• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

No Start No Spark

PaulN

I've read through a bunch of the recent similar threads but still have some questions and more trying to figure out what caused this.

69 Bronco, 302 and a Accel Points eliminator (something I've been wanting to upgrade soon).

Last week out of nowhere I started having my dash lights turn off and could turn them on from the wiper switch. I now have a wiper switch relay for dual electric wipers. Then my turn signal went out, got a new relay and still wasn't working. Then I had my tail lights go out. I figured I would try to sort it out over the weekend as I just moved and don't have a garage to work on it anymore.

It then cranks slow and then the next time turning it on no crank.

Took out my multimeter and checked the battery and had a good charge. I cranked the engine and pulled the wire and checked for a spark going to the distributor and there was none. With no crank and no spark that leads me to think its the starter since I could also hear it spinning. I replaced the starter last year but with the other electrical problems I was thinking it might not be so simple? Any tips on where to start apart from replacing the starter?

CopperBronco

I’m no electron guru… but step one, go through all your grounds and check them with a multimeter… I’d worry you have a gremlin with issues moving around like that. Also some dash components actually ground to the dash itself, the dash lights inside the instrument cluster ground to the cluster, and then the cluster grounds to the dash, which grounds to the body. Are those the dash lights you’re referring to? Or the under the dash stock light? I’d chase those grounds, scuff up any dirty connection points with sand paper, etc…

It sounds like somewhere power is draining due to lack of a good ground connection, causing the relays to not have enough voltage to open/close, hence the myriad of issues, that’s my best guess. If you really want folks to help solve, a diagram of your wiring setup will go a long ways. You’ll need a good charge of the battery to test grounds. They call them gremlins for a reason, and can be maddening.

Please anyone correct me if any of above is wrong.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Slow crank then no crank, sounds like a dead battery.

Guessing, which is about all I can do with what little I know about how your rig is wired,
Something was running the battery down when not running, maybe combined with not charging? Now it is just too dead to do anything.
Relays don't like to work at low voltages.

CopperBronco

What he said as well ☝️, if you don’t drive it a lot, could just be dying battery. Stuck on charger and see what happens. Or go buy replacement and hook up and see if all goes away, or check if battery connectors have come loose or are dirty, etc...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is it all stock original wiring? Pristine, or hacked up? Is it a replacement harness?
Unfortunately the dash lights, the wiper switch, the turn signals and the starter don’t normally have anything to do with each other.
What other modifications to run down to the truck over the years?

OP
OP
P

PaulN

It is mostly stock wiring but there have been some POs who have done some funky stuff however it is mostly stock to my knowledge. I have been going through the main grounds and checked the one under the dash but still need to keep looking.

When it comes to it not starting though, the battery has a full charge now when I put my multimeter on but no crank. I tried to arc the starter solenoid but there was no spark even though there was 13V being supplied from the battery when I checked. Does that mean a bad starter solenoid or am I jumping to conclusions? With the S going to the ignition coil and no spark coming from the coil can I make that assumption? Or is there a better way to check the starter solenoid?

OP
OP
P

PaulN

I’m no electron guru… but step one, go through all your grounds and check them with a multimeter… I’d worry you have a gremlin with issues moving around like that. Also some dash components actually ground to the dash itself, the dash lights inside the instrument cluster ground to the cluster, and then the cluster grounds to the dash, which grounds to the body. Are those the dash lights you’re referring to? Or the under the dash stock light? I’d chase those grounds, scuff up any dirty connection points with sand paper, etc…

It sounds like somewhere power is draining due to lack of a good ground connection, causing the relays to not have enough voltage to open/close, hence the myriad of issues, that’s my best guess. If you really want folks to help solve, a diagram of your wiring setup will go a long ways. You’ll need a good charge of the battery to test grounds. They call them gremlins for a reason, and can be maddening.

Please anyone correct me if any of above is wrong.

Great thanks for the advice and I hadn't thought not having enough power to open the relays. I'll check all my connections and grounds and try to put together a wiring diagram.

CopperBronco

Great thanks for the advice and I hadn't thought not having enough power to open the relays. I'll check all my connections and grounds and try to put together a wiring diagram.
Put a test light or multimeter on the starter connection area where power comes from battery / solenoid , use a remote starter down underneath clamped to starter power wire and make sure power is getting to the starter, both from solenoid, and down at the starter as well. Remote starter can help you to test and see voltage without being in your drivers seat. How much power do you have on solenoid side that connects to starter? Essentially you just chase voltage and see where it drops along the starter or ignition path. They’re expensive but Power probes are cool cause they can test voltage and supply full battery power where you can bypass areas of your harness and start vehicle to diagnose the point of failure. But that’s a bit overkill. I keep debating buying one, but figure I’ll use it once and will sit for the next 4 years.

