• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Leaks, Leaks, Leaks

69Sport

Loc.
ST. Louis
Well I have almost made it to the end of the frame up restore, all I thought I had left was to bleed the steering and the brakes. I started with the brakes just putting the fluid in and letting gravity do its thing. After a few minutes the job got alot bigger. Almost all of my connections had leaks. I understand some of the connections that I flared myself, but even the hard lines I bought for the front had leaks. It has been sitting for over a year with no fluid while the project was going on. I made sure that all the connection were tight, but still have leaks. What should I do. Leaks at the H block and at the juctions front and rear. I had to do something wrong. I even had a leak at the caliper for my rear disk and I installed new copper washers. I went from taking the rig around the block for the first time in a few hours to a total mess. Thanks 69sport

aaronmichorn

Loc.
Taylorsville
when I first installed all of my hard lines, I had several leaks. I used mostly the generic length tubes that are already flared. It was all brand new, and I had 3 or 4 leaks. I tightened them all a bit more, and it cleared it up. I felt like I was going to strip the threads, but I never did. I don't know if you are supposed to have to crank on them that hard or not, but I did, and it fixed it (for now at least).

Bones

Loc.
Michigan
I had to get mine rediculously tight to stop leaking.... Tight wasn't cutting it, rediculously tight did the trick though.

Did you use any sealant on the threads?

OP
OP

69Sport

Loc.
ST. Louis
Sealant

No I did'nt use any sealant yet But I am going to try it in the morning. I had good luck with the Permatex High Performance Tread Sealant on the hydralic clutch fittings. I am going to reflare or run a new line on the line from the junction in the rear to the pass caliper, its questionable. Thanks 69sport

NoJoe

Loc.
san jacinto,ca.
Hi: Just a note, you shouldn't need sealant on those fittings because they seal on the flare not the threads and be sure to use a flare nut wrench or tubing wrench so you don't warp the fittings.

bronco69drp

Loc.
Cordova TN(memphis)
i had the same problem with my flared brake lines. :cry: i used a double flare kit. i found that i was making the flare too flat. i found for a good flare all i needed to do after first step of setting up the double flare is to use less pressure on the cone die during the final flare process. ;D all you need is a good flare shape you do not have to crank down on the die with much pressure at all. :D
oh and do not forget to debur.;)

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Hi: Just a note, you shouldn't need sealant on those fittings because they seal on the flare not the threads and be sure to use a flare nut wrench or tubing wrench so you don't warp the fittings.

X2 on this they are designed to seal at the flare

OP
OP

69Sport

Loc.
ST. Louis
Thanks

Thanks for the help, I reworked a few of the lines and replaced two lines and so far we have cleared up almost every leak. Thanks 69sport

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
One of the last calipers I installed had a leak at the copper washer I changed the washer and finnally stopped it

OP
OP

69Sport

Loc.
ST. Louis
Thanks

It was the best day, pretty much all of the leaks have been stopped, and my boy and I took it out of the garage for the first time in 3 years. It was the BEST. The brakes were not the best and we had a few leaks and a couple of fuses were blown, but nothing could replace that look on his face. Bronco's and kids make the world go round. 69sport