• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How do you remove extra vacuum fittings Explorer upper intake?

gclauson

Contributor
Sort of a lame question- I've searched here and the Mustang forums but not found a clear answer.

What is the best way to remove the unused vacuum fittings from the underside of Explorer intakes? Heat? Vice Grips?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The few I have removed are simply pressed in steel nipples into the aluminum. A shot of penatrating lube the day before never hurts. But vicegrips and pull with a little rotational rocking motion.

Vacuum caps and just cover the ports is pretty easy as well.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I’ve found that those ports sometimes break when trying to remove them. The easiest has been to drill out the remaining fitting and tap the hole. Then plug with a brass pipe threaded plug.

Mark

OP
OP
G

gclauson

Contributor
Thanks for the replies and suggestion.
I have been worried about them breaking and causing me to spend hours drilling them out, so I think I'll follow the suggestions to just cap them. It is not as "clean" as removing, but simpler. I recall on other threads reading that the current parts store caps do not last, so I'll try to find some oem ones at the JY.

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i twisted most of mine out. a couple i had to drill out. i tapped all the holes. some i plugged, some i used inverted flare adapters and routed new hand made hard lines

Hank

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If you want to twist them out put the shank of a drill bit inside the tube so when you clamp down with the vicegrips the tube stays intact and can only close down to the drill bit size. Less likley to break that way.

OP
OP
G

gclauson

Contributor
Hmmm... The idea of supporting the tube with a drill bit makes sense. I may try that on a spare manifold!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
All the metal-tube hose fittings of different sizes on the top, bottom and sides of a Ford upper intake. He's wanting Explorer specific advice, but all the Ford stuff like that has extra fittings that don't get used on a typical Bronco swap.
Most of us only use one (PCV), two (PCV and brake booster) or maybe three (PVC, booster and trans modulator) of them, but I think the Explorer upper has something like 8!

Paul

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Don't forget one for the fuel pressure regulator and maybe one for canister purge.

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
and EGR if you retaining that function. I ended up with four lines and two plugs i seem to recall

Hank

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There is a photo/diagram someone made in photoshop. Don’t remember the thread. Does anyone recall?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great. Let us know how they work out down the road if you think about it.
But don't ignore them either, if for some unknown reason the engine starts to run a little rough in the future. Might not happen with those, but you know how "assuming" ends up sometimes!

Good luck!

Paul