• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Problem with Duff's ceramic header

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
I've never been happy with the way the passenger side fit. Had a lot of trouble installing the header at the time. Had to file some of the holes to get the bolts to start. I contacted Duffs at the time and they didn't offer to send me a new one. Said they checked their other headers and none were hard to install. They were very nice but I kind of felt I was stuck with mine. It was in and was not worth me taking it off and paying to ship it back at the time just for them to look at it. Wish I had just taken it off and sent it back because when I was working on my throw out bearing last weekend I noticed that the passenger header was resting on the bell housing. So I removed the header to investigate. The ceramic coating is rubbed off and the pipe now has a nice rusty spot. Pisser to pay $400 for a part and find this kind of stuff. Bought in May 2015. First started driving in November 2015. 1800 miles on the truck.

DuffsHeader1_zpsc3w45o20.jpg

DuffsHeader5_zpsjf5allyl.jpg

DuffsHeader3_zpsc0n0bteb.jpg

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I've never been happy with the way the passenger side fit. Had a lot of trouble installing the header at the time. Had to file some of the holes to get the bolts to start. I contacted Duffs at the time and they didn't offer to send me a new one. Said they checked their other headers and none were hard to install. They were very nice but I kind of felt I was stuck with mine. It was in and was not worth me taking it off and paying to ship it back at the time just for them to look at it. Wish I had just taken it off and sent it back because when I was working on my throw out bearing last weekend I noticed that the passenger header was resting on the bell housing. So I removed the header to investigate. The ceramic coating is rubbed off and the pipe now has a nice rusty spot. Pisser to pay $400 for a part and find this kind of stuff. Bought in May 2015. First started driving in November 2015. 1800 miles on the truck.

DuffsHeader1_zpsc3w45o20.jpg

DuffsHeader5_zpsjf5allyl.jpg

DuffsHeader3_zpsc0n0bteb.jpg

I bet Monster Mike will see this and help you out.

Bump to the top.

OP
OP
JAFO

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
Bought them new. It is rubbing on the bell housing. The bulge where the starter bolts. The header is so snug against the bell housing that you need to remove the header to remove the bell housing. Seems a bad design really. There is room on the frame side where the header could have been over a bit, making it not rub and also I think I'd then be able to remove the bell housing without messing with the header. I purchased the headers, the expensive premium gasket set and stage 8 header bolts all from Duff's. Did this install while the body was off the frame, so the engine was right there in front of me and I have to say installing the passenger header was a pita. If the body had been in place it would have been much worse. But at the time I did not notice how tight the header was against the bell housing. And, being a bit of a novice to headers, really didn't think to be looking for such an issue. I was installing a product that was designed for my Bronco is what I bought.

Found this pic from before I installed the headers. I circled where the header pipe rests on the bell housing.
HeaderRub_zpsrrpckrpg.jpg

Here is one pic I had taken of the Duff's exhaust. The passenger header, on its underside what I did not realize is that one pipe is basically resting on the bell housing. Looking for a better pic, but might not have a close up of that area.

BrakeLines7_zps5jxnjdp9.jpg

Last edited:

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored
Have you called Duff's since your original contact? Just curious, sounds like you've given up on trying to get a resolution?

Looking at the picture from the rear the support brackets behind the mufflers are suspect to me. They appear to offer little vertical support which would place stress on the exhaust / headers and may have contributed to the rub?

I'd try calling Duff's & see if there is anything that can be done.

Jrdesigns

Loc.
madison
That stinks I was just about to submit an order for those headers. I was torn between wild horses shorty an these.

OP
OP
JAFO

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
Have you called Duff's since your original contact? Just curious, sounds like you've given up on trying to get a resolution?

Looking at the picture from the rear the support brackets behind the mufflers are suspect to me. They appear to offer little vertical support which would place stress on the exhaust / headers and may have contributed to the rub?

I'd try calling Duff's & see if there is anything that can be done.

