• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

just had the 393 dyno tuned.

OP
OP
sicaz66

sicaz66

Bronco Guru
Loc.
san diego
JWMcCrary said:
I am building almost the same engine. I am using a little smaller cam. I bought the Comp Cams Xtreme 4X4, 210/218 duration, .477/.493 lift @ .50, 111 lobe separation. Their next size up is almost identical to your Crane cam. Comp Cams recommended the one I bought when I described the rest of my build.

Everything else is almost identical. My block is a 79. I bought the 2.02 valve heads. KB pistons. COmp Cams roller rockers and push rods, same intake and carb, MSD dist, coil, & ignition box.....

Bought B.C. Broncos water pump and a Ron Davis radiator hopefully to help keep it cool.

Just got to find the time to get it all together.

mine has the b.c. pump,and the triple bypass radiator,with the intake tapped for the crossover.never gets over 190. :cool:

OP
OP
sicaz66

sicaz66

Bronco Guru
Loc.
san diego
bmc69 said:
I was going to guess something like that too..my 408 dynoed on the stand at 342HP and very close to 500 ft-lbs (before the questions start..it's purposely set up for very very high torque at unusually low RPM..hence the apparent 'mismatch' between the peak HP and peak torque). The numbers estimated in the quote above appear to be a very good guess for what the flywheel numbers would be on that 393, based on the rear wheel data. And 260 at the ground is going to motivate the truck..thats for sure.. ;D

i was told by"the dyno shop"that it is losing about 1/3 of the hp through the drive train. it is estimated to be 380hp and 470ftlbs.at the flywheel.

OP
OP
sicaz66

sicaz66

Bronco Guru
Loc.
san diego
76Broncofromhell said:
I think the horsepower loss is due to such a small cam. Come on it's a 393 give it some cam. My Bronco is a lot faster since you rode in it last year Jason. I actually fixed the timing issues with it. I would have gone with at least .500+ lift and over 270 duration on the stroker. I happened to use a 108 lobe center with 308 duration and .534 lift.

If you want horsepower that's the setup to use. It's not too fuel efficient but it gets the job done.

Oh yeah....how much was that dyno test?

it was ran on 87 octane fuel(that`s what i told them to tune it for) i would have ran at least .234 @.50 with around .520 lift with 110 on the lobe separation.(may still change it later) but its getting between 12-14 mpg ;D so i`m really happy with it. dyno test was $370.00 plus parts(note:bring your own parts %) )

OP
OP
sicaz66

sicaz66

Bronco Guru
Loc.
san diego
72_EB said:
Yeah, that's terrible. You better pull it out and send it my way. I'll send you my tired motor and you can try again. ;) Seriously, sounds fun. I'm jealous.

O.K DO I HAVE TO PAY FOR SHIPPING TO?

OP
OP
sicaz66

sicaz66

Bronco Guru
Loc.
san diego
68ford said:
hes got pretty high compression, big heads, big intake, decent size cam which i think the rpm heads would compensate for some, i still think that motor should fall into the atleast 1 hp per cubic inch catagory.
hate to say it but gm parts has the 350 with 430hp and 430ft lbs.
what dropped after 5000? torque or hp? like people have been saying those are good numbers to the ground, just think they should be a little higher. :)

both dropped after 5000rpm.and on your GM motor don`t believe everything you read.

Last edited: