• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Longterm DIY Bedliner Report

chris

No more Rock Crawler
5 years on my Durabak liner and still holding up good.

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
The stuff I used on my trailer was the LINER X-TREEME, recommended to me by Nick (nicks trix) and found on Ebay. The seller is a great guy, and the product has held up great. The trailer has made a couple of trips to Baja, and hauled the racer around for a couple of years now and it still looks like it did when I sprayed it on. I honestly couldn't be more pleased.

here's the original thread from 2 yrs ago..

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88005&highlight=trailer+bedliner

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Dennis,

I had my tub media blasted and primed it with epoxy, seam sealed, and shot the bottom with tinted UPOL Raptor. I thinned it 10% which is the max recomended. I did it for noise reduction and corrosion protection. Looks real nice and is not a rough texture. I'm not going to apply it to the top side. The tub is in very nice condition and I dont want to hide that. I'll just use a good polyurethate paint. I picked up the Raptor at Speedway Automotive.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
My turn...I used Gator Guard ..real diy...I rolled it on my 1/2 cab top & in the bed ...on the inside of the cab after I patched my floors.. It has held it color "black" real well for 5 years now ..On other parts of my Bronco I used Plasticoat spray can Bed liner on the Grill..front bumper..rear bumper..side mirrors they where chrome and sand blasted but they have a few peels on them...My rocker panels...The center raised area of the hood ..And my white spoke 16 in wheels are now black with the spray can plasticoat ...It looks good but after 5 years it is more faded than my gator guard...Some one ask last week if I'd recoated my top lately because it was so black...
...Now my 2000 dodge deseisl truck has a spray in Rhino I think it is almost gray now ..So I'm proud of my Gator Guard...

OP
OP
D

dnewman9

Bronco Guru
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I am planning on doing my interior, inner fenders up to the top of the firewall and underside. I still plan on wrapping or painting the body. I am thinking of doing the sand blast route now as it may make it much easier as my inner fenders have surface rust and would be a pain to wire wheel.

I am glad to hear at least SEM, Gator Guard, LinerXtreem and others are holding up. I was not going to do the durabak or herculiner anyway, but I hear mixed results on those.
Thanks
Dennis

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Since you used the word wrapping the body ..my body has the camo wrap on it I taped about 1/4 over on the wrap and sprayed over the edge of the wrap to further water proof the edge it has worked also ..
Disreguard if you only meant mask it off to paint it ..

OP
OP
D

dnewman9

Bronco Guru
Since you used the word wrapping the body ..my body has the camo wrap on it I taped about 1/4 over on the wrap and sprayed over the edge of the wrap to further water proof the edge it has worked also ..
Disreguard if you only meant mask it off to paint it ..

Nope, You were right on, I was thinking of a desert or digital camo wrap on the truck. I am not sure how hot I am on that right now but its still an option.
Dennis

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
The stuff I used on my trailer was the LINER X-TREEME, recommended to me by Nick (nicks trix) and found on Ebay. The seller is a great guy, and the product has held up great. The trailer has made a couple of trips to Baja, and hauled the racer around for a couple of years now and it still looks like it did when I sprayed it on. I honestly couldn't be more pleased.

here's the original thread from 2 yrs ago..

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88005&highlight=trailer+bedliner

let me chime in on what scott said. i came a cross the product on xtreem ebay and figured for the price i'll try it.
once it came i tried some test panels. the way you are to put the ground up rubber bits in it i felt it was too gritty & was too runny for under the truck for me. i thought it would be fine for a trailer rather than a bronco. i am not a fan of the skin shredder liners like many of the DIY are. i prefer a smoother texture. that's just my taste. i wanted something that didn't hurt you & would wash easily. i've seen scotts trailer and it looks great.perfect for that application, he & his boys did a great job on it.
i just had my body shop redo my car hauler and they used Upol on it. it's got a nice look & texture. we just hauled a big heavy peice of euquiptment on a pallet and it did wear through in a rub spot (pallet against a side). i have extra liner left over that i think i'll touch up with. i'm pleased with that product for it's purpose.
for the bronco i am sold on the SEM. it's 2x the price of Upol but i love the results of it.
i think it comes down to what texture, look & what you can afford.
i think the key though is really in the surface prep for a big part of the durability.

for those that have a rhino liner that has fadded, i found a product from my local linex dealer that is a UV dye that works great. rub it on and it recolors the material. it's about 45 a pt. that will do a whole interior easily.

Attachments

• DSC04690.JPG
    DSC04690.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC03493.JPG
    DSC03493.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 34

dieselracer

Loc.
Citrus Heights, CA
I got line-x done in my Diesel pick-up and when I paid they warned me that brake fluid would destroy the liner. It has been royally abused over the last 4 years and is still holding up. I was thinking about a DIY kit, but after hearing everybodys comments maybe professional is the only way to go.