• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Is clutch/pressure plate for 76 302ci the same as 95 5.8L?

kat

Loc.
Bristol
So starting to get that squeaky throw out bearing sound the brings shivers up your spine so want to go ahead and replace clutch and pressure plate on my '76 3 speed.

It originally had a 302 but replaced engine with a 95 5.8l crate engine. Sooooooooooo, I don't want to confuse the local auto parts guy so do I want to look for a 1976 ford 302ci or a 1995 5.8L clutch/pressure plate/throw out bearing/pilot bearing.

Im pretty sure they are the same 10 spline clutch but just thought I would check in with the Guru's. Thanks

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Which clutch did you use when you put the 95 engine in?
What transmission are you using?

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I'm running stock 74 302 clutch and PP behind my 96 W. I went with a Luk diaphragm style PP vs. the 3 fingers. Much smoother and nicer pedal.

Tim

jhill52

I called LUK when I did mine last fall. They were able to give me the correct part no. I ordered mine from Advanced Auto. I bought a kit with pilot bearing throw out bearing pressure plate and disc. Because it was over $100 I got free shipping to my home. Also Excell found me a coupon for $40.00 off. Luk makes high quality parts in the USA .

jhill52

So starting to get that squeaky throw out bearing sound the brings shivers up your spine so want to go ahead and replace clutch and pressure plate on my '76 3 speed.

It originally had a 302 but replaced engine with a 95 5.8l crate engine. Sooooooooooo, I don't want to confuse the local auto parts guy so do I want to look for a 1976 ford 302ci or a 1995 5.8L clutch/pressure plate/throw out bearing/pilot bearing.

Im pretty sure they are the same 10 spline clutch but just thought I would check in with the Guru's. Thanks
No not the same clutch Bolt pattern is different. Ask me how I know.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The flywheel bolting tot he engine, that is the same pattern.
The pressure plate to the flywheel, that changes pattern. Early flywheel has a different bolt pattern than the late flywheel.
Either flywheel will work with either engine.
Without knowing what is in there now, you don't know what will fit. Unless you get everything new and just start with a new reference point.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
So I got 2 different answers...Im confused
Yup, you got the answers that you gave the information for.

Unfortunately you did not provide the one detail that actually controls which pressure plate you need. As noted by Broncobowsher...there are two different pressure plate bolt patterns on the 164 tooth flywheel. The actual number is 5. There is the Early Truck Flywheel, with an 11 inch Long clutch pattern. There is the Early Car flywheel, with a 10 inch Long clutch pattern. There is the late truck flywheel, with an 11 inch Diaphragm clutch pattern. There is the 95-96 Truck flywheel with the 11.5 inch diaphragm pattern. And there are they myriad of aftermarket replacement flywheels with multiple clutch patterns.

All of these flywheels are 28 oz-in imbalance, 164 tooth small block ford flywheels.

Tell me which one flywheel you have, and I'll tell you which clutch will fit it. Of course...if you knew exactly which flywheel you had, you probably know what clutch you need. And yes, they are all 1-1/16 x 10 spline disc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Yup, you got the answers that you gave the information for.

Unfortunately you did not provide the one detail that actually controls which pressure plate you need. As noted by Broncobowsher...there are two different pressure plate bolt patterns on the 164 tooth flywheel. The actual number is 5. There is the Early Truck Flywheel, with an 11 inch Long clutch pattern. There is the Early Car flywheel, with a 10 inch Long clutch pattern. There is the late truck flywheel, with an 11 inch Diaphragm clutch pattern. There is the 95-96 Truck flywheel with the 11.5 inch diaphragm pattern. And there are they myriad of aftermarket replacement flywheels with multiple clutch patterns.

All of these flywheels are 28 oz-in imbalance, 164 tooth small block ford flywheels.

Tell me which one flywheel you have, and I'll tell you which clutch will fit it. Of course...if you knew exactly which flywheel you had, you probably know what clutch you need. And yes, they are all 1-1/16 x 10 spline disc.
Sorry for the confusion guys. When I replaced my 302ci with the 5.8L, I used the 302 flywheel and PRETTY sure I used my used 302 clutch and pressure plate for the time being.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Sorry for the confusion guys. When I replaced my 302ci with the 5.8L, I used the 302 flywheel and PRETTY sure I used my used 302 clutch and pressure plate for the time being.
OK, now we are getting somewhere. Your 302 would have come from the factory with an 11 inch, long clutch. The bolt circle would be 12-3/8 diamter, and staggered (3 pairs of 2) for a lever clutch.

So now you just need to decide whether you want a diaphragm clutch, or a replacement long style clutch. Either way, if you order a clutch for a 1976 Ford Bronco 302, you should be good to go.

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
OK, now we are getting somewhere. Your 302 would have come from the factory with an 11 inch, long clutch. The bolt circle would be 12-3/8 diamter, and staggered (3 pairs of 2) for a lever clutch.

So now you just need to decide whether you want a diaphragm clutch, or a replacement long style clutch. Either way, if you order a clutch for a 1976 Ford Bronco 302, you should be good to go.
Which is better? Diaphram or long style? Any other replacement parts with the Diaphram?? I did look a little in hydraulic clutch but there is alot to that process

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My take on it is that the Long style has been a great product for many years. Good longevity and good linear action.
The advantages of diaphragm are from what I can tell, more choices in brands, and generally softer pedal pressure for a given amount of clamping force.

One disadvantage that seems to crop up now and then is the need for a little more pedal travel. Necessitating some tweaks to adjustments.
Not sure if that’s universal, or an individual characteristic.

Another possible disadvantage is limiting your choices based on the bolt pattern. However if you can find what you want in the correct bolt pattern for yours, you’re good to go.

I’m sure others can add better details, but that’s what I’ve observed from out here looking in. I was still running a Long style in my 71, but will likely be changing to a diaphragm style next with a change in transmission type and the Centerforce brand clutch.

Reactions: kat