You can take a test light to your fuse box as well and make sure power is going through all fuses, or even multimeter to make sure each fuse is supply sufficient power. Especially since you’ve had power issues in so many places. Have you checked power at your ignition? Make sure you have 12v at ignition at the dash? And checked power at back of instrument cluster off the IVR which should be if memory serves me right 4-7 volts… it jumps around with multimeter as it should on the IVR. Just throwing out ideas for major known areas. I feel like electrical issues can be the hardest to get answered in this forum, and most professionals don’t share too much due to liability risks. If you have a painless harness on, you can call them and they will go to great lengths to help you troubleshoot.

CopperBronco

I forgot the most basic thing, a remote starter can bypass the solenoid as well by hooking one side to positive on battery and one side to the starter power terminal I believe, memory is fuzzy 🫠. If it cranks/starts you have bad solenoid or bad solenoid connection, or some other ignition issue. Can remove solenoid, clean remove all dirt, rust, or just replace posts, then put dielectric grease on posts to prevent future rust connection disruptions.

If it cranks but doesn’t start it’s time to chase the ignition switch, coil, distributor points / connections, and spark plugs. The distributor caps are know for getting dirty with carbon build up, I pull off and clean 1x/yr as my Bronco died on me while traveling, had to quickly chase ignition power, spark plug test light didn’t light up, so pulled distributor cap, cleaned metallic areas and it started right up.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Make sure your remote switch is rated for heavy amps. Most are only designed to jump the small S terminal. A normal one would probably melt while trying to jump the starter studs.
But that’s exactly how you test the relay.
Since you’ve already tested it by jumping battery power to the S post, and got nothing, then either you have a bad battery cable or bad starter relay.
Or potentially a bad starter, of course. But if that was the case, you would at least have heard a click at the relay

If you don’t have a robust enough remote starter switch, use the metal handles of Channel lock, pliers set or better still, jumper cables.
Be ready, though, make sure the transmission is in neutral or park, and touch one of the jumper cable to the battery side and one to the starter side.
If the starter cranks, then you have a bad starter relay.

If it doesn’t crank when you touch battery to starter, you either have a bad battery cable (very common) or a bad battery.

OP
OP
P

PaulN

Awesome thanks for the advice! I didn't realize remote starters were so simple but also thanks for the reminder about the amps.

@CopperBronco thanks for the tips and once I get it started I'll check out some more under the dash as I am thinking I sort of had multiple problems all happen at once.

@DirtDonk Paul, always appreciate the advice as well and that is what I was thinking once I pulled the distributor plug from the coil and saw no spark or crank. I checked the cable already (well I just checked to see if it was getting ~12.5V on the cable from battery albeit and not the actual resistance of the wire) which is why I thought it had to be a bad relay but then was also overthinking it. I was also thinking about checking the cable from the relay to the actual starter but need to get someone to turn the ignition for me.

If it doesn't crank couldn't it also be a bad starter motor? Or are they usually pretty reliable since they're just 12V motors?

I will try it out in the morning with jumper cables but just so I understand....to test the starter I could just jump batt (+) -> the starter positive since its grounded to the engine?

OP
OP
P

PaulN

Also, what triggers the ignition coil to fire? I know it is connected to the starter relay but it is also connected to the ignition switch right? Does the starter relay (solenoid) act as a relay for both the starter motor and the coil or am I getting something mixed up? I saw some of the wiring diagrams Steve posted in this thread but was still a bit confused. https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threads/bronco-wiring-diagram.282228/

With the ignition in the on position, it completes the circuit to the starter relay (smaller voltage ~5v?) & ignition coil essentially energizing the starter relay and coil. When the ignition is turned to start, it completes now a different circuit which makes the magnetic field and engages the solenoid to make the circuit between the battery and starter motor (higher voltage ~12v) so that enough amps can be supplied to move the DC starter motor? Is my logic making sense? I guess what I am also confused is what engages the flywheel as well if the solenoid and starter motor are separated?

Sorry for all the questions but something I've sorta always thought I understood but now realizing there's more to it now that I am looking deeper at it.

Last edited:

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Stock wiring system;
Key in ON position, supplies 12v for ignition system, resistance wire (ballast resistor) drops voltage to lower value (9ish) for coil. Check voltage at coil.
There is also a wire in harness that runs from coil circuit to the I terminal at starter relay.
With key ON, you should see lower value at wire that connects to I terminal.
With key turned to START the S terminal will get 12v, closing the relay. The I terminal will get full battery voltage, and send it down wire connected to I terminal.
This boosts voltage at coil to help in starting.

