• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

hose routing for coolant overflow?

rbrnc512

I've ordered a coolant overflow tank that should be arriving today, but have no idea how to route the hoses. Could somebody please let me know which hoses go where and anything else important? Thanks.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Its as simple as riding a bike! Run the hose from the radiator overflow fitting to the bottle. As long as the bottle has a bottom fitting your fine. If it has a top fitting then you need to make sure there is a hose that goes to the bottom of the tank so it can suck coolant back into the system. It doesnt matter on the height of the overflow bottle or the length of hose. Simple stuff!

Im just using a plastic water bottle for now but someday will upgrade to a coolant/washer resevore like this...

Attachments

• overflow-tank.jpg
    overflow-tank.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 230

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored
Im just using a plastic water bottle for now but someday will upgrade to a coolant/washer resevore like this...

Yea, not hard. I've got that overflow and wiper fluid set-up and love it. Fits like it was made for the old EB! Got mine from a junkyard from a F250 and included motor and pigail for $25. Very simple and functional upgrade, you just have to deal with the overflow hose, I ran mine along the top of the radiator, took a bit of hose but it's out of the way.

OP
OP
R

rbrnc512

that does sound pretty easy. thanks for the help. I didn't know there was an overflow fitting on the radiator already...

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
that does sound pretty easy. thanks for the help. I didn't know there was an overflow fitting on the radiator already...

The early years (before '73, I think) have the fitting in the neck and a rubber hose running straight down the radiator.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
look for a hose that comes from the cap and probably just dumps onto the ground. Thats where you want to hook the overflow bottle to. Mine comes from the cap but not on the radiator but instead fron the pressure tank.

Attachments

• IMG_1947.jpg
    IMG_1947.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 202
OP
OP
R

rbrnc512

So I guess I spoke too soon. the only thing I see that could be an overflow valve is on the bottom driver's side, but I'm not really sure how a hose would fit into it. It looks like a square piece that is threaded into the radiator.

Any ideas what this is or if there is somewhere else I'm missing?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
It's a tube coming from the neck, just below the radiator cap.

OP
OP
R

rbrnc512

yeah I checked there and there isn't one, or even a fitting for one right there. There are only the two big hoses coming out of the radiator at the top and bottom opposite corners (I even pulled it last week and these were the only two).

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Here's how I did it... make sure the hose goes down all the way to the bottom of the tank to be able to suck the overflow back into the rad. ;)

DSCN2492.jpg

BoureeOne

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madisonville, La
Your best bet right now to get the help you need is to become a member and then post some pics of what you have. And Welcome.

Scott

OP
OP
R

rbrnc512

thanks, yeah, I think I'll probably do that otnight as there are some other thigns I'd like to post pictures on for help. However, I was wrong before - there is a little hole in the neck of the radiator, just didn't see it before. It's just a hole and there isn't any kind of fitting or male end - I'm going to see what I can think of from Home Depot later to make a hose attach to the hole, but if you guys have any ideas that would be great. Thanks.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
thanks, yeah, I think I'll probably do that otnight as there are some other thigns I'd like to post pictures on for help. However, I was wrong before - there is a little hole in the neck of the radiator, just didn't see it before. It's just a hole and there isn't any kind of fitting or male end - I'm going to see what I can think of from Home Depot later to make a hose attach to the hole, but if you guys have any ideas that would be great. Thanks.

It must be spitting coolant out that hole. A radiator shop could probably weld one on quickly. Make sure you get the correct cap for your rad using a coolant recovery system.

beernut

Loc.
Hampton
the only thing I see that could be an overflow valve is on the bottom driver's side, but I'm not really sure how a hose would fit into it. It looks like a square piece that is threaded into the radiator.

Any ideas what this is or if there is somewhere else I'm missing?

That is your radiator drain plug.

-bn

JSmall

Bronco Guru
I'm about to add my late model coolant/washer fluid bottle. I have a hard line coming out of the filler neck that goes down the side of the radiator and terminates near the bottom. Can I add a hose to the end of that and route it to my overflow, or should I cut the metal line near the neck and attach the hose there? Does it matter?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I'm about to add my late model coolant/washer fluid bottle. I have a hard line coming out of the filler neck that goes down the side of the radiator and terminates near the bottom. Can I add a hose to the end of that and route it to my overflow, or should I cut the metal line near the neck and attach the hose there? Does it matter?

As long as its airtight it won't matter.