• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NORRA Mexican 1000

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
As Andrew noted in his story, he started in our truck in Ensenada on Day 1. I rode with my buddy Sam in his Toyota chase truck to a Pemex station south of San Quintin where we had decided do the driver for the day. Andrew and Jake came roaring in mid-afternoon and handed over a strong-running truck to my co-dog Eddy and myself.

Instead of immediately heading out into the dirt, we first had a 100 mile transit stage on pavement down to the small town of Catavina. It was nice to get a little reacquainted with the truck first before charging off into the wilds of Baja but after 100 miles of asphalt, I was definitely itching for some dirt. The drive through El Rosario became a little more memorable when a dove made an impact statement on the front of Torch. Such things become a little more real when you're driving a truck without a windshield!

The 175 mile stage from Catavina to Santa Rosallita was a nice mix of terrain. Curvy smooth sections, tight, technical stuff, beautiful roads right along the Pacific, and most memorably - several large nasty silt beds. Imagine driving into a huge bowl of flour and trying to find your way through - that's about what silt is like! At one particularly memorable spot, I had to power my way between a parked rig and a stuck race car. I couldn't see anything and just kept my foot on the skinny pedal until we cleared the bed. Others weren't so lucky - several cars were buried to their frames as we powered past. Sometimes we drove to one side or another through the bushes - always trying to avoid the deepest ruts. I remember that we passed 2-3 cars on the stage and were only passed by one other car near the end of the route. Eddy did a great job in his first stint as a co-dog and Andrew's skill as car builder was again evident as we had absolutely no problems despite giving the horse a good run.

It was nearly dark as we reached the completion of the stage (see photos below - photos by Tony Tellier) and we were happy to be headed to Bay of LA for the night's lodging and some food. We drove the 15-20 miles on the highway before we met Sam and Angelo who splashed some fuel so we wouldn't run out on the final 40 miles. The dinner was good when we got there but I was a whipped pup and just wanted to sleep - which I did shortly.

Todd Z.

Attachments

• IMG_0075 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0075 (Large).JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0077 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0077 (Large).JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0078 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0078 (Large).JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3169 (Large).jpg
    IMG_3169 (Large).jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 44

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This is Chris Sullivan. Thanks for the updates. I unfortunately rolled the Bronco in Divisaderos and beat it up pretty good. Luckily the drive train was all good and I made it to the finish line (after it was closed) My navigator and I are fine due to the right cage and safety gear. Except maybe for a little damaged pride. I'm not sure #332 is going to make it back from this one.

Anyone need some real expensive parts for their EB build???

Hey Chris, man, I sure was sorry to hear this at the awards dinner but am glad you and your navigator are okay. I have a couple "Baja by Stroppe" decals I was going to send you for your new fenders, and still will - wish I had a pair of good fenders to contribute...let me know if you need a tub or other parts should you decide to rebuild 332. I'll PM ya.

Andrew

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A little side note about our fuel mileage and Todd's comment about getting to Bay Of LA. I was rolling thru there in the super duty with Nesset and my wife and had been doing the math on the fuel mileage and somehow it seemed we were getting 5.6 mpg at best. I was worried that TZ and Eddy wouldn't be able to make it in on what they had. Luckily sam had 5 gallons and Sullivans crew (332) loaned us a full dumper just in case. Helped me concentrate on getting the camp/food situation taken care of. Thanks 332 Crew. (another example of Bronco/Norra comradery).

Day2: Again, Jake and I were starting out. I've driven this section from Bay of LA for two years now and felt pretty confident about it. Two years ago Nesset and I were in our old Red Racer Stroppe Bronco and nearly endo'd it in a surprise(because our GPS sucked) hairpin at the end of a long straight. I had remembered that for last year and Jake and I had done well. However, this year, it all seemed different. I'm not 54 percent sure it was the same course - I saw 3-4 landmarks I knew I'd passed in previous years. I was told a lot of work had been done to the road to repair it, but all I could tell was that there were lots of slippery flat rocks added where previous years there had been fast dirt. Not much of an improvement from my standpoint....plus I still didn't recognize it! In one area I felt as though I had a flat tire, but pulling over to check - we found all were fine. To make matters worse, the carb linkage was sticking a bit from being packed with silt twice the day before. Not long after the tire check and close to the end of the stage, about 15 miles from it, I smelled gas. I hated to do it, but I pulled over to take a look under the hood. I wasn't looking forward to catching on fire.... All fittings/hoses/regulator/filter - no leaks. Getting back in the truck, I look between the seats at the fuel pump and the floor is soaked with gas. It's an electric Holley pump right between the seats. Shocked out or bad gas ate up the seals. Jake stuffed rags on it and I powered us in to finish the stage, 10 miles at 80 plus. Better finish and fix the pump during a transit than take up stage time. With a soaked floor we finished to find our F250 with the new fuel pump was down the highway in San Ignacio. We made several quick attempts to fix the pump, asked around to see if anyone had a spare, and also to radio our truck with the pump but in the end drove the 64 miles pumping fuel onto the floorboards between us. Stinky, but our best bet for staying in the race. Once closer to San Ignacio, we were in -range and radioed ahead and TZ and Flannery had most of what we needed laid out and ready to do the job. I was barking orders, changing parts, and hustling around like Robby knowing we'd have a time penalty, but in the end it was not a big deal - 38 min. Carb linkage and fuel pump got changed and I believe TZ and Angelo had a fairly smooth section ahead in terms of not breaking. I do remember them booking it right up the special stage finish line at speed! A cool sight!

