• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Non Coyote power upgrade help.

TheVazha

Hello!

I have a stout 302 with an Edlebrock 500 carb, hooker headers, and flowmaster exhaust.

The truck sounds amazing, and it pulls just about as strong as I need it to for what we are using it for.

That said, no one ever said no to more power.

Is there a stronger motor I can instal that will directly mate to my 3 speed trans? Or while I’m at it, is there a combo motor/trans that I can do that will be a little less involved as a coyote swap?

What I mean is, to do a Coyote it’s not just the motor and trans. There are a dozen of other parts, plus I read you may have to cut fenders, do a body lift, new radiator, etc etc etc. I want more power but don’t need it, and therefore the Coyote is not for me.

But, is there something out there that is?

You know how you can go to eBay and find a hundred Coyote plus automatic trans options as a combo for $8-$10? Is there a stronger motor plus auto trans that I can look for that doesn’t involve the brain damage that the coyote does? Money is not important, just bandwidth.

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
my 77 is a stock 302 c4 I think my next engine will be a 351 stroker motor It seems to be the engine that’s not overkill maybe like a coyote too much work and too much money for me

OP
OP
T

TheVazha

my 77 is a stock 302 c4 I think my next engine will be a 351 stroker motor It seems to be the engine that’s not overkill maybe like a coyote too much work and too much money for me

Totally what I’m talking about. Does the 351 stroker motor bolt right in? Do you have to do a million modifications like Coyote or plug and play?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
no replacement for displacement.
Go with a stockish 351. any more than that you will be upgrading the whole driveline too.
its so easy to spend other peoples money.

OP
OP
T

TheVazha

no replacement for displacement.
Go with a stockish 351. any more than that you will be upgrading the whole driveline too.
its so easy to spend other peoples money.

Thanks Rusty! Yeah I agree, super easy to recommend something that’s just not in the cards.

What would be an automatic option that would work with my 302, but would also work with a more powerful motor down the line. I’d hate to do an auto swap for a 302 and then have to do another swap later for a stronger motor..

Or, are 351’s mated to auto trans available to buy as one unit and call it a day?

BRONCOchild2.0

Loc.
SoCal
Man, this thread just makes me miss my '79 Bronco with a 400ci. That beast had some torque and pick-up-and-go power. I was a dumb college student and didn't really appreciate what I had at the moment. That was my one and true regret...of selling it!

With that said...go 351...sorry for hijacking.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Gears.....It's all about proper gearing. All the HP and torque you can make will not overcome wrong gears. Bigger tires kill the stock gearing.

A 96 roller block 351W in sock form is 210 HP 325.0 ft.lbs. @ 2,800 rpm Better heads, intake and cam you can push those numbers up nicely. Stroke it to 408 and get even more.

My rig ran great with the above warmed up 96 351W with 33 inch tires, 4.11's and stock 3 speed. I just upgraded to an M5ODR2 and WOW what a difference. The gearing is really nice now. It just keeps on pulling and pulling and pulling.....

A Coyote swap will cost you 20K per other members posts....

Tim

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Thanks Rusty! Yeah I agree, super easy to recommend something that’s just not in the cards.

What would be an automatic option that would work with my 302, but would also work with a more powerful motor down the line. I’d hate to do an auto swap for a 302 and then have to do another swap later for a stronger motor..

Or, are 351’s mated to auto trans available to buy as one unit and call it a day?

Auto swap.....I would swap the whole Explorer setup in. EFI, Engine, trans the works. You can also just swap in the trans. I will need a controller

Tim

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
You got lots of options.
Stroke and upgrade the 302 you have
Get a stockish 351 will pretty much bolt right in
Build a stroked upgraded 351
Those are going to be the most bolt in options. One issue with the 351 is the taller deck height so you can run into hood clearance issues depending on what carb and air cleaner set up you use.
There are also loads of transmissions that will work from stock upgraded C4 autos to more modern overdrive trans. But watch with the over drive you will most likely need to re gear your axles.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Gearing can make a world of difference if it isn't right.
Next up, 351. It has been swapped for the past 50 years. Bolts right to the old 3-speed. Same motor mounts. Same timing cover, start pump, etc. Couple adaptor spacers will keep the stock accessories. Oil pan is the closest thing to a speciality part you need. Not to mention it is affordable.

