• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Man I hate rattles & squeaks!!

OP
OP
DJs74

DJs74

Bronco Guru
Take a couple of quick pics of a couple of the mounts and we can probably tell. If they look good, they probably are. My originals were already visibly crushed by 60k miles, but it had a hard early life off road too.
Still kind of hard to imagine originals being good after 40 years though. But hey, as we say, your results may vary. And some get lucky.

If they're all the same height, at about 3/4 to 1" if I remember, then you should probably keep looking for your squeak.

Paul

Paul, as always... thanks for your insight. I will try to get a couple of pics and post them. The Mrs. hit me with quite a list of "honey-dos" today so I haven't even had a chance to scratch. We are closing down the pool and all that jazz and she insisted everything (pump, etc) needs to come inside for the winter so I'm her slave today. I don't mind though - it was my Mrs. that handed over the checkbook and said "buy that Bronco and spend what you need to in order to get it right"
You gotta love that kind of woman!!! She even rides shotgun with her elbow on the door and works the CD player so we have retro tunes to match the ride

I got a really cool wife - we were married 26 years this past Wednesday and believe it or not (and I wouldn't lie), we still act like newlyweds most of the time.

Will post pics of mounts as soon as I can

DJs74

OP
OP
DJs74

DJs74

Bronco Guru
Take a couple of quick pics of a couple of the mounts and we can probably tell. If they look good, they probably are. My originals were already visibly crushed by 60k miles, but it had a hard early life off road too.
Still kind of hard to imagine originals being good after 40 years though. But hey, as we say, your results may vary. And some get lucky.

If they're all the same height, at about 3/4 to 1" if I remember, then you should probably keep looking for your squeak.

Paul

Paul - here are some pics. I couldn't get any of the rear ones because my engineered trailer hitch brackets are hiding them, so I got both front and both middle ones

thanks,

Attachments

• body mount driver front.jpg
    body mount driver front.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 35
  • body mount driver mid.jpg
    body mount driver mid.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 28
  • body mount pass front.jpg
    body mount pass front.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 31
  • body mount pass mid.jpg
    body mount pass mid.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 30

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They're actually in surprisingly good physical condition considering their age, but I'd have to say that from the looks of them, they're crushing down slightly. Not as bad as mine were (or a lot of others I've seen) but definitely down some.
Could definitely gain something back by renewing them, or going one step up.

I don't really imagine they're bad enough to cause much in the way of creaking, but if only one (especially near the seat) is letting go some of it's grip there is definitely the possibility of movement. And with movement, comes the possibility of noise. So you never know.

I'd keep looking with the help of the lovely young lady you share Bronco-enjoyment duties with before diving into a body mount restoration, but I'd put it on your list of things to get to eventually anyway.
Just because....

Great to hear you two love sharing Bronco-time together. And that the music is still playing.

Paul

drock

Looks like its time to add a WH 1inch Body Lift Kit, a great addition to any rig.

clarrance

Bronco Guru
Is your fuel tank stock or a 23 gallon. If you have the 23 gallon it presses against the floor. Check the tank strap for tightness.

OP
OP
DJs74

DJs74

Bronco Guru
Is your fuel tank stock or a 23 gallon. If you have the 23 gallon it presses against the floor. Check the tank strap for tightness.

The fuel tank in mine is a replacement factory style tank from Bronco Graveyard. It rests against 4 brackets that are bolted to the frame and have a contour (radius) to them. I also added 1/8" thick solid rubber isolators so the tank wouldn't be mounted metal to metal

thanks,

DJs74