• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Holly pro-jection EFI

jbbies

Loc.
Durango
Any one used the holly pro-jection fuel injection system on there 302? If so what are the pluses and minuses?

73bronco

I never used it on my 302. I only used it on my built 351w. I loved it offroad. Thats about it. On the street daily driving it was a PITA! I always had to tweak and tune it. One day it was wonderful, tons of power and smooth running, the next it would fall on its face and rob all the power it had. I would recommend the howell injection kit. It costs a little more but it is well worth it!! I know of a few people who have run the pro-jection and all of them say the same things as me. I would, however, run it again if I was ONLY off-road.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
OK, which flavor of projection? Roughly they are;
Projection analog
Projection digital
Projection digital interactive
Projection Comander 950

These are in 2 and 4 barrel versions and the Comander series can even be port injected.

Of those, the old analog is JUNK! Those that have run them usually mount them under the dash so they can turn the little knobs as they drive as you tune it as you drive, daily.

The Digital is not much better

The digital Interactive (what I run the 4DI) is the first that adds an O2 sensor and goes into closed loop. This is marginally acceptable.

I have heard good things about the comander 950, but don't know of anyone personally who has there project running on the 950 yet. Where they shine is when you need to tune them yourself, on a vehicle that isn't normally injected.

Between the Projection 4DI I have on the Bronco and the EEC-IV I have on the V8 Ranger, the EEC-IV is clearly the way to go. I am considering pulling the projection and putting on an EEC-IV on the Bronco.

And the Howell's I have seen run, but when put on the dyno and the A/F ratio checked, they are WAY off. Closed loop don't mean anything except at idle and cruise. Bury your foot and they all go open loop, which is a guessed program no matter how much they try and quiz you on what they think you need.

Cut Up 75

Loc.
Minturn
I have the analog pro-jection on my 351w, I had it installed about 5 years ago....NEVER an issue, I've been on Billings, 21rd, Holy Cross, Moab....Most of the time it's driven around 8500'. I have turned the dials maybe 3 times in 5 yrs, just to check the difference. I have no objections, maybe i'm one of the few without issues....I don't know. WOW I just checked the price of the Howell system, I paid a little less than $1300 total for the system and install.

maws75

I had it on my 302 for a year and a half , first year wasnt bad but after that it wouldnt run for crap , just went out one day and it wouldnt idle for anything. Went to a holley t/a never had a problem since. Stay away from the analog holley fuel injection far away. Just my .02

bronco69drp

Loc.
Cordova TN(memphis)
by far the best is a FORD SEFI system from an '86 & up mustang.
1)easy to get parts
2)inexpensive
3)reliable
4)tons of aftermarket support
5)made for the 302/5.0 motor(not adapted)
6)very tunable
7)speed density or mass air options
;D
bronco_0074.jpg

744x4

Loc.
Taylors,SC
I have a Howell EFI setup sitting in the box waiting on my Buggy to finish itself or I would let you know how well it runs.I also have a 5.0 SEFI setup on my other EB and I can tell you it will run and start back up while sitting on its side.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I run the Commander 950 system and love it. Vastly superior to any of the earlier Projection systems..and probably why Holley does not call it 'Projection' any more to differentiate from their earlier 'junk'. The Commander systems support any engine configuration from mild to wild, including turbo or supercharged ones. MPI and TBI versions are available. The Commander supports any flavor of ignition timing control too (GM HEI or Ford TFI).

The Howell system is the best for the dollar for retorfitting to stock or only mildly modified engines and Howell's customer support is legendary. The other nice thing about the Howell package is that, since its built around the GM TBI hardware, all the sensors and stuff are available at any auto parts store all the time.

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
I run the Holley 4DI setup. I consider this the precursor to the Commander stuff although there are a few neat new features on the Commander stuff. I've been running this setup for over 10 years now on 2 different rigs (85 full size Bronco with 351W & my 67 Bronco with 92 302) It works great but still could be a little better if I only had the interest in tuning it a bit better.

The problem with the Howel is that it is not adjustable, you got to pay them to send you a different "chip" if you want to try something different.

I am in the process of compiling all the parts it takes to pu a factory ford type injection on my rig. Dollar for dollar IMHO that is the way to go. Full parts availability, lowest cost, widest support, and with the addition of a tweeccer fully adjustable. Oh, and if you are considering going with an electronic shift transmission (AODE or 47R0W) you can do that too with the correct ECU.

Dan