• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Holly Pro Jection system help

Tulsa76bronco

Just got all rebuilt engine back in and put the Holly pro Jection back on. Engine will turn over but not stay on unless foot on the gas. Can the holly keep it from starting and staying on. I figure maybe something not running right with the holly.

Ready to drive but not running please help

ENDLIFE

I ran one of the digital Holley 2bbl systems for a while, I change altitude way to often, and just didn't feel like adding the much needed O2 sensor for the system to self adjust. The first thing I would check if the regulator pressure, make sure that it's about 15psi, or it will make the rest of the system impossible to set.
I'll tell you the second thing after you post a picture of your ECU.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Several things come to mind.
First is timimg is off.
How stock is this rebuilt engine?
You did get the vacuum line hooked back up to manifold vacuum? New hose, not split?

Personally I am not a fan of the analog projection. EFI needs feedback to make it self tune. Even the last days of carburators had O2 sensors and were feedback.

OP
OP
Tulsa76bronco

Tulsa76bronco

So broncobowsher if I upgraded to the digital E.C.u would it then self learn

Okorangebronc thanks for all the insight today

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I wouldn't say it will "self learn", so much as "adapt". You still need a solid engine that has proper timing and a good set of fuel maps. Different fuel blends require slightly different ratios. Weather changes. Stuff like that. A few EFI systems actually self learn, I don't think Holley is that advanced. Even on the newest computers.

I am always a little leary of the self learn EFI systems. So long as they are in good tune I can see that they can self tune fairly well. But if you have an issue, loose a plug wire, something like that. Given time it will eventually happen. I can see a self tuning EFI tuning itself right off the map to the point it won't run. Now you are chasing a huge EFI problem not even knowing it is some other little problem that started it. Programmed EFI will only vary so much before it hits the limits of the programming and won't go too far.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did it run fine before the rebuild Tulsa?

And more important than anything else at this point, is your fresh engine running a standard flat-tappet type cam? If so, you either need to be able to dial in the injection immediately, without running the engine any more before that, OR, swap over to a carburetor temporarily for the initial break-in procedure.
The absolute worst thing that can be done to a new flat-tappet cam and lifters is to run it at idle, or run it for short bursts at lower rpms, or the worst, just cranking it with the starter for extended periods.

That cam has to have the engine fired and run up to about 2500 rpm immediately (if not sooner!) so that the cam lobes will receive their fair share of oil splash and spray. That's the only lubrication that the cam lobes get. Only the bearings are pressure oiled from the main system. The lobes rely on splash, drain-back from above, and oil spitting out of the bearing sides.

So unless you can guarantee that it will start and run with the injection now, you may need to come up with at least a temporary Plan-B. ;D

Sorry to be the harbinger of doom and all. But it's super important.

Paul

OP
OP
Tulsa76bronco

Tulsa76bronco

Dirtdonk it ran well 5 years ago, sat rusted then I just bought it and had to redo engine, I need to see what the cam is will ask tomorrow

ENDLIFE

Okay, if your fuel pressure is (15 psi) good and stable (run a cheap inline pressure gauge to check for drops), check you PCV valve, and someone mentioned checking vacuum lines. If it sat for a long period of time you should check your fuel filters, and if your running an inline pump the gauge will verify your pump is working correctly.

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ahhh, then that's excellent news and I won't stress about it any more. ;D

Probably means it's also the later 5.0/5.8 firing order too then.
So, in case you had the wires off, verify that you are running a 13726548 firing order when following a counter-clockwise direction on the distributor.

Even if you didn't have the wires off, it can't hurt to take 30 seconds to verify it anyway.
I suppose there's no guarantee that a roller cam uses the later firing order, so if your info includes a cam card or you got that info from the builder, it's a good thing to keep in the back of your mind.
Since cams are available in both firing orders, it's good to know.

Paul