• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hydroboost upgrade?

NashBronco

Loc.
Flowood, MS
So I have a relatively stock 67 bronco. Manual steering and brakes. I have upgraded to Cheby front disk brakes. I would like to upgrade to hydroboost.

1. Can anyone direct me to a good build thread?
2. I will purchase a “kit” as I don’t have the time to source parts. Also, hopefully kits come with instructions. Any recommendations on a kit/vendor.?
3. Any general advice on this project?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I can't speak for all the other vendors of course, but if you're planning this out for the near future, place the order to put your name on a kit as soon as possible. They're often on long-term backorder (for one part or another) and you don't want to wait until the last moment to try to get one.
You might get lucky, or might not...

This may not apply to all sources, so by all means check around and listen to what others have to say. But it doesn't cost you anything (with us anyway) to put your name on the list. We'll just give a call when it's ready to make sure you still need one.

If you want to preview some instructions, ours are here: WH Power Brake Products
Just click on the #3073 kit and then on the instruction icon.
Should be the same basic installation for the #2996 MOAB kit show, but with some very slight variations on the attachment to the existing brake lines.

Hope that helps.

Paul

OP
OP
NashBronco

NashBronco

Loc.
Flowood, MS
I assume I need to upgrade to power steering before the hydroboost? My manual steering is really good but I plan on doing that a some point anyway.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, that's a given. But not unfortunately.
The manual steering starts losing some of it's allure when caster numbers are raised up, and/or tire size and wheel offset change. So in most cases, power steering becomes a good thing on an Early Bronco.

And most manual gearboxes are well worn out by now, and cost a fair piece to rebuild. Only to have a 6-turn box still.
With larger tires, manual steering is not great. With more desirable caster numbers, manual steering is not great. It's also weaker in general, with those larger tires.

But I still love manual gearboxes for their simplicity. No extra bs under the hood, but you learn to live with the extra bs sometimes.
My first extensive wheeling trip where I was driving with power steering (all around Moab, UT) was really a game-changer for me. Even though I didn't want anything that made it harder to steer if the engine stalled, the power assist was so nice! Was very tempting no matter what previous feelings were.
And with EFI coming to the fore, engines stalling and losing power assist to the steering and brakes was not as common.

In your case, it certainly does add to the cost and complexity of the project.
But if you want more powerful brakes and don't "mind" power steering, it ends up being a good thing in the end.

So what was your plan for the steering prior to this? Upgrade way down the road? Or coming soon anyway?
And is there a real need for stronger brakes? Manual brakes are not bad, but if you are more used to (and like) more modern vehicles, then I can understand power brakes. Generally speaking though, vacuum assist, while weaker than hydroboost on Broncos, is still adequate for smaller tires.
Usually...

Paul

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
I can't speak for all the other vendors of course, but if you're planning this out for the near future, place the order to put your name on a kit as soon as possible. They're often on long-term backorder (for one part or another) and you don't want to wait until the last moment to try to get one.
You might get lucky, or might not...

This may not apply to all sources, so by all means check around and listen to what others have to say. But it doesn't cost you anything (with us anyway) to put your name on the list. We'll just give a call when it's ready to make sure you still need one.

Paul
Good advice here. I ordered a kit from another vendor around Thanksgiving (ad said 6-8 weeks lead time) and I am still waiting.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I recently installed a WH deluxe power brake upgrade kit on a customers stock 68 with 200 6. Installed the WH Chevy disk brake upgrade at the same time. Huge improvement and customer was thrilled. I’m a big fan of hydroboost and have installed a lot of them....but the vacuum boosted brakes are great too.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Is power steering required for hydroboost? No.
But you do need a power steering pump.
What you do is simple, take the pressure hose that would normally go between the hydroboost and the steering box, and just run that back to the pump (or remote reservoir if that style).

So start planning ahead now for what you want the final accessory drive to be. Anything from existing V-belts to whatever. A very good upgrade is the Explorer V8 accessory drive, but that is a whole other project. The reason I point this out is you don't want to sink money into the wrong upgrade (this part being the power steering pump). If a V-belt is fine, great. If you are planning on adding A/C, wanting a better cooling package, change the accessory drive later you probably don't want to invest a lot into a power steering pump just to take it off again later.

So that is pretty much it. An off the shelf hydroboost kit, and some sort of power steering pump setup. Maybe an extra piece of hose or an odd fitting to get that power steering pump bypass hose in.

Power steering added later. Just remove the bypass hose, install the steering gear and a cooler.

