• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New fuel tanks - Wild Horses OEM style - Trouble filling main tank.

Kim

Loc.
Long Island
So, ran out of gas and switched to the auxiliary tank - no problems. Went to fill main tank and it started spilling out gas almost immediately. What the heck, any ideas?

Also, I'm assuming the point (not the lever) on the fuel selector switch (between legs) determines which tank is being utilized.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Most of the time u can not fill our tanks at full rate on the nozzle. I have to turn mine upside down and only use the first click on the nozzle

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Was the gas spilling out the filler opening or some other place? Do you have a ruptured or split hose between the tank and the filler opening? Are the hose clamps tight?

If you ran out of gas in the main tank and switched to the aux. tank and the engine started and ran look at the selector and notice which end of the selector is pointing at the aux tank. It will tell you which end of it determines which tank you're using.

OP
OP
K

Kim

Loc.
Long Island
Out the filler opening.
I'm starting to think that the the little metal lever may be backwards?

Also, there is a dribbling of gas out of the valve when you flip the selector switch.

Always something.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
The way I remember it is the handle if the fuel selector valve points in the same direction as the dash switch. And yes, my selector valve will seep some fuel on occasion when I turn it - we both should fix this! ;D

OP
OP
K

Kim

Loc.
Long Island
Short of a full tank is there anything that would actually prevent gas from entering a tank?

Rocking Bronc66

I have always had to rotate the nozzle about 120 degrees and just pull the handle until it starts.... And that is with the stock 66 tank not a new one.

OP
OP
K

Kim

Loc.
Long Island
No, this is something odd. Either I thought the main tank ran out and it was actually the aux tank that did -- or something is not allowing the main tank to fill.

Just doesn't make sense because I know how the fuel selector valve works.

Then main tank didn't want to take more than a few dollars of gas and neither did the aux tank....which makes no sense because I was driving around all day....and one of these tanks sputtered out...

Very, very odd!

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Nothing would prevent filling an empty tank based on the switch position. Some are hard to fill, need to go slow and use certain angle with the nozzle.

bronco loco

It never ends
Loc.
Long Island New York
the short tip of the valve handle shows which tank you are using, not the large one. Short tip towards the door, aux tank. Short tip towards the center console, main tank.

buck68

Could the mechanic mistakenly hooked the gas tanks up backwards to the fuel switch?

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Does your fuel gauge work? If everything is stock do you know that there's a selector switch in the dash for shifting the fuel gauge between tanks?

buck68

If he hooked up your fuel tanks backwards I bet the side tanks empty.

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
If I'm reading this right she tried putting fuel in both tanks. My guess is the tank is not vented properly. And yes most of the bronco tanks are difficult to fill you have to go very slow.

Mattco

Loc.
Dothan, AL
Here is a dumb question for you smart Bronco peoples. Could I install the 14 gallon auxillary tank and the 23 gallon main and set it up to just pump the auxillary tank into the main instead of a selector valve? I would really only use it on long trips.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
x5 had to rotate nozzle upside down and go slow when filling, both tanks.

OP
OP
K

Kim

Loc.
Long Island
Nothing would prevent filling an empty tank based on the switch position. Some are hard to fill, need to go slow and use certain angle with the nozzle.

I know the switch position would not cause this....but could something like not venting properly affect the ability to fill the tank?