Attachments

• IMG_0062.jpg
    IMG_0062.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 45

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
This is Chris Sullivan. Thanks for the updates. I unfortunately rolled the Bronco in Divisaderos and beat it up pretty good. Luckily the drive train was all good and I made it to the finish line (after it was closed) My navigator and I are fine due to the right cage and safety gear. Except maybe for a little damaged pride. I'm not sure #332 is going to make it back from this one.

Anyone need some real expensive parts for their EB build???

Dang -- that's tough, brutha -- get her rebuilt and lets meet in the Baja and pay her back!

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Andrew and Todd -- great write-ups, thanks for sharing them along with the pics. Inquiring minds do want to know why you have the fuel pump mounted in the cab?

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's mounted there because that's where it is on the old Red Racer we have. I suppose we could move it. Where it is now, there's no electrical close by, save for the power and ground lead for it, which is weatherpack'd. Also, the exhaust runs far to left and right of it and ends 9" before the plane where the fuel pump is mounted. So in terms of "hot" stuff, theres nothing close by. Was wondering what would have happened if this pump was near anything in the engine compartment, leaking fuel up there..... I'm kind of glad it was where it was: a) we noticed it quickly due to smell, b) easy to change location (again not heatsoaked). But to answer your question it's mounted there because our other Stroppe racer has it in that location....so am open to ideas.

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Mine has always been mounted on the inside frame rail back by the cell. I've just never seen one in the cab before, which is why I asked. I definitely wouldn't put it under the hood - done that and the result wasn't pretty, unless you enjoy engine bay fires!

OP
OP
Bukin 67

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
Sorry to hear about the Bronco, Chris. We had a few close ones as well. I'm glad everyone is OK, and hopefully you'll be able to get her back in shape again.

Coming out of BOLA, lots of sandy turns and hairpins as noted by BB above, we came sliding sideways around a hill into a downhill tight S and scared the hell out of a buggy sitting at the bottom (us too) since he was on road but at least over on the side. I got control and headed on down the road laughing after it was over because we REALLY saw the whites of their eyes. :eek:

Nice to meet you and your #66 team, John. Very nice rig!

Here is a pic from a little place by El Coyote where we had 4 chicken dinners and 4 cervezas for $8. The chicken tasted real fresh too. :) I love Baja!

Attachments

• 20140514_134340.jpg
    20140514_134340.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 42
OP
OP
Bukin 67

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
This is Selia, owner of the palapa bar/restaurant at Playa El Burro. If you're ever heading down Hwy 1 in Baja south of Mulege, stop in have some of the best Margaritas and fish tacos around.

Attachments

• 2014051495151917.jpg
    2014051495151917.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 76