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
Broncobowsher,
This was an interesting approach. Just curious how you would plumb the high pressure hose from the HB back into the return port on the steering pump tho. The returns are low pressure ports and don’t have a fitting to accept a high pressure line.

Also it seems that the fluid returning to the pump under high pressure would possibly create air bubbles in the fluid.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
i bought the wildhorese MOAB system! top notch shit!!! been sitting in the basement for 6 months now. Order long before you think youll need it.

The problem is that this is a huge spiral of work. You need to look at something like the 4x4x2 steering box upgrade. Get a WH pump bracket. A collapsible steering shaft and 2 steering u joints. If you had a radiator like mine with a extrernal pressure resevore thing then youll need a new radiator as well. some pulleys and belts as well. Its a huge undertaking but when done its worth it. I drove for like 5 years with 37" tires and still was running manual steering and 4 wheel manual drums. first i did the power steering and all that entails. then i put in a dana 44 that i did a disk brake conversion to, still running manual brakes for now. This summer ill get the hydroboost installed and a fluid cooler and a steering ram.

Good luck. All good upgrades that make driving funner and safer.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's only high pressure if you restrict it.

Exactly. You could install a PS pump just to operate a hydroboost unit. A silly proposition unless you plan to go with power steering at some point....

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Exactly. You could install a PS pump just to operate a hydroboost unit. A silly proposition unless you plan to go with power steering at some point....

Agreed on it being low pressure if it’s just going back to the pump reservoir. My buddy wants to run two PS pumps. One for Hydro boost, and one for the steering. He’s convinced that’s the best way to go! %)
Maybe just a better pump over the stock Mustang pump would be the place to start?

Mark

Bronco Maniac

My Bronco came with a WH hydroboost in a box. I googled enough info to do the installation. Followed the cutout guide from WH. There is a schematic on this site somewhere for running the plumbing. Great brakes.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...My buddy wants to run two PS pumps. One for Hydro boost, and one for the steering. He’s convinced that’s the best way to go! %)

Is he putting it in a Bronco, or a Mustang? Or something else?
Not many vehicles have the room for twin power steering pumps, and so far it's not even a needed thing on anybody else's radar as far as I know.
A single pump with the dual-return setup is the ticket.
And even the dual-returns are not required. You can also simply "T" the return lines together to meet up with the more typical single return port.
But dual-returns are probably a little better.

Maybe just a better pump over the stock Mustang pump would be the place to start?

Definitely! The newer Mustang pumps were better than the old Ford Thomson pumps that Broncos got, but not enough to be considered a good pump for heavy use.
The modern Saginaw/Delphi "Canned Ham" pumps are the way to go.

Paul

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
Agreed on it being low pressure if it’s just going back to the pump reservoir. My buddy wants to run two PS pumps. One for Hydro boost, and one for the steering. He’s convinced that’s the best way to go! %)

Mark

Mark, I didn’t even think about those shiny, fancy diamond encrusted remote reservoirs that you guys are running. I’m sure you could run you high pressure line that comes out of the HB directly to that.

I’ve got the po’ boy Dual return Saginaw pump. I’d have no way to route the HP line back in to my pump.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Mark

Why on earth would he want to do that?....there is virtually no flow required for the hydroboost operation.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Why on earth would he want to do that?....there is virtually no flow required for the hydroboost operation.

I’m with you on this, but my buddy can be a bit stubborn. He’s convinced he has no assisted steering while on the brakes, so rather than installing an upgraded pump, he seems to like the two pump route. %)

Mark

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I’m with you on this, but my buddy can be a bit stubborn. He’s convinced he has no assisted steering while on the brakes, so rather than installing an upgraded pump, he seems to like the two pump route. %)

Mark

I've heard of that problem with the Ford Super Duty trucks (and even had it for awhile on my Super Duty) but I blame it on the crummy Ford C-II pumps :). I've never had the problem with Saginaw pumps or even the Explorer C-III pumps which put out a lot less gpm and pressure in stock form.

Todd Z.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I've heard of that problem with the Ford Super Duty trucks (and even had it for awhile on my Super Duty) but I blame it on the crummy Ford C-II pumps :). I've never had the problem with Saginaw pumps or even the Explorer C-III pumps which put out a lot less gpm and pressure in stock form.

Todd Z.

I think my buddy has a C-II pump on his Mustang 5.0. I bet a new Delphi/Saginaw pump would solve his issue.

Mark

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I’m with you on this, but my buddy can be a bit stubborn. He’s convinced he has no assisted steering while on the brakes,

To quote a very wise woman: "That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works."

;D