Take red jumper cable and clamp to battery + post. Take other end of red jumper cable and touch post on starter relay connected to wire that goes to starter motor.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
@DirtDonk Paul, always appreciate the advice as well and that is what I was thinking once I pulled the distributor plug from the coil and saw no spark or crank.
Do you mean that you pulled the coil wire out of the distributor? Or that you pulled the distributor wire out of the coil?
If you pull it out of the coil and it's sparking, albeit not strongly, you might not see a spark. That's because the spark comes FROM the coil. That's why you remove it from the distributor cap instead. Then you can see if spark is coming from the coil, through the wire, to a ground.
I checked the cable already (well I just checked to see if it was getting ~12.5V on the cable from battery albeit and not the actual resistance of the wire) which is why I thought it had to be a bad relay but then was also overthinking it.
Yep, the best test for this kind of think is a "voltage drop" test. I can never remember how this simple process is done, so always have to consult the book. But someone here will be able to lay it out for you.
I was also thinking about checking the cable from the relay to the actual starter but need to get someone to turn the ignition for me.
Not really. You can test both cables (battery positive AND starter) with the jumper cable test mentioned. Clamp one alligator clamp to the battery side post of the relay, and the other to the starter side post of the relay.
If the starter cranks, then all three cables (including the ground cable) are good. The starter is good. And the battery is good. It's a good test!
Then you would just have to figure out if the relay is bad, or you're not getting power from the key to the relay via the Red w/blue "S" wire.
If it doesn't crank couldn't it also be a bad starter motor? Or are they usually pretty reliable since they're just 12V motors?
The old ones were super reliable. The new ones? Not so much...
They still need to be made with quality parts, and to quality standards. That just doesn't seem to happen much these days. And hasn't for the past 20 years or so. It's just that it's been getting so much worse in the last five years, that it's another pandemic of epic proportions!
I will try it out in the morning with jumper cables but just so I understand....to test the starter I could just jump batt (+) -> the starter positive since its grounded to the engine?
Yes. You can do it that way, and use the same jumper trick as a process of elimination as well.
First go from the battery positive to the starter. Keep your hands and hair out of the way of the engine's spinny bits! Chances are very good that it's going to crank, so make sure it's out of gear and you're out of the way!
If that works, your battery, negative cable and starter are good.
Next jump the battery side of the relay to the starter. If that works, then your positive and negative battery cables and the starter are good.
Next jump from the starter relay battery side post to the starter side post. If that works, then the starter cable is also good.
Also, what triggers the ignition coil to fire?
Two things. The power supplied from the key to the positive side of the coil, and the distributor signal to the negative side of the coil
I know it is connected to the starter relay but it is also connected to the ignition switch right?
Yes. The connection to the starter relay's "I" terminal via the Brown wire is to send extra current to the coil while the starter is cranking. Also as a backup in case your ignition switch is one of those that, if you turn the key too far during START, the voltage drops off from the switch.
Does the starter relay (solenoid) act as a relay for both the starter motor and the coil or am I getting something mixed up?
It's main function is to fire the starter. It's backup only function is to supply additional juice to the coil. Again though, ONLY during the start/crank process.
I saw some of the wiring diagrams Steve posted in this thread but was still a bit confused. https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threads/bronco-wiring-diagram.282228/
Welcome to the club!
With the ignition in the on position, it completes the circuit to the starter relay (smaller voltage ~5v?) & ignition coil essentially energizing the starter relay and coil. When the ignition is turned to start, it completes now a different circuit which makes the magnetic field and engages the solenoid to make the circuit between the battery and starter motor (higher voltage ~12v) so that enough amps can be supplied to move the DC starter motor? Is my logic making sense?
In the ON position, the ignition switch supplies ZERO power "to the relay" for any function. What you're seeing in that 4v should ONLY be on the Brown wire on the "I" post.
The Red w/blue wire should have zero voltage at this point.
The red w/blue wire is hot ONLY when the key is in the START position, and that is what engergizes the relay and lets power from from the battery to the starter motor.
This is when power comes OUT of the "I" terminal to help the ignition. All other times the power is coming to the relay via the Brown wire, but not doing anything because the "I" terminal is disconnected from all other internal parts of the relay. Or is supposed to be, except when there is an internal failure of the relay.
This does happen, but is one of the less common relay failures I've seen.
I guess what I am also confused is what engages the flywheel as well if the solenoid and starter motor are separated?
Nothing. The starter gear is the only thing to engage the flywheel's ring gear.
The relay is the only thing that lets power get to the starter.
The ignition switch (via the Red w/blue wire) is what gets 12v to energize the relay.
The battery and it's cables complete the system.

