• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Optima Red or Yellow top opinions

merciless

Loc.
Brooklyn, NY
Need some opinions.<br>The Duralast that came in my bronco died when this cold snap hit <8degrees gah! Gotta start it everyday to make sure it has a charge.<br><br>So it seems the Optima battery is the way im going.<br>I like to run stereo w/ couple amps and I also have a winch.<br><br>I really dont want to shell out the extra cash for the yellow top if the red will work just fine plus the red has more CCA.<br><br>Which is better the red top or the yellow?

desertrat302

Loc.
Tucson,Az
Red top will work just fine.<br>Might want to think about an alternator upgrade though,since you're running a lot of accessories.

edge4

Contributor
Loc.
Gonzales, Texas
I've run the red with a large stereo, winch and lamps for two years with no problem. Even running the stereo for extended periods with the engine off, the red seems to handle the discharge fine.

luvmybronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ashland, Oh
I have a red top in mine...The highs here have been in the single digits for two weeks, with lows in -10...Last night it was -11...I started the Bronco today, and it fired up frist time...It sat for 6 days in the cold sub zero weather...

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
The red tops are good, but I am on my second one. If you let them drain all the way down they don't always come back up. Mine will only charge to 12.44 now and not the 12.8 they advertise. The yellows don't have this problem. Nonetheless, great batteries.

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
I use the yellow and love it. I leave all my show lights on with no motor running all night and come back and it fires right up. I can run my stereo pretty much all day and nite and still start pretty easy without the motor running.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
If you plan to deep cycle it by running the battery down or run hign drain accessories regularly without the engine running then go with the yellow.<br><br>If you don't plan to run the battery down then I would choose the cold cranking amps of the red.<br><br>I have a Sears Die Hard Range Handler that has been very tough for about a year and a half so far, but when it dies I will probably replace it with the Red Optima Costco (don't call me Price Club) has excellent prices on both red and yellow right now. Hope this helps... BH