• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Holley Sniper + Hyperspark Problem

OP
OP
BulldogBronco

BulldogBronco

I should also mention it won't rub anymore since the Holley Distributor is shorter.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, definitely.
The heat-shrink should theoretically have taken care of it, but I would not trust it with a computer these days. Old-school? No problem. New-school? Yes problem!

Paul

OP
OP
BulldogBronco

BulldogBronco

Alright, thanks. I've got a few things to try now. I REALLY appreciate the suggestions. Best community out there!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
There is a setting in the Sniper for minimum trigger voltage on the ignition. Going to a slightly higher voltage can weed out the low level noise. Don't go too high or it may not see the actual signal. Important for low RPM like starting. Not sure if every ignition type has that setting or just some of them.

Also just to confirm, the eratic tach signal. It does NOT match what the engine is doing. Idling at 800 and the tach spikes to 1200 but the engine stays right around 800, correct? That would be an ignition signal issue.

You can do some simple shielding a some aluminum foil, just wrap the wires. A bare copper wire grounded at one end inside the foil is even better.

OP
OP
BulldogBronco

BulldogBronco

No, so the engine matched the RPM's but it happened without me pressing the gas. So it would basically rev without me doing anything. I'll look into the trigger voltage. Do you know what an acceptable setting would be?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
So the displayed RPM actually does match what the engine is doing? Not what I was expecting. Have to rethink this.

OP
OP
BulldogBronco

BulldogBronco

Yep, it matches. But that's what makes me think it is something with EMI/RFI or something interfering. Just too coincidental that it wasn't happening with the old distributor and this is the only thing changed, to an electronic ignition system.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I had the same issue with my Fitech. I put an aluminum shield between the distributor and Fitech unit and it ran good. I had a Jeg's distributor, which is a well made one and made in the U.S. While at SC this year I got to talking to Tom of Lick Creek fame and he said he has always used MSD distributors and has never had an issue. He suspected the cap may be cracked or something. When I got home I ordered an MSD cap and put it on the Jeg's distributor. Worked like a charm and it runs good now. When I looked into it the caps are made of a different material. Ken

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's interesting about the caps. Better cap materials have been "a thing" almost as long as there have been distributors.
At least since the late-sixties and I remember Mallory making a big deal out of their proprietary material and marketing that.
Then there was wider spaced plug terminals on the big Ford and GM caps, and with everything running so good for a couple of decades, I think most of the hype had disappeared. Looks like there's a good reason we might see it come back again!

And speaking of this kind of noise thing, even MSD, though they still offer the standard analog 6-series boxes for sale as kind of a tradition, they also offer the Digital 6-series because it's "quieter" and plays nicer with EFI controllers.
If yours is an analog instead of a digital, it's good that it's over on the fender. But I wonder just how close is too close with one of those?

Paul

OP
OP
BulldogBronco

BulldogBronco

Bought a new set of spark plug wires that are touted as great for EMI/RFI suppression and an additional ground strap to ground the engine to the frame. Hoping that sets down the right path!

slongoria

Keep us updated. I just purchased the hyperspark ignition system also to integrate with my holley sniper efi.

Allen_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sugar Grove Pa
Keep us updated. I just purchased the hyperspark ignition system also to integrate with my holley sniper efi.

Agreed, the whole hyperspark system is in my shopping cart waiting until I need it in my restoration. Like to have some real world opinions. Also kind of hoping that it would go on sale at some point but I don't think that's going to happen

OP
OP
BulldogBronco

BulldogBronco

Will do, summit will have it here tomorrow and I plan to put them on Thursday or Friday.

OP
OP
BulldogBronco

BulldogBronco

Update, spark plug wires seemed to help but didn’t totally fix it. Next step is to run more grounds and then replace my spark plugs to make sure I have a resistor style plugs.

Mattdaffern

Loc.
Stratford, TX
Update?

How is it running now? I just installed the hyperspark system. I already had the sniper running great with an HEI, but I wanted to control timing from the sniper. I seem to be having the same issues you were describing, just wandering if you had gotten it smoothed out yet. When it runs good, it's great, but its not consistent, and the problems just started when I replaced the HEI with hyperspark.

Bofka788

Update?

How is it running now? I just installed the hyperspark system. I already had the sniper running great with an HEI, but I wanted to control timing from the sniper. I seem to be having the same issues you were describing, just wandering if you had gotten it smoothed out yet. When it runs good, it's great, but its not consistent, and the problems just started when I replaced the HEI with hyperspark.
Did anyone ever give an update on this? Did you find the solution?