• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

MEB Bronco Round Up *Pics Start on Page 26!*

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
Ya'll won't believe this.........the damn dog ate my lug nut, that's the only thing I can come up with as I can't find it anywhere, and he is bad about grabbing crap.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What a weekend. After two long days, the '76 is rolling again and even has a front bumper with a working winch. Still a lot to do yet though..%)

Almost had a show stopper. Took the American Racing wheels and 35" Procomp tires off my '78 and bolted them on the '76. WTF??...massive interference between the tierod ends and thw wheels..which of course wasnot noted until we moved the truck 10 feets and ground the ehck out of the rims and stripped all the wheel weights off. !@#$. The rims had been on my '69 EB (drum) for a long time and then on my '78.

Took a wheel off and measured 4" backspacing. Tried a 1/4" wheel spacer..no joy..still hard interference. Pulled one of the Ultra wheels off of Filly's '79..3.75" backspacing..and with the 1/4" spacer they 'just' cleared the tie rod ends. Soooo..the '76 is now sporting Filly's rims and tires (35" Cepeks) and her rig has the wheels and tires off of my '78. And I'm sick and tired of swapping wheels...

The '76 has 1-ton Chebby TREs..that added at least 1/4" of the requirement for the spacing I ended up needing.

The '76 drove great though. ;D Now on to the rest of the list..and at least I'm not in the position Jeff is..walking around behind my dog waiting for it to take a crap.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Same thing happened when i put mine on. Had to grind the knuckle down and use a spacer. Been like that for a couple years now with no problems

Fordfilly

Loc.
Ford Part Heaven
Yeah, I've been donating to this project from both my broncos. First my tires/rims off the '79 and the rear driveshaft and front custom fabbed bumper from my Flathead project '69 EB.....I guess this means that both my broncos will be wheeling at the Round-up at the same time. LOL

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Well, Sunday morning I decided to REPAINT my trail rig. (Can you say dumb-a$$ decision?) It's now in the garage still all masked up. :( Needless to say it did not get the proper sanding job it deserved. I am almost afraid to look at it in the sun! I may still be putting parts back on it up in Gore . . .

(All I can say is that it's going to look different!) ;D

cesco

front locker/gear install
make front and rear shock mounts DONE
track bar and steeringDONE
need to install the knuckles and all the brake stuff
run new brake linesDONE
needs a gas line and tank put inDONE
install rear axles (he had to pay saturday delivery to get them here)DONE
put in a really nice red cage (it's my old one)
weld beadlocks on wheels and mount the tiresDONE
install driveshafts
come up with a front bumper to mount his winchDONE
rear bumper is optional at this pointDONE
mount the passenger's seat
seat belts
plumb the steering and hydro stuffDONE
weld the rear quarter panel back on
put in the front grillDONE
cut out the fenders on the front
do something for an exhaust

:eek:
Well we put in a long weekend and have a ways to go yet. We were lucky to some friends stop by and give us a hand. Still have to put together the front end, someone forgot to order new axle seals so we moved onto other things on the list. hopefully after tonight, or early tomorrow morning it will be sitting on 4 tires. another major problem that I ran into yesterday was that it is important to put the nut on the brake line before you flare the line, I also found out that the nuts need to go on a specific way.;D any ways we wrote up another long list of things to be done last night. so we will be putting some late hours in this week.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, I've been donating to this project from both my broncos. First my tires/rims off the '79 and the rear driveshaft and front custom fabbed bumper from my Flathead project '69 EB.....

Did I remember to say 'thank you'?;D

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
Well, Sunday morning I decided to REPAINT my trail rig. (Can you say dumb-a$$ decision?) It's now in the garage still all masked up. :( Needless to say it did not get the proper sanding job it deserved. I am almost afraid to look at it in the sun! I may still be putting parts back on it up in Gore . . .

(All I can say is that it's going to look different!) ;D

From the way I've seen you drive, will the sanding job really make a diff after a day of wheeling? I swear I've never seen a straight panel on it.

OH, I "tried" to install my new inserts and soft doors from Mike, I really didn't think my rig was that sad. :eek: The inserts needed at least another inch to meet the body. I don't think I have a straight cross member left. I think this may be it's last trip. Hate to loose my A/C next year.

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
Almost had a show stopper. Took the American Racing wheels and 35" Procomp tires off my '78 and bolted them on the '76. WTF??...massive interference between the tierod ends and thw wheels..

Bill, you know the 76-77 knuckles are bad, I know you have a set of F150 or F250 knuckles laying around.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Bill, you know the 76-77 knuckles are bad, I know you have a set of F150 or F250 knuckles laying around.

I forgot about that issue..until I found the interference problem. %) All my other rigs are F-150 or F-250 outers..same with Filly's '69. However, stealing the rear driveshaft and the front bumper off her rig is one thing (she only wimpered a little..) ..but canabalizing the front axle might have been more than she could stand.;D

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What I got left:

1. Wiring and air line connection for the ARB pump.
2. Install fuel fill and canister filter and finish connecting fuel system up. Remove boat gas tank.
3. Rear bumper fab
4. seat belt install
5. Wire up CB and install antenna
6. Clean up and install front lockouts
&. Install side mirrors
9. Change oil and filter
10. fab front driveshaft and install

Not too shabby..compared to where it was when I started on it Friday..no axles, no brakes nor brake lines, no exhaust..no bumpers..

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
I gots no top! well i have a bikini, for the truck that is...

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My trail rig has a soft top but no doors..but its on a trailer too. The '76 is a half cab..so we should be good (a chance to find how many leaks its got too.;D )

Pearlcoat

Contributor
Bronco Guru
if you ain't scared i ain't scared!

We've had very few RU's without some rain during the course of 4 days. There will be a huge 40x60 tent for all the meals and raffle so come on!! As bmc69 said, the standard forecast around here is "chance of rain" each day, that way the weatherman is never wrong.