• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Fuel Tank Design

How important is capacity to you?

• 17 gallons is good enough

Votes: 20 10.3%
  • 18-20 gallons is better

Votes: 103 53.1%
  • 23 gallons is preferred

Votes: 50 25.8%
  • 23 gallons is not enough

Votes: 21 10.8%

• Total voters

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Lick Creek Restorations is extremely busy. A lot of great new products are coming out as a result of being silent.

The plan and goal is to have some great new products at Super Celebration East in Townsend, TN the third week of April this year. Some of these new products are also going to be available for cash & carry at the Duff booth.

The new 20 gallon LCR stainless gas tank will be there with an optional black powder coated skid plate. You never know, may even be a few units available to purchase.
Mike,

Regardless of all the great new stuff nobody has ever heard about.......What is the status of the tank that you guys were supposed to be offering from Lick Creek?

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Bringing this thread back up.

Any updates on the production of this tank? I hope it's not dead in the water.
No, this is not dead in the water. Lots of testing and tweaking making sure it works with everything everyone is aware of that we are making and all of the new stuff they are not. We hope to have some for cash and carry at SCE in April.

Spaggyroe

No, this is not dead in the water. Lots of testing and tweaking making sure it works with everything everyone is aware of that we are making and all of the new stuff they are not. We hope to have some for cash and carry at SCE in April.

That's good to hear Tom. I'd be first in line but SCE is ~1800 miles away.

Can a guy get one shipped? Please shoot me a PM if that's possible and we'll work out payment.

My fuel system needs some help...

Thanks.

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
That's good to hear Tom. I'd be first in line but SCE is ~1800 miles away.

Can a guy get one shipped? Please shoot me a PM if that's possible and we'll work out payment.

My fuel system needs some help...

Thanks.
Im sure we can just as soon as they launch. We are hoping that SCE will be the official launch for them if everything keeps going as planned. We are awaiting the material to arrive any day so we can get them assembled right now. We have everything dialed in and tested, I don't think anyone will be disappointed and they will certainly be raising the bar a lot. We also have some other very cool stuff coming out as well and we are hopeful to have prototypes on display.

hsach

Contributor
Members Only
Im sure we can just as soon as they launch. We are hoping that SCE will be the official launch for them if everything keeps going as planned. We are awaiting the material to arrive any day so we can get them assembled right now. We have everything dialed in and tested, I don't think anyone will be disappointed and they will certainly be raising the bar a lot. We also have some other very cool stuff coming out as well and we are hopeful to have prototypes on display.
Sounds like taking way too long to get my bronco going paid off, lol. Hopefully by the time I need a fuel tank for my '67, you guys will have this out in the wild. I removed the auxiliary tanks and will only use a main so anything near 20 is great. Thanks for the update, and I will keep watching this thread for when they are released.

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I c
Sounds like taking way too long to get my bronco going paid off, lol. Hopefully by the time I need a fuel tank for my '67, you guys will have this out in the wild. I removed the auxiliary tanks and will only use a main so anything near 20 is great. Thanks for the update, and I will keep watching this thread for when they are released.
I can tell you I am also working on a new fuel line system to compliment everything. That will not be ready in time but it is in the works. Some of the other items we have been working on will really set the bar high. Lots of money spent, lots still to spend just in R&D but my focus is to make things simpler, easier and accommodate all of the Duff product line that we love so much as well as many of the other aftermarket and OE parts installations. It takes a lot of time and effort trying to plan and make things work for just as many platforms that we can.

hsach

Contributor
Members Only
I c

I can tell you I am also working on a new fuel line system to compliment everything. That will not be ready in time but it is in the works. Some of the other items we have been working on will really set the bar high. Lots of money spent, lots still to spend just in R&D but my focus is to make things simpler, easier and accommodate all of the Duff product line that we love so much as well as many of the other aftermarket and OE parts installations. It takes a lot of time and effort trying to plan and make things work for just as many platforms that we can.
Glad to hear about the fuel line system. I am not sure which way I am going yet, most likely carb since my wife likes this setup on my '78, and she just loves the smell of a carbed V8. I am hoping for a fuel system I can install that will be easily adjustable between carb and FI. Hopefully yours will accommodate both since I will probably change my mind 20 times. Too bad you are on the other side of the country, this stuff would be worth a drive to go see.

BruiserOutdoors

I c

Any insight on the fuel system (photos/description/etc....) would be nice to hear. Timing might be wrong for me, I may need these parts sooner than Duffs and Lick Creek can provide, unfortunately. I have been patiently waiting and dragging my feet on this part of my build in hopes to run this new system! fingers crossed still...

hossbronco

Contributor
Any insight on the fuel system (photos/description/etc....) would be nice to hear. Timing might be wrong for me, I may need these parts sooner than Duffs and Lick Creek can provide, unfortunately. I have been patiently waiting and dragging my feet on this part of my build in hopes to run this new system! fingers crossed still...
If you decide to go another direction, hit me up on my M1A1 first. I may be willing to sell at a decent discount if I end up liking the Lick Creek design better.

levib1

I also am patiently waiting for the Lick Creek fuel tank.

Please keep me on the mail order list for an immediate order.

Thanks,

Levi

trekgurl

Lets see,,,, if I put that 2K tank on my 6K bronco.......Holy Moly,,, that must be the tank for one of those $250K builds o_Oo_Oo_O. and I thought $600 for my 18gal aerotank was breath taking.

