• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I (was) getting very angry. c6 is installed.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I am going to bitch a little. If you dont want to hear it, I understand. here goes.
Transmission!!!! Most of you know that I haven't been able to keep an AOD in my truck. I keep breaking hard parts like sun gears and planetary sets. My first trans was supposed to have all the fancy good parts in it. I was charged over 2K to have all the upgrades done to it. When it broke(under 200 miles on it)I took it out and went back to the transmission place to get it fixed. After about 5 weeks the transmission was finished and I got it back. They charged me $200.00 I was not to happy about that but I paid it. The second AOD also broke the same way, it only 25 miles on it. I called the shop and the owner and I agreed on a plan to build a C6 instead of the AOD.
I have a 400 engine in my truck. I went to great lengths to find a block that had a small block bolt pattern on it. I did this because I wanted an AOD trans and they only were made with small block patterns. Now going to the C6 I no longer have to have that special block so the extra money spent there is a waste. problem is the c6/205 combo is very very hard to find in a small block. The combo is getting hard to find at all, even in a big block. So I had to bring the trans shop a small block c6 and a big block c6 core. BB was set up for a 205 and needed to be put into the SB to fit my truck. I spent $ 300.00 on cores and took them to the trans shop. I got an e mail today saying my trans is ready. I called them and they told me I owe them $ 600.00 WTFYMFB's!!! I asked the guy why it was costing me anything at all? He said if I give them the AOD converter they will knock off $ 150.00
I again asked him why do I have to pay anything? He said the boss told him that was the price. Well, I know the boss and I told him to have the boss call me when he wasn't too busy. I also sent this e mail to try and help them see my point of view. I really got worked up over this and would like to say typing this all out helps me vent. your such good listeners. I wonder if court is in my future? love Bax.
E mail----
Eric, The more I think about this whole transmission deal the more upset I get. I look at it like this. Someone buys a product from a store. That product doesn't work and is taken back to where it was bought. The store is given a chance to make it right. The store replaces the product at no charge to the original purchaser. The second replacement is also bad and is brought back to the store once again. At this point I believe the purchaser has every right to ask for his/ her money back. Another option may be for the store to offer something else that will work for the purchaser.
Wow that is easy. I think that is about what we did. How about you give me my money back for the AOD. I will pay you your full price for the C6. Or Give me the C6 as a replacement for the non working AOD. I paid the first time, the second time and now the third? Not to mention the 3 oil coolers , 2 cases of oil, and 3 cores, forget labor. The additional $600.00 is not going to work for me. You say if I give you the AOD converter the price will come down? If you exchange the AOD for the C6 you will get the whole thing.
This transmission BS has taken over 2 months to come to this?
Please tell me what your final answers on this will be. I still need to move forward on my transmission issues.
Thank you for your help
Roger Baxter
On Apr 24, 2008, at 11:43 AM, Eric Secaur wrote:

Everything dynoed fine, the transmission came up this morning, its a
paperwork game now, and should be ready for pick up later this afternnoon at
which point we will give you a call.

Thanks,

Eric Secaur
Account Representative
J.W. Performance Transmissions
(321) 632-6205 ext.18
www.racewithjw.com

Last edited:

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
I'm real sorry to hear that man, I agree you spent the money on the cores so it shouldn't cost you a cent to get the C-6 made I assume the shop owner knew all about the 400, so he shouldn't have built aod's that can't take the power.

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
umm, My bud is pushing over 500 rwhp and runs an honest 10.50's at 126 mph at the strip and his AOD has held up just fine.

Obviously you have a crummy builder who isn't shimming the trans properly.

The only other thing I could think of would be the multiplication of backlash throughout the various drivetrain compents shocking the AOD, but it would have to be pretty extreme especially having a TC that cushions the blow.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
WOW! i'm glad you do have the eloquence to write all that down. I'm real sorry that any of this happened to such a drop dead gorgeous truck. Good luck and if i can help in anyway, by all means le tme know.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
That really sucks, bax. Sorry that you are going through this.