And if the 351 isn't enough, there are stroker kits for another level.

OP
OP
T

TheVazha

Stroke that 302 . I made mine a 331 and it has a lot more grunt.

You stroke it dude.

Hahaha jk jk. Man that’s great advice. I honest don’t need a ton of power. Would do great knowing I’ve maxed this motor out.

Where would I look to find someone to do this work?

OP
OP
T

TheVazha

Auto swap.....I would swap the whole Explorer setup in. EFI, Engine, trans the works. You can also just swap in the trans. I will need a controller

Tim

If I buy an old explorer, for example from my neighbor, can I salvage all the parts?

Let’s say I buy a 96 V8 explorer. Can I just lift the motor and trans and all the supporting parts and install them on the 74?

That would be an epic project.

OP
OP
T

TheVazha

You got lots of options.
Stroke and upgrade the 302 you have
Get a stockish 351 will pretty much bolt right in
Build a stroked upgraded 351
Those are going to be the most bolt in options. One issue with the 351 is the taller deck height so you can run into hood clearance issues depending on what carb and air cleaner set up you use.
There are also loads of transmissions that will work from stock upgraded C4 autos to more modern overdrive trans. But watch with the over drive you will most likely need to re gear your axles.

Ok so 302
What do I need to search for to get a good 351? And it would bolt right up to my 3 speed?

OP
OP
T

TheVazha

Another vote for the 351w.. Use that coyote money on gears and lockers.

Forgive me, total noon. What are lockers? Who/where do I seek gear parts and components?

OP
OP
T

TheVazha

Gearing can make a world of difference if it isn't right.
Next up, 351. It has been swapped for the past 50 years. Bolts right to the old 3-speed. Same motor mounts. Same timing cover, start pump, etc. Couple adaptor spacers will keep the stock accessories. Oil pan is the closest thing to a speciality part you need. Not to mention it is affordable.

And if the 351 isn't enough, there are stroker kits for another level.

Are there modern day 351’s? Like new built 351’s or do I need to look to the 70’s?

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
You stroke it dude.

Hahaha jk jk. Man that’s great advice. I honest don’t need a ton of power. Would do great knowing I’ve maxed this motor out.

Where would I look to find someone to do this work?

I get my engine parts from Competition Products out of Wisconsin I believe. If you're not comfortable building the engine yourself than a good machine shop will do the machine work and assembly for you.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Let’s say I buy a 96 V8 explorer. Can I just lift the motor and trans and all the supporting parts and install them on the 74?
Pretty much.....yes.....there are other considerations. I was going to do it but went 351w. Pulled it form a E350 van. The trans is longer so you will need to modify drive shafts maybe a crossmember. Need an adapter (trans to T-case). EFI harness needs modifying, exhaust etc.

Lots of build threads on 351W swaps, Manual trans to auto swaps and Explorer swaps. EFI is a whole other thing but lots of threads on it too. .Lots of little things
Explorer swap is very very popular

Tim

Broncobowsher

Total hack
351W was made up to 1997. No need for 70's stuff. After the mid 80's the rear main seal went to 1-piece. That is good, much less likely to leak. The fuel injected engines show minimal wear even with well over 100k on the clock most of the time.

Doing a stroker kit on a 302 has its place. When you need a lightweight package or have space constraints. The Bronco has neither need. With that stock 3-speed, the added grunt that the 351 offers is what will make it drive good.

An Explorer swap is somewhat bolt in, but there are many little details to pay attention to. Doesn't have the bolt hole in the block for the clutch linkage you have with the 3-speed. They make adaptors. Doesn't have the same balance factor, you need the correct flywheel. One that looks just like your old one, but has a different counterweight for the new engine. Distrubutor from the old engine will drop in and work, for a little bit while it destroys the new engine. The distributor gear material is different. You need the correct distributor gear material for the roller cam. But that won't matter if you keep the EFI, but that is a different can of worms. will the hood close and clear the EFI intake? Fuel pump, return line, wiring, rework the harness, reflash the computer to work without all the emissions stuff, etc. If you want to keep the automatic that comes with the Expolorer, yet a different can to open up.

One thing that was mentioned, but have not seen addressed so far, what size tire are you running? What is your axle gearing? One of the best ways to wake up an engine is to gear the axles correctly for the size tire you are going to be using.