• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Neutral Safety Switch

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How can I add a neutral safety switch to a converted automatic. The '74 used to have a stock 3 spd manuel tranny and someone put in an automatic from a '73. I can start the Bronco in any gear. Kinda scary! The tranny has the neutral safety switch pigtail coming up from it, but I have nowhere to hook it up under the hood to an original style plug. How can I tie into this to make it work?

Thanks Much,

Blue71

carnage351

Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
I am no expert, but here is how the neutal switch works on my 85 with a C6.

Basically the line from the ignition switch goes to the neutal safty switch and then to the solenoid. The switch is on the shifter shaft the comes out of the tranny and is also the backup light switch.

Hope this helps a little, I am not sure how it works on your old C4 though.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
You are going to have to break out some wiring diagrams and figure out where you need to break the "S" wire that goes to the starter solenoid. On neutral switch pigtail, there are four wires. Two of those control the reverse lights, I believe. The other two basically interupt the start circuit from the key when the gearshift lever is in anything other than "P" or "N". This really shouldn't be too hard to figure out if you have wiring diagrams and some knowledge of how to read them. I would need to look at wire colors and a diagram to help you out, and I don't have a manual for the Bronco.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I beilve you can wire your switch into the red/blue striped wire going into the starter solinoid you should have 2 red/blue striped wires coming out of the neutral safety switch for the back up lites locate the black/red striped wire and splice that into your switches black and white wires

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I don't know about your earlier model but my 77 was a simple plug in. The stock 3 on the tree had a harness on the column for the back up lights that went through the firewall before a connection. I just unplugged it there and plugged in the harness from the c4 neutral safety switch. I did the adjust with the pin and now it only starts in park or neutral.