FSRBIKER

Loc.
Oak Ridge, NJ
If you still had Rick's soft top I would say this is a perfect use for it, beat him over the head with it till you get your C6. ;D

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
If you still had Rick's soft top I would say this is a perfect use for it, beat him over the head with it till you get your C6. ;D
When you bring all that back up it makes me think this truck just doesn't want to be done.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru

LMAO might break in half though;D damn Bax that does suck, maybe you should just get rid of that wimpy boat anchor:-X j/k hope you get it sorted out

Sbolt19

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Colorado Springs
Man Bax, I would say that you shouldn't have had to pay the rebuild price for any of it. You have less than 300 miles combined on both rebuilds...that tells me that they are screwing up. Hope you get this squared.

FSRBIKER

Loc.
Oak Ridge, NJ
Nahhh, you will end up with a better quality top that Chuck makes and a bulletproof trans...EB's are worth the blood and sweat we all put into them.

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
I'm not much of a Mechanic and know nothing about Trannies but...I find it very hard to swallow that your 400 is the cause of all your tranny issues. I'm sure it is a very capable engine, but...there are more capable engines with AODs bolted to them. Right?

As one poster elated to, and common sense backups...I would think that this guy simply did not setup your AOD correctly, or perhaps he is not looking at the bigger picture and has failed to find the REAL source of the problem. I think I would not except anything less than perfection. You will always wish that you had an AOD.

Get ALL/MOST your money back and go find someone else to build the tranny you want.

Good Luck Man...I feel for ya!

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I'm not much of a Mechanic and know nothing about Trannies but...I find it very hard to swallow that your 400 is the cause of all your tranny issues. I'm sure it is a very capable engine, but...there are more capable engines with AODs bolted to them. Right?

As one poster elated to, and common sense backups...I would think that this guy simply did not setup your AOD correctly, or perhaps he is not looking at the bigger picture and has failed to find the REAL source of the problem. I think I would not except anything less than perfection. You will always wish that you had an AOD.

Get ALL/MOST your money back and go find someone else to build the tranny you want.

Good Luck Man...I feel for ya!

What he said! I know they are Canooks (Canucks...whatever), but maybe give Lentech a call...they are supposed to be the Autotrans-Gods.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Bax, time to find another shop and talk to your credit card company about how to get your money back. If they cant build your AOD right they sure arent going to build your C6 right. Move elsewhere, they are just sucking money from you like a tick on a dog. Sadly you are currently being treated as the dog. An AOD should be able to be built just fine for your rig and the failure goes to show that it isnt the 400 that is blowing them up. Sorry man, it really sucks this is happening to you.

73ny

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New York
Your letter (e-mail) hit the nail on the head, and if this guy wants to save his reputaion he'll do right by you. You can always mention BBB and small claims, which would suck, but let slip you have lawyer in the family and it wouldn't cost you a cent, but it will cost him more than all the bills together.
Good luck, great truck...

Last edited:

instigator

Bax, several yrs ago i went to jerry @ the building rooom in orlando to check on him building a aod for a wild 302. at this point jerry took inside the shop and showed me every weak piece in the aod and why it is a piece of crap.then he told me not to try and reinvent the wheel and that r&d was very expensive. i took his advice amd the c4 that he built is still ticking somse 5 years later. by the way since then jerry has moved his transmission operation to alabama

mr incredible

Bronco Guru
bax , buddy ......... you really should find a different shop to do your trans work .
yes they should have not charged anything after the first one went kazooey ... period . little lone charge to fix their screw ups ? not!!!

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
I would contact a lawyer if they still wish to charge you anything. You have a very good case against them as long as you had a mileage warrinty on the AOD trans with no restrictions limiting it's use. I would ask the lawyer about your time and the down time of your Bronco.

Just when you think you know some one they almost always change when money is involved, shame on that man and his business. Good luck and keep us posted.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Bax,
What the hell kind of service does that shop have? Sounds likr they are working from the Saddleup business model. And it sucks. You should not have paid anything after the original build. I know when I worked in the family shop anyone who had something go wrong with our work it was covered with a smile. Hell I even layed in a ditch and changed out a clutch on an F-100 that I had installed 2 weeks prior. Bad part but I did it with a smile, even got a few beers out of it.
I will be available Sat. should you need a 6'5" 275 pounder to give you a ride to the Trans shop! I may have a few friends from TNA that would love to have a little fun......... Or I could call the hotline in Philly..........