• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NORRA Mexican 1000

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
What's the disadvantage to running in 4wd all the time?

I also think it it has to do with handling. Truthfully, I really enjoyed driving the old racer in 4wd because I liked the way the engaged front wheels felt when cornering on the dirt. When I drove it, I was almost always in 4wd. But my partner hated the way it handled at speed, so he rarely had it in 4wd. It came down to driver preference for us. I don't see much disadvantage except as Todd stated, on the pavement.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What about overall weight and weight distribution? I see lot of the rigs have the spare tires hanging way out back. Is this the case with the Bronco as well? Seems with the short WB keeping center of gravity low and weight towards the middle of the truck as much as possible would be best. I know there are a lot of limitations with the stock frame and running gear. How important is a lot of wheel travel in this type of terrain?

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
What about overall weight and weight distribution? I see lot of the rigs have the spare tires hanging way out back. Is this the case with the Bronco as well? Seems with the short WB keeping center of gravity low and weight towards the middle of the truck as much as possible would be best. I know there are a lot of limitations with the stock frame and running gear. How important is a lot of wheel travel in this type of terrain?

You nailed it when you said Broncos are pretty limited in terms of where you can put spares, etc. The fuel cell in the back eats up lots of space. I'm a big fan of keeping the cg as low as possible in any Bronco - the truck we raced the past 2 years has 33" tires and a 2.5" lift. Boyd Jaynes' truck might be even a little lower than ours. The NORRA tracks don't require a lot of wheel travel as you're not flying through a lot of whooped out terrain like you do in the SCORE races. Low cg and good damping are priorities in my opinion.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
Bukin 67

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
I agree with Todd also. I think my Bronco sits higher than the other entries this year except maybe the Unicorn. I'm running 35s. The spare out back also puts the extra weight where it could become squirrly in the turns at speed.
My intent on the build was to make it a 3-4 seater and still do some crawling, so I don't have the best set up for either but it can still do either...Not sayin that they can't mind you, I just set-up my suspension differently

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

enesset

Loc.
NorCal & Iowa
Really?>

I learned a few things from that video:

#1) NORRA must be awesome (I guess I already knew that)

#2) Randy's Rig and Blue Torch #8 are obviously no where near as cool as the late model Subaru #12 since I must have blinked and missed Randy's and Torch literally had 2 seconds at 25:22 before morphing into Boyd's rig in the silt.

#3) If I want a cool EB video I should quit bellyachin and get after it and make my own cool norra vid.

Perhaps one last thing is....after not getting the Spirit of Norra award, and apparently being less cool than a subaru....(typing that gives me a tummy ache)...Team Kaysinger/Baja-Broncos #8....for next year should consider.....and I'll volunteer to do the research on this....perhaps our cool factor would go up if we:

A) Ran General Tire rubber.....

B) slapped on a few Azunia stickers and.....

C) looked into the possibility of having interesting (*wink*edited*) female co-drivers....ONLY for the additional potential coverage amongst race fans videos and for the forward advancement/promotion of cool/classy EB's (I definitely noticed Mark's Riviera rig last year)?

I had already thought EB's were the bee's knees but.......

Here's to next year!

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Just got the word that the 500 is probably not going to happen this year! :(:(:(:(

Apparently the organizer lost $$ at the last 500 because there weren't enough entries and his "heart isn't in it" this year. The un-official from the official is 85% NOT happening. Sure makes planning hard! I'm just a "little" pissed and a "lot" disappointed. Damn it.

OP
OP
Bukin 67

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
Oh, dude, you said exactly what I was thinking after watching the vid. You either gotta be in the high dollar, big name rigs or I guess you aint diddly. I love the female co-driver idea:p. We could park together at contingency, have some skimpy lookin outfits made and have them parade around the EB's, soaking up attention. Haha.
I was kinda dissapointed I didn't make the cut, but wth, I'm putting together with some EB action. It's gonna take a while cause I don't do it much but I have all the cards downloaded.
P.s. I'll volunteer to scout out the co-d's;)

OP
OP
Bukin 67

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
Just got the word that the 500 is probably not going to happen this year! :(:(:(:(

Apparently the organizer lost $$ at the last 500 because there weren't enough entries and his "heart isn't in it" this year. The un-official from the official is 85% NOT happening. Sure makes planning hard! I'm just a "little" pissed and a "lot" disappointed. Damn it.

I heard that too. Sorry coach, I know you were really focusing your efforts on that race. Look at the bright side, you can wait and race with the no-names in the 1000 next year!;D

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
I heard that too. Sorry coach, I know you were really focusing your efforts on that race. Look at the bright side, you can wait and race with the no-names in the 1000 next year!;D

LOL -- I was just on the SCORE site seeing when the San Felipe 250 was.. If you think the little Broncos are no names with NORRA, just race Class 3 with SCORE! HAHA..Even the perennial class champs in their Big Bronco get no love from them in the promo videos!

