• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lowering windshield advice?

texk

Loc.
Franklin
I am installing new wiper motors on my '68 and I have resigned myself to the fact that I need to fold down the windshield to run the wiring like I want it. I would bet that it has not been folded down in a long time - if ever - and although it doesn't appear to be very rusty, I have been soaking the piano hinge in Kroil for a few days to be safe. My questions for the experienced folks here are:
1) Do I have to remove, or at least lift, the top to fold the windshield down?
2) What can I expect to have to do to the seals, assuming they are original? I would like to have the obvious ones on hand.(top to bed?, windshield frame to top?, etc.)

BTW, this is all stock and I want to keep it that way. Getting rid of the vacuum wipers is my one concession - so far.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
Just out of curiosity why are you laying the windshield down to run the wiring ? Are you going to run it inside the windshield frame from wiper motor to wiper motor or are you just concerned about running the wiring vertically inside the frame from bottom to top in basically the same location as the old wiper motor vacuum lines ?

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
yes you need to lift the top slightly.
seal should be fine. just clean it and put it back in.
don't forget to unscrew the bolt or knobs in the dash. those can be tough if never been out before.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
if you really want to fold the windshield you will have to raise the front of the top because the windshield goes up before it goes forward. How good is the paint at the hinge area? If the hinge has been repainted it is likely to peel the paint on the hinge when the hood is folded down. The windshield hinge area is a high rust area in some trucks and if weakened you may do more damage than good and open up a can of worms. If it was my truck I would tape off the hinge area and spray WD-40 and let it soak in for a fair amount of time. If the window has never been down before it will take a little working it back and forth to free it up. WD-40 usually doesnt harm paint but it is still a risk you are taking.

OP
OP
T

texk

Loc.
Franklin
SHX669, I do want to run the wires through the vertical part of the frame which would be easy enough if the old vacuum lines were still in place.

B RON CO, I believe you that the wire can be snaked but I'll be danged if I have been able to make that turn where the vertical meets the horizontal. I would welcome some advice. I have tried it with no beer, some beer, and copious amounts of beer with no success.

1971lubr

Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
I used a shopvac to suck paracord down the frame and aroundthe 90° bend, then pulled the wire loom through taped to the cord. Worked slick as whale snot.

jcasey12

One other thought: if you do end up lowering the windshield, be very careful to not crack the glass. If the windshield is binding at all that can result----don't ask how I know!

OP
OP
T

texk

Loc.
Franklin
1971lubr, I have both shop vac and paracord so I will give it a try. Did you pull the wire loom through and then run the wires through it? Was it the mesh wire loom?

Also, in TX we say "slicker than snot on a door knob". Any idea how that compares to whale snot in relative slickness?

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I used a shopvac to suck paracord down the frame and aroundthe 90° bend, then pulled the wire loom through taped to the cord. Worked slick as whale snot.

Ok that id brilliant.

I would not lower the windshield if I did not have to because it usually takes he paint right off the hinge and looks like crap.

1971lubr

Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
1971lubr, I have both shop vac and paracord so I will give it a try. Did you pull the wire loom through and then run the wires through it? Was it the mesh wire loom?

Also, in TX we say "slicker than snot on a door knob". Any idea how that compares to whale snot in relative slickness?

My bundle is taped with the loom only on the exterior of the frame. I made the loom long and did push into both ends of the frame an inch or so. A mesh loom or shrink tubing should make the bend though. Just go slow and push the wire while equally pulling the paracord.

My dash and pad were out at the time, which probably made it so easy for me.

Last edited:

1971lubr

Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
Ok that id brilliant.

I would not lower the windshield if I did not have to because it usually takes he paint right off the hinge and looks like crap.

I can't take credit for the brilliance. I read that little trick in another thread and it helped me a lot. Just want to pass it on.