• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Limited slip pulls hard left

Cheeop

Loc.
St. Louis
Just had new gears, chromo axles, and a yukon duragrip installed in my dana 44 front housing and this thing pulls hard to the left now in 4wd under normal driving in a straight line wether I'm on the gas or coasting. Is this normal?

It's also much harder to turn in 4wd than I expected it would be when coasting

Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did you use the correct gear lube and/or limited-slip additive?

Did you do anything else at the same time? Such as adding a lift kit or other steering modifications perhaps?

And are you driving it in 4wd only on loose or slippery surfaces, or hard-pack or pavement? If the latter, how much are you driving it on the dry hard stuff?
While it might not normally pull even on hard pack, it's not going to be happy either.

What about air pressure in the tires? Any chance one of them could be low on air and not easily visible?

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
First and free thing to do, swap tires side to side.

Also have to ask, do you have a matched set of tires. brand/model/size? wear side to side (not so worried about wear front to rear).

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Who else has reported their experiences with that particular LS model? I've heard it is very aggressive for a limited slip. If it is particularly so, then it will interfere with turning, degree of that interference depending on the surface that tires are on. Heck, the shimmed Trac Loc in the front of one of my Broncos interfered mightily with steering.

Not sure about the pulling to one direction though..

OP
OP
Cheeop

Cheeop

Loc.
St. Louis
brand new tires. it has been lifted but I drove it for a month with the lift before the LS and it didn't pull in 4wd and It doesn't pull at all in 2wd now so I'm ruling out steering, tires, air pressure, brakes, etc. that would effect it either way.

i didn't do the install, it was done by a local race shop with a great reputation but i didn't ask what kind of LS additive they used. i'll be calling them today.

I was driving it on wet concrete just around my neighborhood at slow speeds to break in the new front ring and pinion. maybe drove it a mile. I quit driving it because i didn't want to do any damage if something was really wrong.

PaveBronco

Have you looked at the right side hub to make sure its locked and not free spinning..

OP
OP
Cheeop

Cheeop

Loc.
St. Louis
yes, hubs are working and both locked. also i just took it for a short drive again at the request of the speed shop. 2wd drives fine no issues, 2wd with hubs locked it pulls noticeably to the left and is harder to turn right than left, 4wd with hubs locked it pulls hard to the left and is even more difficult to turn right.

4.56 r&p

Last edited:

BroncoDawg

Loc.
Bishop, CA
SSSStrange? Since doesn't do it in 2 wheel, can't be bearings or brakes, so it might be in the hub or could the limited slip be dragging?

OP
OP
Cheeop

Cheeop

Loc.
St. Louis
yeah, I'm lost, its going back to the shop tomorrow. I thought same thing about LS dragging possibly allowing one axle to turn easier than the other?

i don't know if this is related since it drives fine in 2wd with no pull either direction but just the front passenger wheel/tire seems to be noticeably off camber in positive direction now which I'll also be taking up with the shop.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Unlock the hubs and leave the front side of the tcase disengaged. Spin the front driveshaft and see if both front axles turn the same speed and direction. It should be very easy to turn the driveshaft like this.

OP
OP
Cheeop

Cheeop

Loc.
St. Louis
Unlock the hubs and leave the front side of the tcase disengaged. Spin the front driveshaft and see if both front axles turn the same speed and direction. It should be very easy to turn the driveshaft like this.

good idea, I'll give that a try later today when i get back home and can get it up on stands. if one side is slower or if it's difficult to turn that would mean the LS is not working properly correct?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
good idea, I'll give that a try later today when i get back home and can get it up on stands. if one side is slower or if it's difficult to turn that would mean the LS is not working properly correct?

Correct. With no load at the axles it should want to keep the clutches locked up and spider gears shouldn't turn. If it's hard to turn like this I would suspect one of the side bearings is bad or the diff could be contacting the housing somewhere.

PaveBronco

yeah, I'm lost, its going back to the shop tomorrow. I thought same thing about LS dragging possibly allowing one axle to turn easier than the other?

i don't know if this is related since it drives fine in 2wd with no pull either direction but just the front passenger wheel/tire seems to be noticeably off camber in positive direction now which I'll also be taking up with the shop.

They may have jacked something up in the spindle area when it was put back together.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I've had a power-lok limited slip (strongest on the market) in the front of my F150 for years and I can drive it around in 4WD just fine. Check your tire pressures - steering is noticeably harder with the front L/S

dsg40th

Loc.
Southern Maine
I've seen frozen and /or bound up axle shaft ujoints act very muck like you discribe. Were the axle shaft joints replaced as well? It's possible they knocked a needle down into one of the ujoint caps and drove the cap home in the press binding up free movement of the axle joint.