• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lost compression - need ideas

OP
OP
C

centex77

Got it all put back together. Went to fire it. Battery was nearly dead. Had to leave before we got enough charge to crank it again. Aggravating as hell. It'll probably be a couple of weeks before I get back on it.

Shop is convinced it's the bottom end. Nothing I've seen says there is anything wrong but the ultra rich carb and arcing coil. If it is in fact the bottom end, I can get a 347 stroker for $2500 that'll work with my heads and cam. Of course I'd have to replace the clutch at that point. Or TRE can build me a 306 for the same price. But if you gotta buy new you might as well go bigger right?

1977 Ford Bronco/Fiberglass Body/302 bored .030/balanced/Twisted Wedge aluminum heads/cam/5spd/Locked w/ 4.10’s/35” BFG/4” suspension/3” body

36Fan

Contributor
If they think the bottom end is coming apart, cut open the oil filter and look for bearing material etc.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Sounds like a needle and seat got stuck open and they tried to adjust it instead of fixing it. Raw fuel washed through the engine and took out the rings. If there is so much fuel in the oil the level is up, and it came through the carb, it was doing a real good job of removing any oil on the cylinder walls as the engine was running.

OP
OP
C

centex77

If they think the bottom end is coming apart, cut open the oil filter and look for bearing material etc.

We drained the oil because it was so thin and didn't see anything in it. Need to cut open the filter though and inspect it. Good thought.

Sounds like a needle and seat got stuck open and they tried to adjust it instead of fixing it. Raw fuel washed through the engine and took out the rings. If there is so much fuel in the oil the level is up, and it came through the carb, it was doing a real good job of removing any oil on the cylinder walls as the engine was running.

That's our thoughts as well. That problem contributed to the low compression followed by the arcing coil causing the break up at higher rpm's. I'm not going to say the shop is wrong in that something is hurt but until I get these other problems fixed I can't say for certain.

OP
OP
C

centex77

Normally, yes. But not this time.
6385805330c3226062d8e3b609873cf6.jpg

1977 Ford Bronco/Fiberglass Body/302 bored .030/balanced/Twisted Wedge aluminum heads/cam/5spd/Locked w/ 4.10’s/35” BFG/4” suspension/3” body

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That just looks like a carbon trace. Could be that it was easier to build that carbon trace and arc out. But if that is a crack, I would think someone may have dropped it at some time.

OP
OP
C

centex77

I can grab it with my nail and it doesn't come off but I also didn't see anything on the inside. Who knows. Either way it's been replaced.

OP
OP
C

centex77

New coil, new float bowl, lower fuel pressure, and timing adjusted. Thing fires off and runs like a champ. No more popping or sputtering or anything. Still got some gremlins to work out but looks like we are on the right path now.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Being on the right path sounds good!
Glad it's running.

Paul