• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New fuel tanks - Wild Horses OEM style - Trouble filling main tank.

OP
OP
K

Kim

Loc.
Long Island
Does your fuel gauge work? If everything is stock do you know that there's a selector switch in the dash for shifting the fuel gauge between tanks?

No, gauges do not work.

Yes, I am aware of the differences between the gauge on the dash and the selector between the legs.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Hi Kim, not sure how it is where you are but out here in eco-crazed CA where we invent things to keep the fumes from going into the atmosphere which usually results in more fuel spilling on the ground and twice as much fumes going into the atmosphere%), there are certain gas stations I don't even go to because I can get fuel in the tanks. Venting the air out of the tank while filling up is a big help. I never have the fill up problem where the gas nozzles are old school without the rubber eco fume stopping apparatus. Not sure that helps but just my .02.

Jim

carmi

Loc.
Oroville
Like Blue Bastard and Wild Horses have stated, if the tank is not vented effectively (mine gets clogged every couple years) then it will be difficult to fill. The standard gas pump nozzles are designed to shut off when the pressure increases to a certain point. This pressure can also cause gas to spew out if the vents are really clogged.

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
X25

I can't even pull the handle to the first notch! I haven't seen one yet you could fill without blowing some out. If it's one thing these rigs teach you it's patience;D;D

Jim W.

suthernboy

Loc.
Greenville, NC
If I remember correctly you just had new tanks and filler and vent hoses installed. You need to make sure the new hoses are not kinked (partially closed) inhibiting flow. It's not hard to kink those hoses, they fit very tightly and access is limited. If they are partially kinked, that, combined with the fact that modern gas pumps pump at a much higher flow rate than the old pumps in the '70s, you would most likely get "blow back".