• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New guy here: UPDATE page 3 with pics - Going to look at a 76 that's been sitting.

BroncoLew

Loc.
Alabama
This would be my first early Bronco (I had a 96 that was my first vehicle) and its a friend of a friend that has a 76 302 3spd. It was running with a new Edelbrock carburetor but its been parked for 4 years in a carport with a cover. I don't see any reason that the engine would be locked up but I am going to check the oil and plugs. Are there any other things I need to look for on the engine before I attempt to start it?

I asked if it will roll and he said he doesn't know if the brakes are locked up. I don't have a winch so getting on a trailer if it won't roll would be a problem but are there any tips for looking at the brakes?

I haven't put eyes on the vehicle yet and its a couple of hours away so I am working on finding a time to go look at it. I am talking to the guy on the phone regularly so if there are any other questions I need to ask let me know.

I've already started looking through this site and found some good information. Thanks!

Last edited:

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
Mad....you beat me to it!!!

Does he have a CLEAR TITLE (ideally in his name) that matches the FRAME VIN #???

Could have you tons of possible headaches if the answer is NO!!!!

Last edited:

1970 Palmer

#1 Under a cover is a potential issue. Plastic tarps hold moisture and body panel rust and electrical component corrosion are something to check. A cloth car cover is a safe way to protect a vehicle under a carport, but then they hold on to dust and can cause paint abrasion in wind.

2# Year of manufacture vs. your state of vehicle registration. You do not mention where you live, or where the vehicle will be registered BUT keep in mind that if you live in most of the California counties, they will require it pass state emissions if it has a manufactured after 1975. Just a FYI, and every state has a different emission rule. It's important that you know your local requirements BEFORE you purchase NOT after you purchase.

3# If the brakes are stuck from sitting, it's likely it's the emergency brakes stuck to the rear drums. Pull the rear wheels and take a large heavy hammer and "softly" tap it all around the outer flat edge of the brake drums to release the rust and allow the shoes to retract.

#4 Make sure you resolve the vehicle registration issues FIRST, before you get excited and start the repair process. You need to establish true ownership "in the eyes of the state's DMV".

Welcome, have fun.
John

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
There could be something else that will keep it from rolling. I once had one that had gotten moisture in the rear end gears and was totally seized. I would be prepared to drag it on the trailer just in case.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
The registration should match the Vin number that is on the frame, not the one on the tag in the glovebox. Ideally all three would be the same.
The stamped Vin # can be found on the top of the Pass side frame rail, roughly below where the heater hose come out of the firewall. There might be a secondary stamping on the top of the frame rail below the Pass side floor. Mirrors, light sand paper, flashlight, rags needed to find it.

Good luck and Welcome to the site.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
You are getting some good advice so I'll move to getting it on the trailer. Since it's running you should have a good chance to drive it on. Use 4 low if it runs poorly.

If needed a come along or handyman jack will pull it on. Stay out of the way of the danger zone and have a chain to take up slack and keep it from rolling away in case of a failure. If you have room a cable through a snatch block at the front of the trailer then going to another vehicle works really well, quick and easy.

Welcome and good luck on your possible purchase.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
The registration should match the Vin number that is on the frame, not the one on the tag in the glovebox. Ideally all three would be the same.
The stamped Vin # can be found on the top of the Pass side frame rail, roughly below where the heater hose come out of the firewall. There might be a secondary stamping on the top of the frame rail below the Pass side floor. Mirrors, light sand paper, flashlight, rags needed to find it.

Good luck and Welcome to the site.
X10 check that frame VIN! Or since it's a couple hours away, and it's a friend of a friend, have them verify, if they have not already. VIN locations in blue in the pic

VINs.jpg

Cooter_76

4-year old gas in the tank & lines may be a problem. You could bring a boat gas tank, some fuel line, a couple inline filters and a spare fuel pump. Then you could rig up a temporary fuel system to drive it on & off the trailer.

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
These guys covered it. Title, frame VIN and rust issues. Other than that everything else is just money. :)

OP
OP
BroncoLew

BroncoLew

Loc.
Alabama
Thanks for all of the replies. I am going to look at the vehicle on Saturday. VIN matches and clean title. My biggest issue I see is getting up my driveway since I already know its non-running. My driveway is a hill and there aren't any trees at the top for me to tie a winch to. I am going to try to get it on a uhaul car trailer and tow it home and then get it to a shop. I'm hoping that clean fuel and a tune up can get it running enough to drive it home.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Where there's a will, there's a way :) Tow it up the hill as far as you can, chock the wheels, have a cold beverage while you ponder your next (safe) move.

I would not be surprised at all if it starts and runs, just don't use the old gas, as mentioned above

OP
OP
BroncoLew

BroncoLew

Loc.
Alabama
Where there's a will, there's a way :) Tow it up the hill as far as you can, chock the wheels, have a cold beverage while you ponder your next (safe) move.

I would not be surprised at all if it starts and runs, just don't use the old gas, as mentioned above
Is there a write-up or video somewhere of someone disconnecting the fuel line to the carburetor and draining lines and tank? If the vehicle will roll I would like to try getting some fresh fuel in it to drive it if I can.

1969miller

Contributor
Loc.
Elk Grove
This video seems to cover some of the same areas you will touch when dropping the tank and clearing the lines. I would just take a new hose (3/8 I think?) and hook it up to the fuel pump and run it off a small gas can to get it on the trailer. Then drop the tank and clear all the lines when you get her home. Looking at it on saturday huh? This will be the longest week of your life!