• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ignition key problem

lagbolt

I recently replaced my ignition key but not the tumbler because I had a problem with it sticking in the start position. After replacing the switch I’m still having the same problem. When I take the tumbler out of the switch it’s nice and free with no sticky spots. Also noticed I have to move it around a little bit when I’m going from off to the on position but doesn’t do it from off to ACC position. Any one have any ideas on what it could be or just replace the Tumbler? I would prefer not to change the tumbler because it’s the original key. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bronco-Brian

Contributor
Loc.
Lake Oswego, OR
Am I hearing you correctly, you replaced the key for the original tumbler? Outside the switch, the tumbler and key are fine - but assembled, it sticks?

OP
OP
lagbolt

lagbolt

Am I hearing you correctly, you replaced the key for the original tumbler? Outside the switch, the tumbler and key are fine - but assembled, it sticks?

No. The key and the tumbler are original and the switch itself is new. I would assume the tumbler is bad but like I said it’s the original key so I wanted to try and keep it.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
If you don’t want to change the key, you can get a new tumbler insert and have a locksmith set the tumblers to THAT key.

OP
OP
lagbolt

lagbolt

Just seems weird that it works fine with the tumbler out of the switch.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
Just seems weird that it works fine with the tumbler out of the switch.

As Murphy’s Law says, “An item selected at random from a group of parts having 99% reliability will be a member of the 1% group.”
I’ve come to the conclusion that Murphy was an optimist. Lol

Randy

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You didn’t happen by any chance to have painted the dash recently? Specially with powder coat? Or did you replace the chrome outer bezel at the same time?

This is one of those creeping death issues we run into all the time. Sometimes the new ignition switches have a spring that’s too stiff or not square to the tube. Sometimes the extra thickness of the paint or powder coat on the dash causes the switch to bind, and sometimes the chrome bezels have slots on the side that are slightly askew. In the worst case you have all of the above!

But sometimes any one of those alone is enough to cause what you’re experiencing.

Paul
(edit: I need to check my speeling and phraseology more closely when I'm using my phone with auto-correct!)

Last edited:
OP
OP
lagbolt

lagbolt

Dirtdonk the chrome bezel is new and the dash was just painted.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A'ha! The plot thickens then!
Did you say that you'd installed the entire switch assembly out of the dash? Bezel and all? Or did you just leave it loose and insert the cylinder and key?

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do you have your old chrome bezel still by any chance? (I hope I hope I hope!) That way you can test this part of the theory.
If it's regular paint, it's not as often the culprit at powder coat. But it can still be.

Paul

OP
OP
lagbolt

lagbolt

The reason for changing the bezel was because it was damaged beyond repair and yes regular paint. So what your saying is that the paint can be holding out the tumbler causing it to bind, That or the new bezel?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
But it can still be a problem with the cut of the spring on the new switch as well.
More likely the bezel still, but can’t ignore the switch.

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Paul,
Does one hone the bezel a little bit?
What is the fix on this?
-I am having the same issue on my buddies Bronco

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sometimes it’s an all of the above scenario.
I can’t for the moment remember anyone ever saying they tried to honing the bezel out. Probably because there were too many other associated problems and honing didn’t seem to be the big issue.
Although I can’t imagine it wouldn’t help in some cases, because, sometimes removing the little stainless cover over the key slot on the cylinder is enough to free it up. This would seem to indicate a tight fit between the cylinder and Buzzle. Unfortunately, yours is the original cylinder, so it’s probably not the issue. But the bore of the basil could be.
My first suggestion would be to remove everything from the dash and assemble it outside of the dash. If it still sticks, then you have narrowed it down a little bit. If it frees up and works properly, that might narrow it down a bit too.
Don’t hone the bezel just yet, but keep that idea in reserve if needed.