No, I haven't called them back since the initial problems during the installation. I just discovered the rub on the bell housing. I was wondering if anyone else is running these headers and was curious of the fit.
Those brackets are what is supplied with the Duff's exhaust kit. I installed them just like they said to do it. I talked to their support guy on the phone and we exchanged a few emails because initially I did not have them installed correctly. Their documentation left a bit to be desired. To hold the bracket I drilled and tapped 5/16" bolt holes in the frame. The bracket is pretty secure to the frame. I guess it can flex a little because it comes with rubber grommets for some flex. I spent a lot on this setup. I was looking for plug and play regarding the exhaust. Something I could install while the body was off. It is so hard regarding selecting aftermarket parts. There is a lot to choose from. And often you have no idea how it is going to work until you make the purchase. It can be frustrating and expensive.

Regarding sag, just FYI when I removed the flange that connects the header to the exhaust pipe the exhaust pipe did not sink down, so I don't think there is much downward pressure on the headers. And crap, in my case the header wasn't going to be sagging since the friggin thing is resting on the bell housing. But I don't think there is undo pressure from the exhaust pipe on the header. The whole system is all Duff's, so it is suppose to work, right?

One last note on the exhaust. The driver's side pipe runs right past the drain plug on the transfer case. I recently drained the gear oil and put in the correct weight oil. To get the plug out I had to use some vise grips on the plug. No way to get a square socket wrench on the plug. Luckily the plug sticks out a lot or I would have been taking apart the exhaust.

I might be sounding picky, but heck I spend good money and I expect quality. And look at my rig. I have spent a lot of time, sweat and blood (and money) on it, like the majority of people on this site.

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored
I hear you, sucks to spend money and have it not perfect but most headers on an EB are a tight fit and looking at that picture I would have been checking everywhere for clearance. Great looking resto and nice work but I'd re-do those hangers though, even a 1/2" bolt won't help them. You can see they are already bent from 90 degrees in the new install. If they continue to flex they will allow that exhaust to move up and down and eventually stress your headers to the point of cracking adding to your displeasure. Maybe fasten those brackets to the body support above so they truly hang and take the stress off the header flange. Not trying to say anyone is right or wrong but imagine trying to hold a 6' 2x4 horizontally in front of you by only holding on to 3" at the end. that's the kind of stress that's being applied to the flange and headers.

OP
OP
JAFO

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
Tedster100. Thanks. Yeah, I guess I should fab some strong angle brackets. I have a plasma cutter, welder and the like. And plenty of scrap iron. I'll make some brackets that will do the job. I guess I need to grind some off my bell housing so the rub stops and I guess I can paint the darn spot on the header with the high temp paint.

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored
Hey, I checked out your garage, looks great. Got any pictures completed?

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I'm jealous. Mine looked nowhere near that good after 2 months. Within a month the coating was flaking off mine..when I called I was told it was my fault. I would jet hot em before you put em back in. My experience was over 10 years ago. Thanks to sites like this the customer service is much improved with most of the vendors.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I'm not really impressed by ANY of the ceramic header coatings. They are always delicate, need special attention. A few years ago we had some exhaust heat issues and one of the engineer wanted to try the coating as a magic fix for all the problems. We did all the instrumentation and ran various versions of coatings and platings. It was surprising how little the ceramic did for temps. The one advantage over chrome plating was it didn't change colors.

OP
OP
JAFO

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
Hey, I checked out your garage, looks great. Got any pictures completed?

Ha, I am sure people are sick of all my pictures by now. But here it is....
I need to update my garage....
Wild Horses 2.5" suspension lift. Yokohama Geolandar 30" x 9.5 tires. Stock steel wheels.

Washed1_zpskxdy1mq3.jpg

Both my toys...
Trucks_zps84cdxgmx.jpg

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
AWESOME BUILD!! hope you find a cure for your problem

Last edited:

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored
Very nice, love the uncut Bronco's, really want to build one. Nice old FJ too!