• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I Survived the Alaska Highway (ALCAN)

Warhead13

Loc.
St. Augustine, Fl
Was stationed at Eielson AFB from 96-2000. Loved it up there. Drove from Ft. Walton Bch Fl to Fairbanks AK and back twice! Had to drive the ALCAN in the winter once too! That was lots of fun. Enjoy your time there SMSgt! What Squadron you going to?

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
After Vietnam, my Dad was stationed in Alaska with the Air Force. Put his Shelby Mustang on blocks in the back yard of my great aunt's house, and drove his newly purchased Early Bronco from Gettysburg, PA to Anchorage, AL! Unpaved at the time. Bet it was awesome......

OP
OP
Chief Master Sergeant

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
I haven't been on here for a week or so, so I missed answering a few questions.

I am at 11th Air Force in a boring desk job. It's about to kill me. :)

I haven't replaced my tranny and probably won't unless she craps out on me. I'm currently looking for spindles and backing plates for the Chevy disk brake conversion. Plus, I bought a new Duraspark dizzy to make her run a little better. I still need to find a wiring harness and box for it though.

So far we love Alaska. I passed emissions and may not ever have to worry about it again, as they just voted to do away with it in two years. Without doors, I won't be driving much in the winter. Someone mentioned doors. I would have to replace my door posts to attach doors again. They were rotted. I removed most of the rust and put new metal in its place, but I don't think it would support the doors well. I sprayed POR 15 inside them to help stop further rust, but know eventually I will have to replace them. I plan to use the winter to fix a few oil leaks and get her ready for wheeling this spring. I plan to get some new tires and wheels as well if I find what I want.

Anyway, thanks for all the welcomes. It's good to be among so many fellow EB lovers.