• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Bronco - press conf from Ford

OX1

Bronco Guru
I like a naturally aspirated car just as much as the next guy, but you can’t deny the advantage of having boost. Especially superchargers, when done right.

A roots yes, but even tiny turbos still have lag. Datalogged over a second to reach full boost on the 2.7 in my Fusion (yes, pretty good by turbo stds, but an eternity compared to big V-8 without electronic throttle control, that many of us are used to in our current hard core broncs). Many times hard core rock crawling, a second after you really needed the power is way too late. It's also not even close to linear.

Boost also means premium if you are pushing it and/or tuning it. I'm not a Chebby guy, but had no choice in my boat. Opted for the 496 back in 2001, run on reg the entire time. Still GPS's 63 MPH, just like it did new. No issue until this year, and that was HP fuel pump. Engine still like new after 350 hours.

Not even sure I'd want a coyote in a new bronco, will probably buy a beater or wreck and drop in a new 7.3, someday. Jeep has the right idea if that is how they are going. 400 cubes with 400ish ultra reliable HP on reg to start, and then double that, if you really need to add boost (and all the complexities that go with it).

Last edited:

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
A roots yes, but even tiny turbos still have lag. Datalogged over a second to reach full boost on the 2.7 in my Fusion (yes, pretty good by turbo stds, but an eternity compared to big V-8 without electronic throttle control, that many of us are used to in our current hard core broncs). Many times hard core rock crawling, a second after you really needed the power is way too late. It's also not even close to linear.

Boost also means premium if you are pushing it and/or tuning it. I'm not a Chebby guy, but had no choice in my boat. Opted for the 496 back in 2001, run on reg the entire time. Still GPS's 63 MPH, just like it did new. No issue until this year, and that was HP fuel pump. Engine still like new after 350 hours.

Not even sure I'd want a coyote in a new bronco, will probably buy a beater or wreck and drop in a new 7.3, someday. Jeep has the right idea if that is how they are going. 400 cubes with 400ish ultra reliable HP on reg to start, and then double that, if you really need to add boost (and all the complexities that go with it).

Unfortunately, you are focusing on a very niche segment (hardcore rock crawling) that Ford doesn’t seem worried about given the overall design of the new Bronco. With that said, I think the turbo will fit into how they plan to market it -desert racing, hill climbing, mall crawler mobile.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Having spend most of my life doing hard core rock, been involved in the competition scene since 1999. I'm not worried about the turbo motors at all, it just requires a little different driving style.

LSharpNM

Unfortunately, you are focusing on a very niche segment (hardcore rock crawling) that Ford doesn’t seem worried about given the overall design of the new Bronco. With that said, I think the turbo will fit into how they plan to market it -desert racing, hill climbing, mall crawler mobile.

The thing you have to keep in mind though is that Ford subsidizes their Ecoboost engines with respect to their naturally aspirated equivalents, and I suspect the big three all subsidize their half ton diesel offerings as well, in order to incentivize people to buy the engines that benefit their CAFE ratings.

Look at the F150 engine option costs to see what I am talking about. A naturally aspirated V8 should be significantly cheaper to produce than a twin turbo V6 and all its related hardware, yet Ford charges a premium for the 5.0L to disincentivize people from buying them, and so far, it seems to be working pretty well for Ford. From the testing I have seen, the 5.0L hangs pretty well with the Ecoboost engines and actually gets better fuel economy under heavy load (which the EPA doesn't test for).

Assuming Ford wasn't playing price games, the 5.0L would be cheaper than the 2.7L, make significantly more horsepower, have much more off-idle torque (super important off road), weigh about the same, get close to the same real world fuel economy, run just fine on regular in hot weather at full load, be simpler and cheaper/easier to maintain in the long run. Also, engines with lower specific outputs are much less stressed, and tend to have much better longevity than an equivalent engine with a higher specific output. Higher specific power means higher cylinder pressures, which takes its toll on bearings, rings, pistons, head bolts and head gaskets. Why do you think Ford sells de-rated versions of the 7.3L gas and 6.7L diesel engines in their medium duty trucks versus their light duty trucks? The answer is Longevity. Why do you think Ford does not offer either the standard or high output versions of the 3.5L Ecoboost in the Superduty since according to Ford's marketing team, it is a better option than the 6.2L (which is also de-tuned in the Superduty versions the F150 application back when it was offered)?

I am by no means an Ecoboost hater, but it is just amazing what a great job Ford's marketing team has done convincing the general public that down-sized turbo engines are better in every way than a larger naturally aspirated engine. Turbo technology is nothing new, so why the recent push for down-sized turbo engines? It is because of the stringent CAFE standards that were rolled out during the Obama administration and are being phased in through 2025. Small turbo engines "game" the EPA test method and result in unrealistically high EPA ratings. Ecoboost engines typically fall well short of their EPA numbers in real world usage compared to naturally aspirated gas engines which are usually pretty close to their EPA ratings, and diesels which usually exceed their EPA ratings.

