• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Loud Exhaust ?

coupe66

Loc.
Cedar Park Tx
I am wanting to change my exhaust on my bronco that I just got on the road . I am currently running a homebuilt 2 into 1 with mandrel bent 2 1/2 pipe into a Stainless Magnaflow and out with a 3 inch tailpipe . Even though in looks cool and looks clean it to loud for just cruising around town . Between running a softtop without windows and the exhaust I cant hear the radio or my two boys unless I am at a stoplight or going real slow . What kind of setups have you guys had good luck with as far as being reasonably quiet :-X
Also I am running shorty headers that I do want to keep they are early 65-66 mustang headers . I thought about just welding in some cheap Turbo mufflers and going with two 2 1/2 in tailpipes . What do you guys think ?
Thanks Robert
Cedar Park Tx

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Looks to me that you have plenty room for a longer muffler. The longer the quieter. You could also install a long factory pickup muffler. They would flow enough and be quiet as well.

NoJoe

Loc.
san jacinto,ca.
Summit Racing has cone shaped inserts that go in your header collector that I think are made out of stainless steel.:cool:

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
My 67 has stock manifolds and dual 2" pipes into imitation turbo mufflers and it sounds great when you hit it but when you are crusing it is pretty quiet. I put the same step up on my 73 with headers and I think it is even softer sounding than my 67. Another advantage is the small pipes and mufflers let you keep the exhaust tucked up tight so there is no ripping things off on the trail. And the smaller pipe is cheaper. Most small block ford motors dont need huge exhaust to breath right a little back pressure is good.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
All the oversize 2 to 1 exhaust systems I've seen with, Flowmaster or Magnaflow mufflers, have been too loud for my taste. I went dual Magnaflows on Hooker headers with an "H" pipe in front of the mufflers. It's got a nice header ring but is practically stock quiet even when standing on it.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I am running the longest SS Magnaflow I could find. I made a y-pipe before the muffler, its pretty quiet. I mean if you get on it, you can hear it, but you can have a conversation at normal cruising. It sounds healthy...there are a few times I have thought I should have gone smaller (more growl), but mostly I like it a little more on the quiet side, you can still hear it for sure...but its at a manageable level.

Consider adding a second muffler right in front of the one you have to do the same thing...looks like you so have the room.

Flowmasters are too loud--for what I wanted this go-around. They do have a nice sound. With my Magnaflow setup it doesnt really growl until 2-2.5K rpm...which is fine.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just in case it comes up, don't go with a single Gibson either. Great setup, in the right application, but in a single 2.5" on an EB it's too loud. Great sound mind you, but too loud for casual use.
I just thought I'd mention that as, even though not many use Gibson, they've got a good rep (deservedly so) and someone might want to try one out.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Got a couple of buddies with just the right Flowmaster setups. Not loud at all. In fact, much quieter than any of us expected, but with that clean rumbly sound typical of the Flows.

Paul

OP
OP
coupe66

coupe66

Loc.
Cedar Park Tx
Got a couple of buddies with just the right Flowmaster setups. Not loud at all. In fact, much quieter than any of us expected, but with that clean rumbly sound typical of the Flows.

Paul

I have been thinking abought going with two 3 chamber flowmasters and out with two pipes out all the way on one side .I have two Flowmasters I took off a 86 GT mustang that are like brand new . Before I parted out the wrecked mustang it was running and it was pretty quiet but it did have the stock H pipe with the factory cats on it .Not sure how much that effects the sound on a Mustang . I just dont want to spend alot of time redoing it and its still to loud . Much less spend another $ 100.00 + on a new but longer Magnaflow muffler . The one I have now probably doesnt have more than a hundred miles I bought it from BC broncos and paid another $ 75.00 for a 3 inch tailpipe . I met a guy here locally that is on Classic broncos and heard his rig that has dual exhaust with turbo mufflers and it sounds great but I dont want to redo the whole exhaust just trying to use as much as possible of what I allready have .
Thanks for all the ideas .:cool:

OP
OP
coupe66

coupe66

Loc.
Cedar Park Tx

Bronc76

I'm currently running a 3" exhaust with a single cat and no muffler, its still a little loud but has a deep tone to it.

Bronc76

coupe- i see you are running shorty headers from 65-66 mustang. was there any problems installing them or any fabrication. I'm sure you had a custom Y-pipe made. I cant find any shorty headers for the EB anywhere.

OP
OP
coupe66

coupe66

Loc.
Cedar Park Tx
coupe- i see you are running shorty headers from 65-66 mustang. was there any problems installing them or any fabrication. I'm sure you had a custom Y-pipe made. I cant find any shorty headers for the EB anywhere.

Probably the biggest thing with using 65-66 mustang headers is that you have to run at least a 1 in body lift . But other than that any muffler shop should be able to bend your exhaust pipe from them to whereever youwant . I used seperate mandrel bent pieces and made my own exhaust except the 3 inch tailpipe . The headers are by Headman you can get from Summit for around $ 150.00 and now they come with ball & flange ends so you dont have to mess with those gaskets that always leak . I will post up some pictures of the headers and the pipe .

TXHusker

Loc.
Edmond, OK
I am running Hooker Areo Chambers on my 74. I couldn't be happier with them.
I run a bikini top, with 31x10.50 tires. The road noise is greater than the muffler noise on the highway. In town I would think the only option to correct what you're describing, IMO, would be stock mufflers. I'm not an expert, but I've heard the Magnaflow, Flowmaster, etc. and I think these are not as loud, and maybe cheaper.

Hooker Areo Chamber from Summit

OP
OP
coupe66

coupe66

Loc.
Cedar Park Tx
cats do tend to quiet down an exhaust down a bit. but look what you'd spend putting them on, and have more restriction. better off with a good muffler and an exhaust insert like this;

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...&N=700+4294923429+4294865405+115&autoview=sku

Well I took off my muffler and tailpipe and mocked up the two flowmasters side by side and I figured out two things one there isnt enough room for them between the driveshaft and the inside of the frame amd I started it up even though it was without any tailpipes and I could tell it was still going to be pretty loud .
73stallion have you ever used the inserts you aretalking about or know somebody who has ? I am thinking about giving them a try .