• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NORRA Mexican 1000

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think Bukin67 is talking about a video loaded today by Baja535, the driver/owner of the 332 Bronco in the Norra race. I just watched the video. Another one he loaded up is really cool because it's Day1, stage 1 and he passes all of us Bronco guys broken down. Bukin67 cruising with his axle stuck way out, 26 with a broken driveshaft, me and my co-dog Jake changing a tire on Blue Torch(Kaysinger Bronco), and then Unicorn Bronco passing 332 at the end. Thanks for sharing. I guess I should post the link.....

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
I think Bukin67 is talking about a video loaded today by Baja535, the driver/owner of the 332 Bronco in the Norra race. I just watched the video. Another one he loaded up is really cool because it's Day1, stage 1 and he passes all of us Bronco guys broken down. Bukin67 cruising with his axle stuck way out, 26 with a broken driveshaft, me and my co-dog Jake changing a tire on Blue Torch(Kaysinger Bronco), and then Unicorn Bronco passing 332 at the end. Thanks for sharing. I guess I should post the link.....

Yeah - realized that after I replied and felt like a narcissistic dumb ass! Lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bukin 67

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser

I definitely gotta see that!

OP
OP
Bukin 67

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
Here's a cool shot by PHOTOSOL of The Bukineer form the 1st day south of Santo Tomas

Attachments

• NORRA Bronco.jpg
    NORRA Bronco.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 51
OP
OP
Bukin 67

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
The axle clip was perfect timing! It had just happened before you rolled up and pointed back. Thanks for uploading those clips. Cool.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Question for the racers: How often are you in 4 WD and what kinds of speeds are you seeing? Thanks for sharing this stuff with us Walter Mittys.

OP
OP
Bukin 67

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
I never even locked the front hubs. Had I knew when and where the sand and silt beds were, I would have planned to run with them locked for a short period, so I would have used 4wd a couple of times, especially on the beach the first day. I really had to watch my mileage too, and running with the hubs locked would have probably cost me another mpg.

My top speed was 83. That's as fast as my little 302 would push the 35's with 3.91's on the dirt.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Question for the racers: How often are you in 4 WD and what kinds of speeds are you seeing? Thanks for sharing this stuff with us Walter Mittys.

On the sections I drive, I generally don't have it in 4WD unless I get into a real rough section or silt. I think I used 4 low once in 2012 with Red Racer when climbing some super steep rough hills near La Paz to keep the trans temps down. Full disclosure: sometimes I didn't realize that I still had the truck in 4 hi and drove in 4WD in some instances when I shouldn't have.

As for speeds - the fastest I think I went was 75-80 mph. There's a section of hardpack beach along the Pacific south of San Ignacio where it's great fun to go really fast :).

Todd Z.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Seems like this would be the only time pneumatic locking hubs/TC would be nice to have. Must be a pain to stop, climb out and lock up. How do the trucks handle at those speeds?

OP
OP
Bukin 67

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
Seems like this would be the only time pneumatic locking hubs/TC would be nice to have. Must be a pain to stop, climb out and lock up. How do the trucks handle at those speeds?

It would have been a pain to stop, lock and then stop and unlock, and cost you time as well.

The handling reminds me of Tommy Lee Jones/Clint Eastwood's line in Space Cowboys - like a flying brick. With that short, narrow wheelbase you definitely want to know your turns way ahead of time;)

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We run the hubs locked at all times and pull shifter back to 4wd when needed. I usually don't pay attention to speed- just go as fast and far as I can see. I took two peeks this year at speedo. Once I was going 50ish and the other was 80-90.

OP
OP
Bukin 67

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
We run the hubs locked at all times and pull shifter back to 4wd when needed. I usually don't pay attention to speed- just go as fast and far as I can see. I took two peeks this year at speedo. Once I was going 50ish and the other was 80-90.

I'm with you there all the way. I couldn't even see my speedo on the GPS and the stock one wasn't calibrated so it was wrong anyway. I brought up the info on the GPS after we got home.

OP
OP
Bukin 67

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
Here's a nice pic from a buddy on RDez he took south of BOLA the 2nd day. Crap, I wish my Bronco ran :(

Attachments

• Kens South of BOLA.jpg
    Kens South of BOLA.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 30

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ok, that does it! When I finish the current project I'm building one for NORRA! That's just too cool.

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
I haven't raced NORRA yet, but when racing SCORE we always ran with hubs locked in and just shifted transfer case when needing 4 wheels. That's the way we will run the NORRA races as well. I don't imagine having the hubs locked costs you any noticeable mileage when in 2wd. To me, having to jump out and lock/unlock hubs removes any advantage you have of 4wd. You don't always have advanced notice of silt beds....