• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Note to self....

PaveBronco

DO make sure your trans isn't in gear before you try to crank it while standing on the passenger side... Or you will
1. give your garage and en suite laundry room.
2. drive up into your buddies Ford Focus RS's engine compartment while he's kindly giving you a jump.
Anyone see a trend here...

OP
OP
DC_Gearhead

DC_Gearhead

DO make sure your trans isn't in gear before you try to crank it while standing on the passenger side... Or you will
2. drive up into your buddies Ford Focus RS's engine compartment while he's kindly giving you a jump.

This is why we can’t have nice things....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
DC_Gearhead

DC_Gearhead

Before testing the starter, ignition, wiring harness, and everything between, you should make sure it’s not just the ignition switch.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldiron

Bronco Guru
NEVER tell the body shop/painter whose putting in new floor pans and rockers for you because it'll save time, to "take your time I'm not in any hurry". You won't see it for a 18 months.
NEVER take the p.o.'s word for anything, always check it yourself.
NEVER labor under the delusion that new = good.
NEVER make 16 changes all at once, then when it wont run, you have no idea where to start.
There are literally hundreds more. ;D
Greg

martinphoto

1. Make sure when you are cutting out the rusted hole in the floor with a angle grinder that the fuel line is pulled out of the way and stays there. Almost lost the whole bronco and garage. 20 minutes of fighting fire with garden hose. Fire department showed up 10 minutes after I had it out. Much more to say about this incident at a later time and place.:-[

2. Make sure you have a decent size fire extinguisher close by when cutting anything with an angle grinder or when mig welding. I now have 2, one next to each door the garage.;D

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
1. Make sure when you are cutting out the rusted hole in the floor with a angle grinder that the fuel line is pulled out of the way and stays there. Almost lost the whole bronco and garage. 20 minutes of fighting fire with garden hose. Fire department showed up 10 minutes after I had it out. Much more to say about this incident at a later time and place.:-[

2. Make sure you have a decent size fire extinguisher close by when cutting anything with an angle grinder or when mig welding. I now have 2, one next to each door the garage.;D

Man! Glad you were able to get it under control. Could have been so much worse. got lucky.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Never replace a multi hundred dollar radiator, thinking its plugged up, without checking the $5 thermostat 1st...

71 CA Bronco

I'm still laughing over this one. Just cause its something I would do. :)

66BlueGoose

Contributor
When rebuilding the three speed manual, the book says to put the 2nd/3rd gear hub a certain direction based on the mark on the one side. You look and look, no mark, seeing no obvious difference you go for it. You then realize the input shaft won't bolt all the way in. Why, because that 2nd/3rd gear hub is recessed every so slightly more on one side and that is needed for the input shaft to slide all the way in.

Now the good part, you give yourself kudos for figuring it out quickly and do a quick disassemble and reassemble to resolve. Pick up a rag to wipe your hands and find a synchro lying there you did not put in. Try #3 you repeatedly drop the idle shaft needle bearings in the case. All together and good in the end, but your buddy won't help on any future ones, he figures he has already helped you 3 three of them....

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Don't trust your drunk uncle when he says, "Yes, of course I tightened the lug nuts on the passenger side"
Scary ride.
Lol

His Horse

When your stock fuel pump goes out and you put in another brand new one, make sure the manufacturer hasn’t switched the inlet and outlet sides on you. Took me hours to figure it out. Took the new one out to make sure the off set cam inside the. Timing chain cover hadn’t gone south.

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
Note to self...are the hood pins back in? Made that mistake more than once now... %) It's so ingrained that I look for them when when cranking the key!

CA650

Look around on the garage floor for the camber plate before complete re-assembly of the spindle, hub, rotor, caliper, springs, gears, locker/warn cover, wheel and putting away the jack.

oldiron

Bronco Guru
Always make sure you can remove the fill plug BEFORE you remove the drain plug.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Put the drain plug back in the transom before launching boat first time for the season.