• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Peel & Seal

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm planning to use peel & seal on my bronco for a sound deadener. I've seen loads of posts on the interwebs about it, and I know JustaFordGuy used it in his 77.

Here is what I'll be using, it should roughly cover the tub with two layers.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_154032-8132...Ntt=peel&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=peel&facetInfo=

Here is a huge thread on Jalopy Journal about it.

http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=711889

Here is my tub after putting down the POR-15, this is what I am starting with.

7FED1E8C-7CFF-48B7-B352-93C3E3CD04CA-3808-000002CD7C3E746E.jpg

Last edited:

croft75

I think I read something about those products smelling when they get hot? not sure if it was that brand or type though.

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think I read something about those products smelling when they get hot? not sure if it was that brand or type though.

That is this product, but I've seen so many conflicting results that I am not concerned. The vast majority report little or no smell.

BRONCOchild

Bronco Guru
my opinion is that i would also spray it on the wheel tubs. plus, if you are laying in a carpet, then the smell and all of that will decline and new aromas will take place...lol

best of luck!

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm planning to line as much of the tub as I can. I still have the interior quarters to add as well.

turbotim2

How thick is this stuff? Is it like ice & watershield with a foil covering?

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
I haven't noticed any smell from mine. Had it in there for almost 2 years.

I didn't know they made it in wide sheets, I did all mine with the narrow rolls.

Archangel

I worked in the Car Audio field for almost 10 years, and i have seen people use it for a sound dampener, if you put it on your floorboard where the exhaust is close it it, it will smell like your driving through construction where they are laying new asphalt for quite a while, eventually when it starts to break down it wont smell as much, just what Ive sceen in the past. there are a huge assortment of sound dampening mat material out there i would look into a better product before installing the peal and seal.

Edead from Elemental Designs is one i would recommend, good product, cost effective. that's what i used to install the most.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?products_id=51....this

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I worked in the Car Audio field for almost 10 years, and i have seen people use it for a sound dampener, if you put it on your floorboard where the exhaust is close it it, it will smell like your driving through construction where they are laying new asphalt for quite a while, eventually when it starts to break down it wont smell as much, just what Ive sceen in the past. there are a huge assortment of sound dampening mat material out there i would look into a better product before unwrapping the peal and seal.

Edead from Elemental Designs is one i would recommend, good product, cost effective. that's what i used to install the most.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?products_id=51....this

Yes. The items out there in the construction industry like ice & water shield, Grace bituthene 3000, Henry peel & stick, will smell. With them still in there boxes in the waterproofers van it already stinks and it's not exposed to exhaust heat on the floor board.
I actually inspect these kind of products in the construction setting.
BTW all of these products are better than they used to be for odor but still bituminous (asphaltic).
Things like brown bread and dyna mat for example usually have a lead like septum that deadens sound better than a bituminous septum and ofcourse doesn't stink when exposed to exhaust heat at the floor board. The bituminous products are used for it's self sealing ability against water intrusion when penetrated by fasteners. The liquid bitumen between the poly ethylene layers does a great job of sealing around fasteners but likely won't help as much as actual sound deadening peel & stick will in an eb.
I would say to get one of the generic versions of dyna mat and use it. At the end of the day it's an eb and will never be that quiet anyway haha.

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm in it for ~$65, 20% harbor freight coupon match at lowes. It'd be more than double that for the same amount or deadening ability of e-dead or fatmat and more than tripple that for dynamat. I'll take my chances...:cool:

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I used this from Home Depot on my 78 Bronco. It worked very well and no smell yet.

DSC01159.jpg

DSC01182.jpg

I would seriously reconsider using the 30 inch wide Peel & Seal. The 6 inch wide stuff is really easy to work with - especially around compound curves.

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I used dynamat on my mazda 6, it came in 24x12 sections. It is easy to cut with a utility knife. I don't have any intention of putting down 36" wide pieces.

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
Just curious, Is that an asphalt based seal/deadener? If so wear I hope you have supplied fresh air.

Sac '68 sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orangevale
I haven't noticed any smell from mine. Had it in there for almost 2 years.

I didn't know they made it in wide sheets, I did all mine with the narrow rolls.

Me too. I used the 9 inch rolls. I haven't noticed any smell at all either, but it also does not work nearly as well as dynamat or other made for sound deadening products.

chuckinphx

Loc.
phx
i used the same type of stuff inside my doors and firewall... live in arizona.. dont smell in the heat.. mine was "tite seal" flashing.. for window sealing... helped a lil. but 35 " muds at 65 mph will be heard!!

bronc50

Use b-quiet
It is rated better than dynamat and is very reasonably priced

You will be very happy and have way better benefits!

landshark99

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Montrose, Colorado
I used frost king from home depot for my 76 restore... so far so good, quiet, easy to install and only 1/8" thick... dont feel any heat from the exhaust either.. used some foil tape to tape the seams together. I would not recommend using this upside down such as the hard top.. and it does not like 90 degree bends unless you tape the edges down. Overall very happy with it would use it again.

IMG_1547.JPG

IMG_1550.JPG

I used Dynamat int he doors and under the wiper cover area since its a bit heavier and will help the tin can sound, and used another material for the hard top 3/4" thick and sticky as hell - dont know the name got it from a special source ;)

IMG_1580.JPG

IMG_1666.JPG

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
I used this from Home Depot on my 78 Bronco. It worked very well and no smell yet.

DSC01159.jpg

DSC01182.jpg

I would seriously reconsider using the 30 inch wide Peel & Seal. The 6 inch wide stuff is really easy to work with - especially around compound curves.

This is what I used about two years ago to do the fender wells, flooring in rear and inside the doors. I still have to do my front floor boards. It worked very well and I've had no issues with smell, even when it's been sitting in 104degree heat. I was amazed at how much noise it removed along with the carpet.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
If so wear I hope you have supplied fresh air.

He has a soft top Bronco, of course he has plenty of fresh air.;D

I have a black hard top and I don't smell the peel & seal in mine even in the summer here in Florida.;)

turbotim2

Just curious - has anyone tried to remove any of these products after they have been on there for awhile? Just curious how much sticky residue is left on the metal.