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
One thing I don't think anyone realized, myself included, was the drastic price increases we have seen in raw materials over the last year. One of the first things I mentioned when I set out to design this tank was to never make something on par with all of the other offerings out there, the market simply did not need more of the same. When I set out to develop this tank, I had specific goals in mind and I met all of them. It fixes all of the standing issues all of the other designs have, not saying they are wrong, but they could be a lot better and this tank does that. In doing so it certainly costs more to build because it takes more time with all of the features it has. I get that not everyone will be able to afford this tank, we tried our hardest to keep costs down were we could but I would not budge on quality and features to do so. Add to it that it is 100% made in America, assembled in Knoxville, TN at James Duff, Inc, we simply can not compete with off shore labor rates, and we don't want to. For those who are budget minded and this is out of your reach, it is OK, we get it. Just keep in mind, this tank does everything I set out for it to do that none of the others (and I have installed them all) can even come close to. I appreciate everyone who has taken the time to look at this tank, I am very proud of how it turned out. I am proud of the team effort between LCR and JDI have put into this to bring one of the best offerings to market that is purpose built and functionality driven.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
One thing I don't think anyone realized, myself included, was the drastic price increases we have seen in raw materials over the last year. One of the first things I mentioned when I set out to design this tank was to never make something on par with all of the other offerings out there, the market simply did not need more of the same. When I set out to develop this tank, I had specific goals in mind and I met all of them. It fixes all of the standing issues all of the other designs have, not saying they are wrong, but they could be a lot better and this tank does that. In doing so it certainly costs more to build because it takes more time with all of the features it has. I get that not everyone will be able to afford this tank, we tried our hardest to keep costs down were we could but I would not budge on quality and features to do so. Add to it that it is 100% made in America, assembled in Knoxville, TN at James Duff, Inc, we simply can not compete with off shore labor rates, and we don't want to. For those who are budget minded and this is out of your reach, it is OK, we get it. Just keep in mind, this tank does everything I set out for it to do that none of the others (and I have installed them all) can even come close to. I appreciate everyone who has taken the time to look at this tank, I am very proud of how it turned out. I am proud of the team effort between LCR and JDI have put into this to bring one of the best offerings to market that is purpose built and functionality driven.
And I applaud your efforts, Tom! One thing I haven't seen is photos of the internals. Will you at some point be releasing photos of the pickup assembly/pump, etc., so we tech geeks can see all those details as well?

Thanks,
Todd Z.

hossbronco

Contributor
Yes, I certainly appreciate the effort. If I hadn’t already bought an M1A1 I’d be seriously considering yours. Unfortunately, I haven’t installed it yet, so it’s unclear to me which operational issues I’ll have with it, so I may not fully appreciate your tank until I’ve run mine for a while. Dimensionally, it doesn’t sound like there’s a significant difference between the two, but I could be mistaken.

I’d appreciate some more information on the internals, including the fuel pump, and what issues are being addressed there. I wish a third party who has had the various tank would compare them all.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Yes, I certainly appreciate the effort. If I hadn’t already bought an M1A1 I’d be seriously considering yours. Unfortunately, I haven’t installed it yet, so it’s unclear to me which operational issues I’ll have with it, so I may not fully appreciate your tank until I’ve run mine for a while. Dimensionally, it doesn’t sound like there’s a significant difference between the two, but I could be mistaken.

I’d appreciate some more information on the internals, including the fuel pump, and what issues are being addressed there. I wish a third party who has had the various tank would compare them all.
I've had three different tanks over the years: the NWMP (Sunset Fab) tank, the BC Broncos (aka WH Sherman) tank and the M1A1.

The NWMP and BC tanks were pretty similar, in my opinion. I tweaked the sending units on each as best I could but the lack of accuracy on the gas gauges always kinda bugged me. It's been a long time since I had the NWMP tank but I remember it took several fuel filters to get all the welding crud/FOD out of the tank. I used it with both carb'd and EFI setups. I recall 1-2 instances where the fuel pump lost its prime on steep climbs with very little fuel left in the tank. The BC tank was a little easier to install. Mine was an earlier version without the -6 fittings on it - I always wanted that feature. Fabbed a great stainless pickup line in it with Lars' help, mimicking an aircraft setup and that tank would run until it had 0.5-1 gallon of fuel left in it.

The M1A1 is the nicest of the three and the ISSPRO sender is awesome - my gauge is more accurate now than it's ever been. The Walbro pump is noisy (this is my first experience with an in-tank pump after 23 years with an external pump and no issues). I'll eventually tear it out again and try to quiet it down. The cork gasket supplied with the pump module was missing half its holes so I had to punch those prior to install. I eventually changed the cork gasket to a rubber one from Tanks Inc. I also had sealing issues with something around the top of the pump module - I think it was the electrical connections. Again, a healthy dose of aircraft tank sealant from Lars helped solve that issue. I bought the optional skid plate and I like it along with the J-hooks. I also added pump module flange screws with the o-rings on them for better sealing.

I also considered the Kincer tank - beautifully constructed but hangs waaaayyyy too far down for my tastes. I also don't like that it (and the Duff tank) insist on using the Aeromotive 340 lph pumps. They're good pumps but they require an additional fuel pump relay installation due to their current draw. Very, very, very few EB owners would ever need such a high capacity pump.

Just some of my opinions from many years of usage and a lot of research into the various tanks. I think the Duff/LCR tank looks like a good one.

Todd Z.