• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

lost ignition key

dash8mx

Like a moron i lost the only ignition key for my truck. I had tied to get a new one a few times but they didin't have one to match it. Is there any way to get the old lock cylinder out without the key? Only problem is we close on our house on thursday and i must move truck by then. Thanks william (idiot in va)

edjolly

Loc.
Denver Colorado
Don't know about pulling the core without the key, you've got to turn the thing to ACC to expose the pin.<br>You could always just pull the connector off the back and hotwire the thing to move it, just connect the run (resistor) wire terminal and the accessory wire (unsure about the color, but it ain't the dual red/black wires-those are the start circuit) to the batt (yellow) terminal.<br>Then get under the hood and jump from the S terminal to the hotwire on the starter relay and the thing will start. Don't leave that last jumped, just until it starts.<br><br>OR, you could get a locksmith or a buddy with some picks out<br><br>OR, you could just drill out the core and start it with a screwdriver, then get a new core. Cheap.<br><br>Ed<br>

OP
OP
D

dash8mx

I am interested in any info on drilling out the old core, as in what to look out for or beware of. Thanks william in va

ponch0v

slide hammer the tumbler out , which will destroy the ignition switch. then replace the ignition switch and tumble with new. or call a lock smith to come out and pick the lock. prices may be just about the same.

Broncmeister

Does anybody know if Ford still has the key codes on file? I lost my keys to my trans am once, and got the key codes from GM. Took them into a key making place and voila, I was driving in an hour.

jasondemitri

Loc.
tacoma, wa
i just did this yesterday on a spare dash im working on. it wasn't very nice, but a screw driver and a hammer worked for me. i was just careful to not dent the dash, but the ignition tumbler and switch were detroyed.

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
[quote author=dash8mx link=board=5;threadid=10598;start=0#77349 date=1035648638]<br>I am interested in any info on drilling out the old core, as in what to look out for or beware of. Thanks william in va<br>[/quote] If you drill don't go all the way in. Just drill enough to remove the key lock cylinder and you'll save the switch. Drill towards the top of the slot of the keyhole and use any old key to do the removal process.