Hopefully that helps!

Paul

OP
OP
P

PaulN

Awesome thanks so much for all the detail that helps so much.

When I jump to the starter post of the solenoid I just get sparks but no crank. So can I assume either the starter is bad or the cable connecting the solenoid to the starter is bad? Or could it also be a bad ground somewhere?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My thinking is that the starter could be bad. But I would try one more thing before going to the trouble of removing the starter.
Jump again from the battery to the “S” post of the starter relay. You should still be hearing a click. A very distinctive click right there under your fingers.
That’s the big contact plate of the relay closing.

There’s also the possibility of the starter cable grounding out on something. But you would’ve probably seen sparks and smoke every time you tried to start it.
But don’t overlook the possibility at least.

If the relay does not click, then perhaps you should grab another one anyway. Keep this one as a spare until you determine that it is indeed broken.
But don’t cheap out on the new one either!
They’re such poor quality anymore, you really need to spend the extra on a good one.
Not a $10 one with the lifetime warranty, that you’ll be using every week. A $60 one that will probably work for a couple of years instead. 🙄😁

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Also, you do know that the engine can still turn over. Correct?
Try to turn it over by hand, or by grabbing one of the belts and spinning, or by putting a wrench on the crank bolt. If you can easily turn it, then so should the starter be able to.

OP
OP
P

PaulN

Do you mean that you pulled the coil wire out of the distributor? Or that you pulled the distributor wire out of the coil?
If you pull it out of the coil and it's sparking, albeit not strongly, you might not see a spark. That's because the spark comes FROM the coil. That's why you remove it from the distributor cap instead. Then you can see if spark is coming from the coil, through the wire, to a ground.
Yes I pulled the coil from the distributor cap and left it connected to the coil. Put it close to a grounding source and there was no spark or arc that's why originally I thought it was my starter solenoid since I was confused how power was coming from the coil.

Jump again from the battery to the “S” post of the starter relay. You should still be hearing a click. A very distinctive click right there under your fingers.
That’s the big contact plate of the relay closing.
I did this and not sure why it didn't click the first time I did it with a screwdriver but when I used actual jumper cables I was able to get it to click. So maybe the solenoid is working? I picked up a new one either way but it was strange and I can definitely hear a click when I turn the ignition and my radiator fan starts turning slightly.

I jumped from battery to the positive terminal of the starter underneath the truck and had nothing but sparks......so my assumption is a bad starter? Possibly also the solenoid? I can't get a new starter until tomorrow but I saw that WHs and Toms were selling starter with attached solenoids.

I started to pull my starter but I need to get some sort of pneumatic ratchet wrench or something.....unless I am being dumb and theres an easier way to get the top bolt off like unbolting the exhaust first?

OP
OP
P

PaulN

Also, you do know that the engine can still turn over. Correct?
Try to turn it over by hand, or by grabbing one of the belts and spinning, or by putting a wrench on the crank bolt. If you can easily turn it, then so should the starter be able to.

I tried turning the belts by hand and couldn't get it spinning. I can try to spin it by the crank bolt but I guess why do I want to spin it by hand?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
To make sure the engine is not frozen to the point that the starter motor can't turn it over.
If a starter is trying to crank a frozen engine, you can get sparks.
If a starter itself is buggered, you can get sparks.

There is also another (very common) scenario for sparks.
Because a starter motor is such a high-torque motor, you can get sparks just because! So make sure you were giving it the juice hard, and not just touching the terminal and jumping back.
Or, when you remove the starter, bench test it using the same jumper cable method.
Near your truck, either put the starter on the ground and stand on it firmly (it really wants to jump around, as the song says, when you apply power to it) and connect your jumper cable.
You will need both positive and negative this time, because it's no longer attached to the engine. So pre-connect either the positive or the negative, then make your last connection while you're standing with all your weight on the starter motor.
You can decide which wire to connect first, based on convenience. Usually the ground goes last, but in this case you can use whichever one is easiest. Just be ready to remove it quickly if you see sparks again.

And speaking of removing the starter, yes that upper bolt is a pain. But all it takes are multiple extensions on your ratchet. That, or a really long one!
Because of packaging in the Bronco engine compartment, you have a very narrow window of extension length. Too short and you can't reach the bolt. Too long and your ratchet handle is into the fan, or the radiator hose, or the radiator, or a low-slung alternator, air pump, or any one of severaly things.
Just play around with length and you'll get it out.
To put it back in you can use tape, on the socket, or you can usually reach up there by hand to at least insert the bolt, then attach the socket.

This is one of the reasons many of us like to have at least a 1" body lift. Makes viewing things like the starter and rear spark plugs so much easier!

Paul