• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Junkyard / Pick-A-Part for Power Steering?

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi,

I'm hoping to find a rebuilt/remanufactured dual return power steering pump and hydroboost brakes to purchase from one of the forum members.

I just want to make sure I'm looking at all of the options.

I haven't gone junkyard picking in a long time (decades). In general is it a good thing to do, or do the risks of buying like this make it less attractive?

If I decide to go the route of looking for parts locally, it's my understanding that Astro vans are a good choice for hydroboost. What about the power steering pump? What is the best way to identify a dual return pump that will best fit my 1971 with a 302?

(I also need to figure out what steering box I have being that 1971s didn't come with power steering... yet I have power steering.)

I know some of this information is spread around on some other threads. I hope no one minds that I brought the two together here.

Thanks

Jeff

DuneBuster

Loc.
Canton
Good news is the info you want is somewhere on this site in the old postings.
The bad news is you need to search for it. The search engine is pretty good.

Personally I went to NAPA and got a Cardone canned ham pump. I forgot the number but it's ran well but since I didn't do Hydroboost I didn't need the dual port pump.

BTW I'm not a huge fan of hydroboost over vacuum systems. Both have positives and negatives. One point while up on the soapbox is hydroboost means when the engine shuts down you have 1 stops' worth of pressure. If you do a vacuum system and get a medium sized vacuum storage can in it and a back pressure valve you can have more/longer stop power. IMHO the bottom line is that for the size of these vehcles, the stopping power is about the same..

Ranchtruck

The hydroboost reverts back to the stock manual braking performance when the engine stops because the pedal ratio is the same. The vacuum boost systems often use a different pedal ratio to get better brake feel, and you're worse off when the engine stops.

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
I'm hoping to find a rebuilt/remanufactured dual return power steering pump and hydroboost brakes to purchase from one of the forum members.

Scrapman1971 can help you out with both. Good seller.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Hi,

I just want to make sure I'm looking at all of the options.

I haven't gone junkyard picking in a long time (decades). In general is it a good thing to do, or do the risks of buying like this make it less attractive?

If I decide to go the route of looking for parts locally, it's my understanding that Astro vans are a good choice for hydroboost. What about the power steering pump? What is the best way to identify a dual return pump that will best fit my 1971 with a 302?

(I also need to figure out what steering box I have being that 1971s didn't come with power steering... yet I have power steering.)

I know some of this information is spread around on some other threads. I hope no one minds that I brought the two together here.

Thanks

Jeff

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131746&highlight=hydroboost+101

This should help you... It did for me...

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the great advice.

I want to make sure I have a good handle on everything before I get started.

Sorry for requesting information that was already available in other threads... I have been known to miss things when wading through large numbers of posts. Having your help finding them is a great thing.

Jeff

Mr. Lav

the powersteering pump is a 1977 licoln continential from auto zone #6002 for 56.99 and it is a dual return, just bought one today, fits good