• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NP205/4R70W/Dana 30 Front Driveshaft

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Fellas - my 4R70W conversion is essentially finished but today I was looking at the front driveshaft and things look - TIGHT.

I have Ford auto column with modified linkage going down to the 4R70W. I have modified the lever on the transmission (cut and re-positioned) so the lever is basically horizontal but I can change gears nice and smooth and it is as high up as I can get it.

RIGHT next to it is the Hedman header ball socket flange. I can move the bolts around to maximize room but it is still hitting the old driveshaft when i mock it up. I may be able to bend the headers for a little more clearance but not a lot.

This is a street and snow rig only no off roading. If I can start with a decent fit that needs to be shortened that would save some coin. Explorer? Cherokee? NP205 has me confused on my options.

Questions:
1) What type of u-joint does the dana 30 on the front use and how can I confirm that? My front diff has king pins so i am pretty sure it is D30
2) The NP205 uses a cardion joint correct? I did not get a driveshaft with the NP205. I assume I should replace it with another cardion type.
3) Can I get a strong but skinny driveshaft in the area it is tight? The lower portion of my existing driveshaft fits right through there

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Fellas - my 4R70W conversion is essentially finished but today I was looking at the front driveshaft and things look - TIGHT.

I have Ford auto column with modified linkage going down to the 4R70W. I have modified the lever on the transmission (cut and re-positioned) so the lever is basically horizontal but I can change gears nice and smooth and it is as high up as I can get it.

RIGHT next to it is the Hedman header ball socket flange. I can move the bolts around to maximize room but it is still hitting the old driveshaft when i mock it up. I may be able to bend the headers for a little more clearance but not a lot.

This is a street and snow rig only no off roading. If I can start with a decent fit that needs to be shortened that would save some coin. Explorer? Cherokee? NP205 has me confused on my options.

Questions:
1) What type of u-joint does the dana 30 on the front use and how can I confirm that? My front diff has king pins so i am pretty sure it is D30
2) The NP205 uses a cardion joint correct? I did not get a driveshaft with the NP205. I assume I should replace it with another cardion type.
3) Can I get a strong but skinny driveshaft in the area it is tight? The lower portion of my existing driveshaft fits right through there

Thanks guys!

I am sure you can get a thick wall small diameter shaft.
WH sells a version of this but what you need is custom because of the 205 so PM Driveshafter here on CB. He can hook you up.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
The NP205 came with both cardan and noncardan, depending on its application. You can tell the difference by looking at the hole spacing. U joint style has the holes right at the edge where the cardan style is moved inboard a bit...
question for you, do you have any pics of the clearancing that needs to be done to the adapter between the trans and transfer case? also, are you twin sticking it?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
1) the Dana 30 had 2 different front driveshafts. Do you still have the original Dana 30 front driveshaft? You can look at that one. If not start measuring the yoke.

2) NP205 can be had in single cardone and CV style yokes in numerous different sizes. Although 1310 and 1330 are the most common. I think those 4 different versions were the only options for the front driveshaft.

3) small diameter shaft is the usual fix with the dana 20, going out on a limb and say the NP205 will be about the same.

OP
OP
pcf_mark

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Good news is I have the old driveshaft. I'll take some measurements of the bolt spacing on both the NP205 and the front diff to be sure I have my "stuff" together. So there is a driveshaft with a thick wall and diameter around 1 1/2"? That would probably do it I just need to be aware of the splined area. I was hoping a vendor had already solved this I'm not sure how long it will take to get one.

I do not have any pictures of the clearancing of the tailshaft area for the 205 to bolt up. I used the old gasket from the 4R70W and made a template in cardboard. Then I trimmed the 4R70W to match. Then I put the parts together and had to further trim the rib for clearance around the T-case shifter linkage. I did not twin stick I made a simple shifter and it works great. I do need to open the hole in the floor a bit to get 4WD low. Neutral, 2WD and 4WD high no problems.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
With a Dana 20 I know you can get by with a 2" driveshaft, stock is 2½.
I don't know what the NP205 will need to clear. 1½" is getting really small. I hope you can get by with 2"

DEEPWOODS

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Front drive shaft

I have a np205 and 4r70w .I am using a front drive shaft from a Explorer 35.00 at u pull it . Had it shortened and rebalanced for 50.00 at local driveshaft shop .

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have a np205 and 4r70w .I am using a front drive shaft from a Explorer 35.00 at u pull it . Had it shortened and rebalanced for 50.00 at local driveshaft shop .

What U-joints are on that shaft?
What yokes do you have on the 205?
What year Explorer? What drivetrain?

DEEPWOODS

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They are the same as stock bronco .I have 2 NP 205s one has the correct yoke and one has larger yokes. The rear shafts is a f250 front shaft cut down I had to buy a flange yoke for the np205 and a new yoke for the 9" also not to sure the 260 will work out as it does not have a long slip joint .

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Some of the very early front driveshafts were actually solid and very small diameter. I could go measure one...but I'm guessing 1.25 OD"?

OP
OP
pcf_mark

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Deepwoods - what year Bronco do you have? I think my D30 is going to make this a nuisance. What vintage Explorer and was it V6 or V8? I'm going to measure my current parts so I know what I have. The old one looks to be 2 1/2" on the upper section, 2" would help but may still be close. Do you have headers? My headers are the real problem I think I have the linkage clocked enough to get some room.

I'm nowhere near the trans or engine pan as some guys have had problems.

OP
OP
pcf_mark

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Here are some of the dimensions from my truck:

Yoke on NP205:
Distance between across u bolt holes 1 3/8
Distance between u bolts 2 7/8
Diameter for u joint cap 1"

Yoke on Dana 30 diff:
Distance between across u bolt holes 1 7/16
Distance between u bolts 3"
Diameter for u joint cap 1"

At rest the driveshaft I need is 26 3/8

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Ok looks like you have a borg warner front drive shaft. That will be a problem. You need to get the spicer yoke and convert it over. The borg warner stuff is wider than the spicer and the 205 only uses spicer so there is a mis match. Also the 205 had many different yokes. Your looking for the c/v yoke that takes a 1310 u joint. this yoke has a smaller dia. at the oil seal. you need to get the matching oil seal. With the proper c/v yoke on the 205 a stock bronco / spicer driveshaft will bolt up to the 205. This is true for both front and rear.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
The explorer drive shafts use drive flanges. They can be used if you buy the matching flanges for the 205 in place of the yokes. The front shaft is non c/v witch would work because your not lifting your bronco. But on a lifted truck this shaft would cause a vibration.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
First generation ('95 and earlier) explorer front driveshafts use 1310 joints and have a cv joint at the rear.

Attachments

• 20150608_190623.jpg
    20150608_190623.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 46
OP
OP
pcf_mark

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
That sure is a good looking driveshaft - if it is 2" or less it would have real possibilities. How long is it?

Can someone confirm I understand the issue with yokes correctly? I need to swap the yoke on the front diff to this unit so it uses standard 1310 u-joints:

http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p48_dana_30_pinion_yoke__1310_series_26_spline.html

Do I also need to change the one on the NP205 to this one for a CV style 1310?

http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p23...32_spline_for_np_203_205_208_241_transfe.html

Then my driveshaft options are more standard - right?

I am guessing although my rear driveshaft bolted up the output flange on the back of the NP205 is incorrect also (non-CV style)?

Last edited:

DEEPWOODS

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I took it off a 99 explorer front driveshaft it is a c/v 1310

OP
OP
pcf_mark

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Looks like the same front u-joints throughout the 90's just checking some parts websites.