• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

POR-15 the driveshaft?

DuctTape

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
Any reason not to paint my driveshafts after I've cleaned them up and rebuilt them? And any reason not to go with POR-15?

I have done my axle housings, frame, and radius arms with POR-15 and I'm very happy with how they came out (so far). Not cheap but I'm looking to build a rig that's gonna last another 40 years.

It looks so spiffy now I want to do as much as I can to prevent new corrosion and simplify cleaning. When I pulled the body off there was literally a 1/2" of grease-dirt frosting on my tranny/xfer case.

I'd like to be able to just wash the underbody after a mud session to avoid buildup and keep everything healthy, and por'ing the driveshafts seems like a good idea, but you never know what you don't know.

I was planning on having the driveshafts rebalanced after painting. Should I por 'em or just paint them?

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
i'd just paint them. I polished mine to a mirror shine and coated them with clear por and they are rusting under the por. (how the moisture is getting there I'm not sure but it is.) Gotta figure out how to get the por off so I can just paint them.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I would paint a driveshaft with POR. When POR fails, it is due to lack of proper surface prep. Done right, it is tough stuff.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'd just rattle can it...but mine gets drug over stuff and occasionally needs rebalancing and such. The driveshaft guys seem to get a little irritated when they have to grind off POR-15 just to retube and/or balance a shaft. I've seen that stuff stay on engine blocks that sat in hot tanks for a long time...it seems like prepped right or not, the stuff you need to remove is the stuff that's stuck on the hardest in my experience.

broncotime

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grapevine, Texas
I would paint a driveshaft with POR. When POR fails, it is due to lack of proper surface prep. Done right, it is tough stuff.

I used it on mine. I wouldn't do it again because the rocks scrape it off and it's just easier to touch up regular old black rustoleum than POR15. I guess if you're not planning on scraping any rocks, then that's another matter.

robertwhobrey

I guess no one reads much....Por 15 is cheap junk.....RUST BULLET Has them beat .....read the test results....you are better off using ospho then por.....but por has a large budget to advertise ...dosn't mean there better

Only idiots use por 15...just like idiots that like glasspak mufflers

broncotime

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grapevine, Texas
I guess no one reads much....Por 15 is cheap junk.....RUST BULLET Has them beat .....read the test results....you are better off using ospho then por.....but por has a large budget to advertise ...dosn't mean there better

Spoken like a true "newbie". If you try not calling everyone on the list illiterate idiots you might get someone willing to listen to what you have to say. Lighten up a little. We are willing to hear a different perspective but point us towards the research.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru

i have been using por15 over 10 years and so have my street rod buddies. forget the research i have real world experience. i will just keep being an idiot. as far as the drive shaft i would def por it if it is prepped right. por is hard to scratch and it will fade if it sees sunshine, but if you keep the rubber side down that should not be a problem :)

OP
OP
DuctTape

DuctTape

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT

Could you link these test results? Or other discussions about this? I'd like to see why you hold this opinion.

When I did my research (from these boards and others) the consensus was POR-15 was the way to go for stuff that doesn't see the sun - IF you prep correctly, that is. My local shop and other local guys I know have also had great experiences with POR, so that's why I went with them. I'd actually never heard of POR before this, so I dunno about the large advertising budget comment.

If there's a better product/process out there, I'd sure like to know about it.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Everything is prep - you wouldn't paint a car without sanding and cleaning the metal first, why would you POR15 something without doing the same...

I'd just rattle can it - cheap and affective.

Orange Crush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Maryland
Where is everybody getting POR15 these days, online? I read that NAPA carries it but have never seen it there (haven't asked for it yet either).

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What about up-setting the balance of the driveshaft?

Broncobowsher

Total hack

That would be my biggest issue. I remember back living in the rustbelt and they would undercoat cars to try and prevent rust. If they hit the driveshaft it would cause a balance issue. Didn't take much. If you consider what little it takes to get an unbalanced driveshaft into a balanced driveshaft (weld a small washer or two to it) I could easily see painting it with anything thick and heavy to cause issues.

Now how bad will it be? Depends on how much imbalance it creates, other vibrations you may have, sensitivity of the vehicle and yourself. Big knobby mud tires may create so much tire induced vibration you will never notice an out of balance driveshaft. But a stock type build with street tires, it could be very noticable.

Personally I would just rattle can it. That is how my driveshaft shops do it.

I also like the "warning: rotating parts" stickers that shows a body wrapped around the shaft.

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Thats the first thing I thought also.
The few applications of POR that I have seen , it was pretty thick stuff.
Haven't used it myself though , so ....

noreasteb

Loc.
Narragansett
I just painted everything with POR 15. Though it was a pain to prep, I am happy with the results. Everyhting painted in the pics received 2 coats of the POR 15 and 2 coats of either the metal mast (silver color) or the chassis coat. I sprayed it on and it does not appear to be too thick.

Attachments

• CB Rear.JPG
    CB Rear.JPG
    289.8 KB · Views: 61
  • CB Shaft 2.JPG
    CB Shaft 2.JPG
    253.8 KB · Views: 61
  • CB Shaft.JPG
    CB Shaft.JPG
    224.7 KB · Views: 54

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana

Try not to post like a troll.
If Rustbullet is as good as you say, let's see some test results linked, something more substantial than your insulting post.