• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Non Coyote power upgrade help.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
One thing that was mentioned, but have not seen addressed so far, what size tire are you running? What is your axle gearing? One of the best ways to wake up an engine is to gear the axles correctly for the size tire you are going to be using.
SUPER important when going auto trans......wrong gears will cook an auto where as a stick will live....

Tim

71 CA Bronco

There are many good options discussed here, however what is your mechanical ability like? I think that is an important factor in determining the type of upgrade. Some options will require a bit more mechanical knowledge. I have also seen too many guys buy a Bronco and tear it apart never to see day light again. Sometimes its best to drive and enjoy the thing for a while to get a feeling for what really needs doing. That Bronco made it a lot of years with relatively little changed overall. And most auto transmission swaps will require drive shafts and re-gearing, so factor that in regardless.

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
There are many good options discussed here, however what is your mechanical ability like? I think that is an important factor in determining the type of upgrade. Some options will require a bit more mechanical knowledge. I have also seen too many guys buy a Bronco and tear it apart never to see day light again. Sometimes its best to drive and enjoy the thing for a while to get a feeling for what really needs doing. That Bronco made it a lot of years with relatively little changed overall. And most auto transmission swaps will require drive shafts and re-gearing, so factor that in regardless.
I totally agree. I've driven Broncos most of my life as a daily driver. And I found them to have enough power to make me smile. As long as you gear them properly to the diameter tire you plan to run. Most of my Broncos over the years had 31-33" tires with the stock gearing of 3.50. But my current one was equipped with 4.11 gears and running 33" tires. The combination seams perfect. Now that I have gained many years of Bronco experience. I've become brave enough to tackle the Explore 5.0 and 4R70W engine and transmission swop. It been done by many on this site and is a proven upgrade for our Broncos. And the Explorer 5.0 is an upgrade in horse power, even in stock configuration. Also with the 4 speed 4R70W automatic you get a good combination of gearing and an overdrive for the highway. I will be running 35" tires when I'm finished, so you will need to gear up to 4.56 or 4.88. I'm going with 4.56.

I'm deep in the middle of my frame off, so come on over to my build thread and follow along.
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threads/project-76-orange-special-decor.239642/

OP
OP
T

TheVazha

Woooow gents amazing discussion.

It seems the path of least resistance is going to be a 351. I’d love to do the explorer thing but I still have a full restoration ahead of me.

On the 351, what’s a sleeper source for them? Where can you get a good 351?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Sleeper source, try econoline vans. They are often discarded once the transmission goes out and people will pass on them as the engine is more difficult to remove than a pickup truck.