• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hydro boost Comparison/Install prep

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
About 6 months ago I went to the local pick n' pull yard in search of disc conversion stuff. Struck out but there were a few hydro units, and bound and determined not to leave empty handed (or with the cash I brought ;)) I pulled an Astro unit. In theprocess I found an F250 which had a hydro unit and it was a matter of 4 bolts to bring it home. Since my yard only charges $15 for power boosters I took a gamble on the second unit. Fast forward to today and I started to strip out the units and compare them. At first I thought the mounting brackets were the same however they are not, but no fear, Chuck to the rescue, ordered my bracket yesterday.

The units themselves are identical as far as I can tell however they do have different casting numbers. The Masters are different as well but I am going to go with the 4 wheel disc vette set up when I convert to 4 wheel. (although I bet the one I have from the 250 is already disc brake set up) The big difference I see is that the rod coming off of the hydro unit itself is about 4" on the Astro unit and 5" on the 250 unit. I know that the Astro unit is lenghtened for use, anyone have a number for how much it is lengthed? Will the 250 unit work as is?

Planning a writeup once I actually do this which may still be a while since I have to get the disc conversions set up too.

Attachments

• hydrounitssidebyside.jpg
    hydrounitssidebyside.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 154
  • astrorod.jpg
    astrorod.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 126
  • F250rod.jpg
    F250rod.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 113
  • h-boost-routing.jpg
    h-boost-routing.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 155
OP
OP
fatboy

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
SOOOOOO, which one is mine??? ;D

Astro unit on the right in the picture (above). Interestingly the 250 unit (on the left above) has adaptors on it already to convert from metric fittings to standard fittings (see in the picture below.) I bet a good Ford Parts guy could find part numbers. ;)

Attachments

• Ford unit.JPG
    Ford unit.JPG
    273.8 KB · Views: 107
OP
OP
fatboy

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
know one?

I will let you know as soon as he sends me part numbers for them. He might even benifit from having them hisself...

At least I do not THINK he will need year make and model in order to find them like the young whipper snappers at the local auto zone...

nutter3

$15 a unit!!!!!!!!! Thats cheap. The u pull yard up here wanted $200 for an astro hydroboost, but didnt even have one.
I did manage to snag an exploder serp setup for $175.

OP
OP
fatboy

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
No one? Someone who has done teh converdion, can you chime in and give me an idea og how much longer the rod will need to be?

Thanks!

blakerj10

Loc.
Gillette
I am doing one right now. Got it from an 06 F250. The pedal rod won't work for me as is. The brake pedal is too low when hooked up. It only needs to be extended about a half to 3/4 or an inch. That will raise the pedal about two inches. Oh... I am using a peice of 3/16 plate to bolt it to the firewall. This one also clears my efi 351 set-up with no angle bracket.

OP
OP
fatboy

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Using the Astro booster as a basis, anyone have an idea on overall length of the rod that goes trough the fire wall? I am looking for the "corrected" length. May try and have one machined to the correct length instead of cutting and threading.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
i'm sure it's gonna be a trial and error type thing.....got my pump saturday. Ordering up brackets

jeremy92555

Loc.
Riverside,CA
I just picked one up at my local pick a part saturday off of a 93 astro van for 29.99. I hope to start this project this weekend. Need to have hoses made still

NYLES

Bronco Guru
I just picked one up at my local pick a part saturday off of a 93 astro van for 29.99. I hope to start this project this weekend. Need to have hoses made still

build em yourself...russel line and fittings...easier than ya think

BroncoMark

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Irvine CA
Yeah, the hoses aren't too hard to make. Get the TFE hose and fittings. The hose has a teflon inner liner and the fittings can be installed with hand tools.

jeremy92555

Loc.
Riverside,CA
I would love to do the stainless but am scared the preasure would blow the fittings off. I am not doubting you guys just concerned.