• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How did you mount your home made winch bumper?

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
For you guys that have built home made bumpers; how did you mount them to the frame?

I really don't want to weld the bumper directly to the frame but certianly want some strength.

My initial thought was to weld 2" x 4" steel tubing to the bumper, slide it into the frame horns, drill holes that line up w/ factory frame holes and drop some grade 8 bolts through.

Do any of you guys have ideas, recommendations etc?

Pics always welcome.

Thanks!!

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My initial thought was to weld 2" x 4" steel tubing to the bumper, slide it into the frame horns, drill holes that line up w/ factory frame holes and drop some grade 8 bolts through.!

Thats exactly how I do..and have done...all of the ones I've built. In some cases I'll run a second bolt through sideways too.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Thats exactly how I do..and have done...all of the ones I've built. In some cases I'll run a second bolt through sideways too.

that's the way i would do it as well. don't weld it to the frame like my PO did%)

TN1776

Bronco Guru
2x4 steel in the frame works great. I have grade 8 bolts in the stock mounting holes and also in another set of holes I drilled a little farther back. All are reinforced with 1/8" thick square washers that I welded to the frame for a little extra strength as well.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX

if there's any other way tell me how. any other way wouldn't make much sense.

Broncofan76

Loc.
Atlanta
another way would be to weld a 2x4 into the frame and then slide a smaller tubing - likely made with angle iron into the 2x4. Like this thread - http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95880&page=3

or I have entertained the idea of welding a 2x4 into the frame and the creating a box around the outside and bolting through the box, the frame and the 2x4 the bumper would be attached to the box that would slide over the frame horns.

My frame has been hacked/welded to so i am entertaining all ideas on how to attach at this point. I think I have a solution but I'm gonna try to figure it out this weekend to see if it will work.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I weld some 1/4 plate to the top and both of the frame to re-enforce the bolt holes and then slid the 2x4 tubing in. I used 2 grade 8 bolts per end so the bumper is held on with 4 grade 8 bolts. I drilled a 2.5" hole in the 2x4 tubing to allow access to thenuts and bolts.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Put the 2x4 into the frame first, then weld the bumper to it. That way you know the spacing is a perfect match to your rig.

But 2x4 into the frame until it stops. then I back it out about 1/8". Couple bolts through the factory holes to hold it in place, but that isn't structural. Did the aircraft aproach, multiple small fasteners for a strong connection. drilled holes through both the frame and the bumper. About a half dozen per side. Pull the insert out, tap the holes for bolt threads. bump the holes in the frame to match the bolts going in. Now you have a removable bumper that is bolted on as good or better then if it were welded solid. Not going to be able to rip a dozen 3/8 bolts all at once, there will be great carnage to a lot of other things well before that happens.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
I used 2 x 4 x 1/4 channel iron. Welded it to the bumper and then hammered it up into the frame ends. It's a good tight fit. Then I drilled it for 1/2" grade 8 bolts. Same thing for the rear bumper.

knack

Contributor
I'd go with grade 5 rather than grade 8 bolts. Less brittle. They will stretch and bend before breaking. Less chance of parts flying.

diestech74

Loc.
canton
I used a 3 side mount in the front with a piece of flat plate mounted to it inside of the frame which extended farther then 2x4 would reach in the frame & let me spread th load over more frame with two 1/2" bolts going cross ways with pipe inside the frame to keep it from collasping as I tighten it then gusset type top & bottom mounts that bolted in fhe factory bumper holes. the winch mounts seprate on a craddle between the frame so the double lie pull to the rings on front of the bumper is split between the two diffrent mounts. the rear bumper stayed simple with 2x4 inside the frame

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
The 2x4 ideas that everyone is talking about is the ticket.

That said, I am different. The PO pretty much destroyed the front of my frame so when I did mine I made my winch tray go from fram rail to rail and bolted thru the tray and in to the bottom of the fram using 3 each 5/8 bolts on each frame rail. Then I mounted my bumper to my winch tray. Mind you my winch tray is made of 5/16 plate and carries a Warn 12000 Lb winch.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
...drill holes that line up w/ factory frame holes and drop some grade 8 bolts through.
That puts the soft frame steel in simple shear, which isn't NEARLY as strong as clamping onto it. Either weld a tube inside the 2x4 for the bolt to compress against, or weld a nut inside top & bottom, and use 2 short bolts instead of 1 long one per side.

This can happen without that clamping force:

Fortunately, he had another bolt on each side that kept the bumper & winch from flying.

OP
OP
Banjer Picker

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
Hey Steve... thanks for the picture of my own winch bumper and frame horn buddy LOL. You could atleast given me advice before I sheered it off. Ha ha.

Damon, thanks for the offer on the tubing brother!

Thank you guys for the feedback!