPPED A SMALL leak & took the groan out of that unit for 7 months . Topped it off . again & it worked another year. & I'm not an additive man.
... & I really prefer the pure power steering fluid over ATF.
BUT 1st I'd JACK THE FRONT end off the ground & Twist it back & Fourth .

OP
OP
Jp76

Jp76

Loc.
Cave Creek, AZ
Thanks for all - I am going out there today to tackle it. First I will check belt and pulley again and then the level and back and forth bleed. If all else fails, I will swap it out. Thanks for all othe help!

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
JP 76 .
..KEEP US INFORMED as you proceed through this .. MOST POST like this get started & Not many give a finish report . Whilr I'm sure most do get some kind of Resolution.