• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Optima Red Top at Costco?

pinenuts

Loc.
Hereford, AZ
Since the nearest Costco is about two hundred miles away, can anyone tell me if the Optima Red Top they sell is the right size for an EB?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have never seen a stock bronco battery hold down, with that in mind they do fit. They sit on the battery tray and the hood will close. The terminals are in the right locations.<br><br>The only thing that may need to be addressed is the hold down. Generic hold downs can be found at any parts store and most Wal-mart type stores for cheap.

rflud

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Modesto, CA
I just bought my "Red Top" at Costco for $102 +tax. Then I found the same battery at Autozone for $109 +tax. I boght a hold down kit at Autozone for $5 that works great. The only thing you need to decide is would it be easier to return the battery to a parts store (which might be closer) or return it to Costco? That is if you ever need to during the warranty period.

desertrat302

Loc.
Tucson,Az
Yes,it's the right size for an EB,I have one in mine.<br>770 CCA I believe.The dual terminals are nice,makes hooking up accessories and jumpstarting really easy.<br>I happen to work for Costco,and we also carry the yellow and blue tops.(At least at my location.)<br>In the year and a half we've carried them,I've never seen one returned.But if for some reason you do have to return it,during the first 2 years replacement is FREE.<br>No pro-rating like the parts stores.<br>At least that's the way it works here,your location may be different,so check with them.<br>I used a generic hold-down from Checker.I cut a piece of fuel line to insulate the J-bolt that goes between the side terminals,in case the battery did move in the tray,to keep the positive terminal from grounding on the J-bolt.<br>Wherever you get your Optima,you'll love it,they kick ass.Well worth the bucks over a conventional battery.

G

I have a red top in mine also, I have it on the side and a bunji cord for now. My sand rail (dune buggy) has a red top that is 5 years old and has never let me down. Still works great and it is on its side also.

67halfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Michigan
[quote author=Broncobowsher link=board=5;threadid=12861;start=0#96564 date=1041532498]<br>I have never seen a stock bronco battery hold down, with that in mind they do fit. They sit on the battery tray and the hood will close. The terminals are in the right locations.<br><br>The only thing that may need to be addressed is the hold down. Generic hold downs can be found at any parts store and most Wal-mart type stores for cheap.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Battery Hold Down? You mean I should have one :eek: ;D<br><br>Darn! one more thing on my list of Must haves before she rolls again. ;D ;D<br><br><br>The optima's do fit in the Early Broncos. Rulebreaker has one in his.

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
[quote author=DesertRat302 link=board=5;threadid=12861;start=0#96625 date=1041548090]<br>Yes,it's the right size for an EB,I have one in mine.<br>770 CCA I believe.The dual terminals are nice,makes hooking up accessories and jumpstarting really easy.<br>I happen to work for Costco,and we also carry the yellow and blue tops.(At least at my location.)<br>In the year and a half we've carried them,I've never seen one returned.But if for some reason you do have to return it,during the first 2 years replacement is FREE.<br>No pro-rating like the parts stores.<br>At least that's the way it works here,your location may be different,so check with them.<br>I used a generic hold-down from Checker.I cut a piece of fuel line to insulate the J-bolt that goes between the side terminals,in case the battery did move in the tray,to keep the positive terminal from grounding on the J-bolt.<br>Wherever you get your Optima,you'll love it,they kick ass.Well worth the bucks over a conventional battery. <br>[/quote]<br><br>I also work for Costco, and I second what he says. Costco probably has the best return policy for any retail store, bar-none. <br>Desertrat- did you happen to have either Kevin Bosworth or Andrea Houchins come to your store from Simi CA? Andreas last name may be different now, she went thru a divorce. She works as a cashier, he works in Tires.<br>-Eric

jims66

I have purchased batteries at Costco and after severe abuse had them go bad. When I returned them under warranty there were NO questions asked, just a simple exchange. Very easy people to deal with. You also have to remember that they have no equipment to test a battery so how can they argue with you?

KST1

Just a note about bungee cord battery hold downs. <br><br>Years ago I had a bungee cord holding my battery, a real short one stretched pretty tight. I hit a berm pretty hard and carried the front wheels over the top with a rough landing. To make a long story short, battery bounced into the fan and deflected it into the radiator cutting through a core. Bungee cord pulled the battery right back where it started. Couldn't even tell except for 2 missing blades on the fan, steam from the radiator, and some nice notches in the battery.<br><br>If you got em, I suggest you change em.<br><br>-D

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
[quote author=jims66 link=board=5;threadid=12861;start=0#96763 date=1041604170]<br>I have purchased batteries at Costco and after severe abuse had them go bad. When I returned them under warranty there were NO questions asked, just a simple exchange. Very easy people to deal with. You also have to remember that they have no equipment to test a battery so how can they argue with you?<br>[/quote]<br><br>A lot of our batteries have the little green light on the top to tell us if they are good or bad. So there. :p<br>-Eric

desertrat302

Loc.
Tucson,Az
[quote author=FSRBIKER link=board=5;threadid=12861;start=0#96751 date=1041591809]<br>I wish Costco in NJ carried them :(<br>[/quote]<br><br>FSR,you may be able to special order one,we do special orders on jewelry and tires all the time,not many people know this.Next time you're there,ask a manager to look up item #355559 (Red top) and see if they are available in your region.<br><br>Eric,I don't know Andrea or Kevin,but there's a lot of people there I don't know,it's a big place.There is another warehouse here too,they might be over there.

jims66

[quote author=EricLar80 link=board=5;threadid=12861;start=0#96838 date=1041623866]<br>[quote author=jims66 link=board=5;threadid=12861;start=0#96763 date=1041604170]<br>I have purchased batteries at Costco and after severe abuse had them go bad. When I returned them under warranty there were NO questions asked, just a simple exchange. Very easy people to deal with. You also have to remember that they have no equipment to test a battery so how can they argue with you?<br>[/quote]<br><br>A lot of our batteries have the little green light on the top to tell us if they are good or bad. So there. :p<br>-Eric<br>[/quote]<br><br>Well! The little "light" is a built in hydrometer. The only thing it tells is if the battery is charged by the specific gravity of the electrolite. I still think they have great batteries, especially for the cost!