• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need quick help from C-4 transmission Guru's! PLEASE HELP

Jfly13

Loc.
Lockwood, Mo.
I am changing out my transmission and filter in my C-4 today, when I pulled of the filter there was two peices laying on top of the filter. It was a spring and a little peice of metal on the bottom of the spring. I don't think it is good to find random springs in your transmission. The C-4 runs and shifts fine, except for a little bit of hard shifting at slow speeds. The only other thing is does is slips a little when it is cold, but that is my fault. Dumb ass me thought the low band adjuster was the drain plug a couple of months ago. Needless to say I have not quite got that adjusted right yet.

Any ideas what this spring and part is for?

Does anyone know of the top of their head the amount of fluid that goes into the C-4

UPDATE
I have taken the pan back off to put the spring and plunger back in. I can't see any place to put this back in. I have also not been able to find any diagrams to show me where this goes. Please help, if I don't get this fixed I cannot go to FROSTBITE RUN next weekend!

Attachments

• DSC02436.JPG
    DSC02436.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

oh2bnok

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Olathe, KS
it goes up in the hole above the filter. I think it keeps the filter pushed down. I know thats where it goes but can't describe it exactly. Does that help? ATF is the fluid.

OP
OP
Jfly13

Jfly13

Loc.
Lockwood, Mo.
Hey guess what....broncos don't run very good when you don't put all of the parts back in! I just put everything back together ( minus the spring), filled it up and took it for a test drive. Right as I was pulling out a friend of mine was driving by who is a Toyota mechanic, I told him the story and he said he could not remember exactly how it went in, but it was needed. Without it, it either won't shift or it will shift really squirelly.......he was right.

Now that I know it is needed can anyone tell me where I might find a diagram showing me where this goes? Or if you know maybe you can tell me. Thanks.

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
On the filter you will see a small tab off to the passenger side. Just above the tab is a hole where the metal plunger and spring go in the valve body. Place the metal spike on the plunger into the spring and place them both into the hole with the plunger going in first. tighten everything back down.