baja535

Yeah it's a bummer. I like to think of myself as a guy who keeps the rubber side down but it was just a slick corner that caught me and when I hit the brakes it pitched sideways and there I was sliding down the decomposed granite road sideways and looking at a pretty good cliff in front of me. I gave it a little gas and corrected, or should I say overcorrected and then I was facing a rock and a crowd of people on the other side of the road. Before I had a chance to correct again I barrel rolled 2 1/2 times and ended up on the lid. Some really cool mexican guys and gals pulled us out the passenger side since the driver door was crunched and gathered all our stuff that was strewn across the road. The whole rolling event lasted about 2 second as evidenced by my trusty go pro that stayed running the whole time.
We let one truck go by, rolled it back onto the tires and it fired right up. I pulled it off the road and with the help of 6 guys or so zip tied the roof and hood. We then cruised almost to the finish with visions of what the crowd would be thinking as we pulled up onto the finish platform when it died. Turns out my battery cables had some corrosion or something and the battery wasn't charging. We sat for 2 hours about 10 miles from San Jose del Cabo watching all the stragglers drive by. It seems nobody had jumper cables or they were just not feeling the baja spirit at that point. Lots of guys had a much longer day than expected. We finally got a jump from a rancher and with the system charging again made our way to the finish line.
By then the line was closed and we just went to the party. I'm really glad I didn't hurt myself or my navigator and it's just vehicle damage.
Thanks to Andrew, Todd, and the crew for the warm reception. Congratulations to the bitten white Bronco on the win in you inaugural race.
I'm not making any decisions yet about the future of the Bronco but you may just see come photos coming of a resurrection.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
This is Selia, owner of the palapa bar/restaurant at Playa El Burro. If you're ever heading down Hwy 1 in Baja south of Mulege, stop in have some of the best Margaritas and fish tacos around.

Not too bad lookin is she... %) :D

OP
OP
Bukin 67

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
She's way better in person and has an awesome personality...and single...I heard ;)

The local people were the friendliest you could meet. Every time we were stopped, a local would never go by without making sure we were OK. Even when the motor gave out it wasn't 2 min till a guy stopped to check on us and gave us a couple cervazas. I don't know if we had that look like we were needing a cerveza or what, but I've definitely never been offered more beer at a race

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Question for the Baja guys. As a aspiring participant at some point in the distant future I'd like a little build advice especially after reading the barrel roll story. Glass or metal? I have more frames than good tubs though I do have a 66 roadster which supposedly had race history with A.K. Miller. No proof at all of that. Either way it would be a huge project to rebuild that body and the thoughts of wrecking it are not so good. I wouldn't feel so bad about replacing a glass body. Would that be out of the spirit of the vintage racer aspect? I'd plan an old school chassis either way. Thanks! Mark
PS thanks for the pics it brings back memories of many good days in Baja.

OP
OP
Bukin 67

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
Old school is definitely more in the spirit of the event, but it seems to be changing with more DAKAR and KOTH guys, among others, getting involved. Seems $ talks. Our vintage class even allows linked rears and up to 108" wheelbase which is anything BUT vintage on an early Bronco. All this really doesn't match the competition up right anyway, which is sad in a way because that's what this race is supposed to be all about, so as long as these rules are intact I would go glass if I were doing a frame-up to race it.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Kind of what I'm thinking. I'll be asking a lot more questions as time goes on. May be fun to just run the course without setting the goal too high. I'm a total race novice but I've wanted to run Baja since I was kid in the 60s. Still looks like the best way to do it.

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
She's way better in person and has an awesome personality...and single...I heard ;)

The local people were the friendliest you could meet. Every time we were stopped, a local would never go by without making sure we were OK. Even when the motor gave out it wasn't 2 min till a guy stopped to check on us and gave us a couple cervazas. I don't know if we had that look like we were needing a cerveza or what, but I've definitely never been offered more beer at a race

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

The people of Baja are one of the things I love the most about it. If I could get my wife on board, I'd be living down there right now...

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
What's up with all the fires in Baja all of a sudden??
Mulege

North of Ensenada

I don't think it's anything unusual - just a result of a dry, dry climate (See San Diego). And additionally, they don't really have stellar fire support services like most of us are used to. Here's a few shots from the 2005 Baja1K, along the Tollroad between TJ and Ensenada..The skies looked like beautiful sunsets, but they were really just clouds of smoke reflecting the fire.

Attachments

• 11212005baja1000013.jpg
    11212005baja1000013.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 11212005baja1000012.jpg
    11212005baja1000012.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 11212005baja1000011.jpg
    11212005baja1000011.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 11212005baja1000010.jpg
    11212005baja1000010.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 11212005baja1000009.jpg
    11212005baja1000009.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 11212005baja1000008.jpg
    11212005baja1000008.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 11212005baja1000007.jpg
    11212005baja1000007.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 11212005baja1000005.jpg
    11212005baja1000005.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 11212005baja1000014.jpg
    11212005baja1000014.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 9
  • 11212005baja1000015.jpg
    11212005baja1000015.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
Bukin 67

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
Man I just saw the 332 on board cam of the roll on YouTube. Been thinking about you. I wish there was a way to help with the teardown but I'm too far logistically to get any hands on help.