I don't think I can wait until next May to make it back to Baja! So....very.....disappointed..... I blame Todd and Andrew for getting me excited about this crap again! ;D;)

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, dude, you said exactly what I was thinking after watching the vid. You either gotta be in the high dollar, big name rigs or I guess you aint diddly. I love the female co-driver idea:p. We could park together at contingency, have some skimpy lookin outfits made and have them parade around the EB's, soaking up attention. Haha.
I was kinda dissapointed I didn't make the cut, but wth, I'm putting together with some EB action. It's gonna take a while cause I don't do it much but I have all the cards downloaded.
P.s. I'll volunteer to scout out the co-d's;)

Hahaha...I love it. Well, what we need to do is take over with as many EBs as possible. I'll continue to run, and run old school strictly (no bypass, no trick $hit), and beautify the desert with Stroppe colors, sounds and sights. I like this girl idea. My wife is ready to co-drive...hmmm..

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
LOL -- I was just on the SCORE site seeing when the San Felipe 250 was.. If you think the little Broncos are no names with NORRA, just race Class 3 with SCORE! HAHA..Even the perennial class champs in their Big Bronco get no love from them in the promo videos!

I don't think I can wait until next May to make it back to Baja! So....very.....disappointed..... I blame Todd and Andrew for getting me excited about this crap again! ;D;)

I just had a bitchin idea... LETS GO PRERUNNING! Sometime between now and May????????

OP
OP
Bukin 67

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
Hahaha...I love it. Well, what we need to do is take over with as many EBs as possible. I'll continue to run, and run old school strictly (no bypass, no trick $hit), and beautify the desert with Stroppe colors, sounds and sights. I like this girl idea. My wife is ready to co-drive...hmmm..

You all stand proud and represent well with your true vintage EB's. I really wish I had a true vintage Stroppe to run. It's just not in the cards for me any time soon. The girlys, however, will look just as good in front of my rig.;D I think my wife would like to co-drive as well, but she knows how competetive I get from when we used to race Hobie Cats together many moons ago. She got the boom more than once;)

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh hell yes, im ALL IN. Maybe around the 1000 this fall?

Been trying to figure out what to do for my 40th...maybe this is it.....will have to do the math and calendar thinking on this, but it'd sure be fun!!

OP
OP
Bukin 67

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
Been trying to figure out what to do for my 40th...maybe this is it.....will have to do the math and calendar thinking on this, but it'd sure be fun!!

40, eh? Right on. Thats certainly enough reason to do something cool. If we went earlier, in October we could go down the San Felipe side and do the Petes Camp Poker run. It's a party. Then head down through Cocos Corner. That would be a few weeks ahead, but just another option

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I gotta love a Nesset list. So I finally got some time to watch the vid. There's certainly some Unicorn and Boyd time in there, but I have to comment on the shot they used of Torch in the silt. That was pretty awesome.

25:08 gives you the general lay of the scene. You come to a ledge and in our case, two buggies at a total stand still looking at a hill of silt - a stuck buggy on an alternate route up a rutted trail straight, or a 90 degree right and a 90 degree left thru the silt littered with the f100 and the red truck and one more off to the right. The two buggies go and make it, we sit there and think, my co dog Jake and I ..... we had just gone thru a big silt bed not 15 miles earlier and made it, but this looked awful and with all those stuck rigs, there was little room to get around the red truck. I said, f(#& it and lets go, and crept up to the 90 degree right and got on it and the guys with the 3 stuck trucks(2 each), all stopped digging and cheered and hollered at us as we churned thru. Was an awesome feeling and a highlight of the race. They should have kept he camera on us instead of showing Boyd get stuck. His 4wd wasnt' working so .... anyway, rad race.

I learned a few things from that video:

#1) NORRA must be awesome (I guess I already knew that)

#2) Randy's Rig and Blue Torch #8 are obviously no where near as cool as the late model Subaru #12 since I must have blinked and missed Randy's and Torch literally had 2 seconds at 25:22 before morphing into Boyd's rig in the silt.

#3) If I want a cool EB video I should quit bellyachin and get after it and make my own cool norra vid.

Perhaps one last thing is....after not getting the Spirit of Norra award, and apparently being less cool than a subaru....(typing that gives me a tummy ache)...Team Kaysinger/Baja-Broncos #8....for next year should consider.....and I'll volunteer to do the research on this....perhaps our cool factor would go up if we:

A) Ran General Tire rubber.....

B) slapped on a few Azunia stickers and.....

C) looked into the possibility of having interesting (*wink*edited*) female co-drivers....ONLY for the additional potential coverage amongst race fans videos and for the forward advancement/promotion of cool/classy EB's (I definitely noticed Mark's Riviera rig last year)?

I had already thought EB's were the bee's knees but.......

Here's to next year!