OX1

Bronco Guru
Having spend most of my life doing hard core rock, been involved in the competition scene since 1999. I'm not worried about the turbo motors at all, it just requires a little different driving style.

Hopefully they have taken care of the on/off/on throttle/boost confusion that I can induce once every month or two, that leads to almost 4 seconds of what feels like a zero boost situation.

Seems to happen cruising on 4 lane lets say, see an opening, hit go, then look over and think you see someone maybe jumping over into that spot you were going to take, so you back out almost completely. Then realize yes, you can go and you get NADA! Talking very quick large throttle changes.

I know part of the strategy of Eco's building boost so fast is to sometimes briefly close the throttle 100%, even though you are commanding high throttle. Not sure how many drive even a Sporty Fusion like I described above, but can I see doing that exact thing bumping over multiple ledges, when you on moss/leaf/mud covered trails like we are on most of the time.

Jambi

Contributor
I am by no means an Ecoboost hater, but it is just amazing what a great job Ford's marketing team has done convincing the general public that down-sized turbo engines are better in every way than a larger naturally aspirated engine. Turbo technology is nothing new, so why the recent push for down-sized turbo engines? It is because of the stringent CAFE standards that were rolled out during the Obama administration and are being phased in through 2025. Small turbo engines "game" the EPA test method and result in unrealistically high EPA ratings. Ecoboost engines typically fall well short of their EPA numbers in real world usage compared to naturally aspirated gas engines which are usually pretty close to their EPA ratings, and diesels which usually exceed their EPA ratings.

I was all about the naturally aspirated 5.0L until last summer when I used my 2013 F150 FX4 5.0L to tow a 3700lb camper up 6-8% mountain grades at elevation. I was so disappointed in my truck's towing performance that after that first camping trip of last summer (and first with that particular camper), I started looking at Ecoboost F150s because I had heard the twin turbos really help with towing performance particularly at the high elevations we have here in Colorado. I ended up trading in my 2013 FX4 for a 2019 Ecoboost F150 with 10 spd trans and the difference in towing compared to the 5.0L is amazing. Pulling the 3700lb camper up and over steep mountain passes seems to require much less effort and I can get up to speed much quicker with the Ecoboost than I could with the 5.0L.

LSharpNM

I was all about the naturally aspirated 5.0L until last summer when I used my 2013 F150 FX4 5.0L to tow a 3700lb camper up 6-8% mountain grades at elevation. I was so disappointed in my truck's towing performance that after that first camping trip of last summer (and first with that particular camper), I started looking at Ecoboost F150s because I had heard the twin turbos really help with towing performance particularly at the high elevations we have here in Colorado. I ended up trading in my 2013 FX4 for a 2019 Ecoboost F150 with 10 spd trans and the difference in towing compared to the 5.0L is amazing. Pulling the 3700lb camper up and over steep mountain passes seems to require much less effort and I can get up to speed much quicker with the Ecoboost than I could with the 5.0L.

You are comparing apples and oranges there. The 10 speed makes a huge difference towing not to mention both the 5.0L and Ecoboost engines (2.7L & 3.5L) have had power upgrades since 2013. I have a hard time believing that your 5.0L had undue difficulty towing 3,700 Lbs on a 6-8% grades seeing as my father's wheezy 2V 5.4L F250 can pull that weight no problem with a 4R100. Also, TFL did a tow test between a 2018 3.5L Ecoboost and a 5.0L pulling 8,900Lbs up Eisenhauer pass, and the 5.0L was able to hang and get better fuel economy doing it. There are a lot of things that bug me about the TFL guys, but they do some of the best towing tests. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8CafR1YxqE

Last edited:

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
Some fresh leaks, I like a lot but I can't figure out the door. Is there glass there?

bd9423708cc294efcf8d1351d5f2d236.jpg
45a48f9685107a408263c119c8828b89.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
907 days since this thread was created, 2500 plus post in this thread and it about to all come true.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Lawndart

Loc.
At least the 2-door revealed is properly orange :cool:

Edit - needs white top, grill, etc

Last edited:

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Ford u tube worked for me. The long version of reveal

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200713-190856_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20200713-190856_YouTube.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 73

mebco09

What are they trying to do, make a truck for the rock climbing community. Lots of customers there....Stupid commercials

How about some diversity!

MrT

I watched a detailed look at them o. youtube. I had to go look for it. It looks great. 2.7 and 3.5 10 speed auto or 7 speed manual with creeper gear. Weird you can only get 3.5 with auto. It said more travel than a Wrangler and 35's available.

Dlish

I watched a detailed look at them o. youtube. I had to go look for it. It looks great. 2.7 and 3.5 10 speed auto or 7 speed manual with creeper gear. Weird you can only get 3.5 with auto. It said more travel than a Wrangler and 35's available.

Looks like you can't get the manual tranny with the larger motor. That blows.
Ill wait for the V8 and manual trans swap