• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How do you convince the wife?

Sasquatch

I keep mine from complaining by letting her not have to work if she doesnt want. She still does a few hours a week for her own sanity though. I make a good living and she would bitch about why we needed her income when I make enough to support us. Now she has no excuse as shes not really helping out with the bills. She still does occasionally though and I just remind her that the bronco was here long before her;D As for the garage, it sounds like you waited too long to junk it all up. There has never been anything in our garage except a bronco and my other toys. That has to start very early in a relationship for her to give up parking rights for eternity. SB

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
Well..when I wanted to get the Bronco, I told her I wanted a motorcycle, a real fast one that I'd surely kill myself on...when I mentioned the Bronco as a fallback, she was all over it.

As far as the upgrades, it costs me twice as much, but I let her travel when she wants to (so long as she takes the kids so I have time to work on the truck.) Hard for her to argue when she uses just as much (if not more) "fun money" as I do...

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
I wear the pants in my family. I just do it and dare her to complain. :) I almost got that done without smiling. We have been on a restricted income for the past few years and now that some extra money is available, she doesn't care what I get. Just so long as I don't put anything on credit. We owe no one and she wants to keep it that way.

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
So, the title kinda says it all. How do you convince the wife that you NEED the new stone crusher steering, or the new mig welder, or that your bronco must now take over the 2 car garage so you can take it down to the frame? What is the secret?

Thats easy....Plan, Prep, Execute, Always associate the tool or part with something that she needs done around the house on your honey-do list, Cheap, Safe, Horror stories of the past, avenues for future projects on the home........Thats how I got a Roll Bar =)

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
I just spend it and she hardly ever asks. When she does, she never says anything about it. She knows I am going to spend money on my hobbies and she justs lets it go. That's the way you can stay married for 35 years.

neonizagas

Loc.
Minneapolis, MN
My wife helps with the Bronco! She works at a Chevy Dealership part time to help pay for parts. She keeps asking me if were going to take the Harley out this year!%) " The bike has'nt been out since our first date"%)
Guess I better get the bike out this summer!
Happy wife Happy life!

Gerry

eblightning

The 'honey do' list grows by the second. Honesty, bartering, and a bed and breakfast date during the trip to p/u a Bronco always helps!

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
You can relate just about any part that you need to buy to safety.
"I need the stone chrusher steering to keep me straight on the highways, the big meats and lockers to have better traction and stay on the road in the winter, the lift to fit the big meats, etc. etc. "I just want to keep us safe honey". Works every time.

Hogback

I would come in the house acting mad that my tie rods and steering linkages are worn out and that I will have to park it until this serious safety issue is resolved. Thank God that Stone Crusher has the answer...

It's all in the acting. You've got to put your feet down men, but you've gotta be slick...

wait, the wife is calling. No honey, i'm not on that bronco website again i'm studying relationship improvement techniques.

MpCrewcab

Loc.
Jefferson, WI
From the other side-- get them involved in going on wheeling trips, take the kids along. Take them to Disney, OK rather than Disney, FL! You want to get a new plasma-- show them the video that comes with it, man that thing works wonders!

When we built the new bronco he debated on the front coilovers. I said but its only $1300.00 more whats a little more $, when we were so far into it. Needless to say I didnt think about the 4 link, DOM, heims and now the new steering.....a little more then the original $1300.00

heck there's alot worse to do with $$- the Bronco is atleast something the whole family enjoys in our case.

the other half

hammer

Bronco Guru
I sold the first bronco to buy our first house. Then i made the "you get a ring when I get my bronco back" deal. So I got another bronco and she got a ring. Only thing is this wedding planning is really getting in the way of my build;) Can't complain got her to let me buy a 7000 lb rotary hoist for the garage today! Got a good deal, could'nt pass it up. "And with the hoist I can put tthe chassis under the tub and you can park in the garage again". He He, I'm awsome;D

orange69

I still struggle at times, but one thing that seems to work most of the time is taking her out 4-wheeling and showing her the things that need fixing. For example tires. Mine were shot and we went wheeling w/ my club and she saw first hand how much we struggled keeping up w/ the rest of them. For our next anniversary she said let just buy tires for the bronco!;D But it doesn't work all the time because she doesn't always go with me.

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
I sold the first bronco to buy our first house. Then i made the "you get a ring when I get my bronco back" deal. So I got another bronco and she got a ring. Only thing is this wedding planning is really getting in the way of my build;) Can't complain got her to let me buy a 7000 lb rotary hoist for the garage today! Got a good deal, could'nt pass it up. "And with the hoist I can put tthe chassis under the tub and you can park in the garage again". He He, I'm awsome;D

Sounds like you found a keeper.

BYUBRONC

Loc.
Bermuda Dunes, CA
I just remind her that I have never told her NO, about anything. "Whatever you want baby." has worked magic over the years. Realize its always a give and take, the more you give, the more you can take. It helps that my 4 year old is into the bronco. He has been saying for a year that he wants it painted Yellow. Well the new paint job, coming in a week or two is for us, because I want it grey. The safety thing works to. Show her some photos of wrecks, explain how it could of been prevented or worse with or without the proper gear.

Bronchopper

Loc.
Incirlik, Turkey
man you guys are going about it all wrong. i just convinced her that she loves eb's. so she bought one for us. it is her daily driver, but since i am the head mechanic and fixer of all things bronco, of course i can drive it whenever i like. oh and convincing her to fix or upgrade it is easy. it is her daily driver, so she sees the benefits directly of any money spent (usually her $$$ by the way) on the bronc. best part is I get to buy bronco parts for her birthday and not even be in the dog house for doing it!

howz that for a plan?

Kidney

ME MAN! YOU WOMAN! Either I get my parts or I'm taking my rib back! Now go make me a pie.....Hey..Hey....When I give an order I expect a Yes, Master."

After that you slap her on the butt and say "that's a good wife". It's really that easy.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
From the other side-- get them involved in going on wheeling trips, take the kids along. Take them to Disney, OK rather than Disney, FL! You want to get a new plasma-- show them the video that comes with it, man that thing works wonders!
When we built the new bronco he debated on the front coilovers. I said but its only $1300.00 more whats a little more $, when we were so far into it. Needless to say I didnt think about the 4 link, DOM, heims and now the new steering.....a little more then the original $1300.00
heck there's alot worse to do with $$- the Bronco is atleast something the whole family enjoys in our case.
the other half

A perfect wife! :)

ME MAN! YOU WOMAN! Either I get my parts or I'm taking my rib back! Now go make me a pie.....Hey..Hey....When I give an order I expect a Yes, Master."
After that you slap her on the butt and say "that's a good wife". It's really that easy.

You must be single. :p :)